1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch Report Fishing At Sandsend Cliffs - 15.9.15

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Carrsythecod, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sandsend Cliffs Catch Report

Hi all

Had a few hours yesterday over high water, ended up fishing 2 up and 2 down. Fished Bernies and Rabbit Holes. Was a nice afternoon / evening to be out. Bit of movement and colour but little to show for it. End result was 1 rockling and an even smaller billet. Lots of little plucky bites but nothing substantial. Bait cart, crab and blacks.
    Appreciate daylight wasn't the best time but since I had missed a few recent chances to get out I was determined to get a bait in the water. Thoroughly enjoyed it, looking forward to the winter now :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

It's just nice to get out fishing on nice days. Bad days fishing is always better than a good day at work

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done having a go

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi all. Last time I was over I fished the flood in front of docs. Had Whitting and flats in a calm sea. Nice place to fish and as said with a bit of sea on can give a coddling or 2. My only problem was the lads wiz zing up and down the beach on motor bike

5. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Also don't know if it's there now as the sand moves. But there was a defo hole to my right. As I was catching did not move and the bike was up that end more

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

On a decent sized tide with 4 hours to fish rather than start 2 hrs before HW start maybe just before HW to 4 hours back , I have many a time been catching cod in such shallow water off the rabbit holes that if I missed a bite my gear came out of the water
    I have then moved to Bernies Ledge and the fish were still there this of course was fishing into darkness , golden rule is Fish it
    a long way back

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You posts are the best, Cliff.
    So glad you didn't stick to your word!
    :)

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Glad you liked the reply , slack tides don't fish the same way or not usually , if you were to fish the goat track beach or the cliff ledges nearby , start a couple of hours after LW and up the flood ---- Now if you were fishing the goat track beach on a good sized tide
    again start not much before HW and expect a good show of cod as the tide starts to EBB

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

@big cliff Many thanks for the info. Now that we have the tides and timings sorted what about casting distance? Any golden rules? I tend to just use a gentle lob but do mix it up looking for the fish. But is it best to be consistent and either go as far as possible or stick really close in?

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What I would say is over the years many a time I have dropped my bait around 80 yards out BUT what you never want to be frightened of is casting at all sorts of ranges and I mean all sorts I have had cod 10 yards out off rock edges and beaches so you never know until you are there on the night Ideally having a second rod cast one out around the 80 yard mark , try some further out if you wish , then drop the other one maybe 40 yds then maybe try reducing the distance for cast or two , obviously fish the same bait
    as that would have a bearing on the outcome , just never be hesitant to try different things COS if you never try you will never know