1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing At The Mull Of Galloway In Winter ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mad mick, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

anyone ever fished the mull in the winter months for cod?

mick

2. congerball

congerball Blenny

Re: mull in winter

Haven't tried but will give them a go this winter as we caught quite a few really small codling of the beaches this summer so prob worth a shot.

3. bow1

bow1 Rockling

stop dreaming mick!!!

4. Gillbo

Gillbo Blenny

If you are after codling stick to the Port Patrick marks as they can throw up odd fish. I have had a couple off Logan pier and West Tarbett but the cod fishing there from the shore isn't that good. We get a few fish out of Port Logan on the boat from the banks but nothing big, 5-6lb the biggest. The inshore coalfish sport can be good if you hit it right though and its one of the only places I have caught haddock from the shore.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What about The Pollack, what happens to them in winter ?

6. Gillbo

Gillbo Blenny

The bigger fish dissappear off shore, where too I'm not sure. The smaller fish and kelpies stay inshore buy these are your small fish from tiny up to about just over 1lb. You do get odd four five pounders but they are rare. The pollack fishing is much better in summer but it'd getting worse and now a 5-6lber is a good fish when they used to be common.

7. Gillbo

Gillbo Blenny

Burrett or Spike would be best to ask on the migration of pollock. An interesting bloke who knows a lot about species and migration is Stevie Boyle who has the big ally catamaran who often goes out of Logan. One thing is for sure is that the fishing there is getting worse in the 15 years I've been going.

8. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

am not dreaming its closer to me than runswick bay is. ............

what about loch ryan area in winter?

next friday night sean. fife

mick

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What makes you think they Migrate ?

10. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Get on the loch ryan sea fishing forum mick.
    Loads of info and pics from all round that area.
    Nice friendly site packed with what you need to know about up there.

11. alan smith

alan smith Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ive fished the old fish farm at loch ryan a number of times for bass in summer and had good results, theres plenty of dogs and small Pollock to be had but ive never fished it in winter. the sea trout are there constantly jumping but ive never managed one. its a few miles past ferry terminal on the left, it has a stream that runs into the sea. worth a look.

12. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've got a mate who's born and bred in Sandhead up there with his own boat, and together with his dad know the place like the back of their hands (shown the Burrets a few marks). I was talking to him last week about the season gone and the lack of big Pollack this year and one thing he said didn't help was there was a big storm early in the summer which ripped a lot of kelp beds out, so destroying the cover for them. He said they do migrate, but no one knows where to (yet), but he suspects deep water wrecks.

They're really worried about the effects the razor boats are having on the bay though, as the method they're using (sending electric charges into the seabed) is not just stunning the razors, but also killing any fry, shrimps etc.

13. alan smith

alan smith Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

someone wants to electrocute them.

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Port William used to produce some good cod off the breakwater during the Autumn , my old mate had one going over 12 lb