1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing At Cowbar Jetty ? Safty First...

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by deano72, Jan 20, 2014.

1. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Staithes - Cowbar

Got a message off a mate last night saying he had a walk down cowbar and the waves were coming over the end. Just five minutes later 2 lads go walking down the jetty to the end a start to set up to fish..

Come on lads is ya life worth a few fish.. I think its just madness someone will get killed. . On Saturday night 2 lads on there were clearly drunk and climbing on rock armour, and kept falling over.

All these ppl read somewhere the fish been caught so why not read this and think about it before risking your life for a fish..

There is plenty of anglers on here who have been soaked on there, me been one of them and its scary. So if u dont no a place spend some time doing research or ask plenty of info on here...stay safe

[​IMG]

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Cowbar jetty..safty first...

I think it was maybe you I was talking to yesterday about this Dean ?? There are certain venues where people loose their lives. The Gare has its fare share of deaths and is very dangerous.

The only other venue I can think of locally with potential for death by getting washed in is cowbar Jetty. As it gets more and more popular I think its only a matter of time before we do have a fatality.

By saying this Im not suggesting its the only dangerous mark in the area, but Im saying the potential it has, and the type of Muppet that Jetties attract, makes it a recipe for disaster.

Scars are equally dangerous but it would appear the type of angler who ventures onto rocks is by comparison much more safety conscious and aware of their environment.

Cowbar Jetty is easy. You park up, you walk down and you fish. It attracts people who dont put a lot of thought or effort into anything and someday soon one of them will be dead. Thats harsh to say but Im fully expecting it in the next few years.

With regards to other local piers etc they are dangerous too but its more likely for you to get washed onto or down the pier than into the water, whereas solid low structures like Cowbar your more likely to go in and bang your head on the rocks on the way down.

3. deano72

Yes glenn it was.. like u say its a easy and a very good one too but in the right conditions. . And its not just fisherman who do it.. u have men.lady and kids who dont no the place but think u can go take pictures or have walk to end on big seas.. also there is no signs to say it dangerous but common sense is a must

4. Baramundi Bob

Heres the evidence. The next one will be a fatality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NovhWvLAyVc

5. Baramundi Bob

You cant educate Idiots Dean. The worlds full of them too. Last summer or the summer before some clowndecided to go Kayak fishing at Runswick in 10ft of swell.

Needless to say the lifeboat lads had to pull him out the water. Same type of mentality mate, like I say - MUPPETS.

6. deano72

U right glenn ..I seen it this morning. . A little 16ft boat going down whitby harbour planning on going fishing when there was 10 ft swells breaking in the piers..all charter boats and potting boats still tied up..it madness

7. Baramundi Bob

Dont tell me it went out ?? This is the same sort of swell as when that speedboat sunk and the 3 people were lost. I would say that swell is much bigger than 10ft too. Its massive at sandsend.

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

me and bowesy were talking about this last night while fishing runswick. it was fairly big there but I can imagine cowbar jetty would have been a definite no-go area in that sea, yet I wouldn't be surprised if some muppet went on.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

You've only got to look on here for stories of broken bones, smashed faces and very, very close calls at Cowbar!
    As you all say- its unfortunately a matter of time before we hear some very sad news.

10. LERCH

LERCH Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was on there yesterday afternoon bout half 3 give it n hour then one wave came over the top and took a lad of his feet stood on the boulders I packedup n went to port

11. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

We had gone to Whitby this morning to go out fishing on a charter boat but it was too rough down the end for them to go out saw three big boats go down turn round & come back so you'd have thought them on that raider 18 would have had the sense not to go deano but they went all the same they soon did an about turn when they saw what was banging in

12. Howard

Howard Blenny

Wheres the swell come from? Busy at work getting arsey with everyone because Id rather be fishing. Just popped home and seen the swell news. Is it from north?

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have tipped someone falling badly on the rock armour , going down in between it or getting washed off it , and to be honest lads I personally feel safer sat on a cliff top

14. deano72

Swell iz from the east. U need to be out fishing..

15. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

common sense is a must when you have sea fishing as a hobby, ... and i am of the same opinion as Alan, i would rather be on a cliff top than be on rock armour.... its really dodgy ..one bad move and your over or worse down in between... doesnt bear thinking about if your fishing a flooding tide...

skeers can also be dangerous but if you treat your surroundings and conditions with the respect they both deserve all will be well....... last friday night i was itching to land a fish and had just started to get bites ... and had hung a couple up in the kelp... but the tide was flooding and the swell was getting bigger ..we knew there was a gully that floods and cuts you off ..so we left... me without landing a cod..

i was gutted but i was safe.... i now have the opportunity to return to that mark and i will catch a cod.... all because we played it safe..... and no doubt everyone has heard it all before... a fish is not worth risking your life for....
    stay safe everyone
    Paul

16. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Good post deano it's sad to say but it's only a matter of time before there is a fatality on there I went down yesterday and got speaking to 2 lads and I warned them that the sea will come over at high water they just sed "eye we were on here last nite and 1 came over our heads "!! And then the back fishing on there unbelievable !! They were dressed for a good soaking fladen floatation suit with trainers on!! Haha please lads take note and do your homework before someone is seriously hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Howard

Howard Blenny

Nah its boat fishing M8 2st day wit no wind for an age. You rockers go get em.

18. Baramundi Bob

Anyone who even sets off down the Harbour in that weather is not suitable to own a boat. Anyone who even considered taking the ropes off the pontoon wants shooting, not only are you putting your own lives at risk your also endangering the lives of anyone on your boat and the emergency services who come to pick you out the water.

Rule 1 - Weather forecast, Learn to understand it and learn what effect the weather 100's of miles away has on the swell arriving here. Learn how long that swell travels for to get here (some of those waves were made 24 hrs or more earlier off the coast of Denmark and Norway).

Rule 2 - Swell forecast, predictors and live swell data. 3 Websites give pretty good information. Magic seaweed, Wind guru and CEFAS wave data. The most important being the latter as it gives live information on the swell at numerous places around the UK including Whitby bell bouy.

Rule 3 - Speak to the feckin coastguard.

Rule 4 - Drive to the cliff and look out to sea. Its not flaming rocket science.

If you own a boat and you even contemplating on sailing out today then you should question how fit you are to own a boat and take it to sea. At the very least get some more training or even considering selling your boat and paying someone with some common sense to take you fishing.

19. Big Cast

Big Cast Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Lad's

It was like sunday night i was fishing my match....was fishing whitby from the lighthouse on the west into the harbour there was no chance i was climbing over the gate the sea was massive....there was a few right on the end of whitby west in that sea and yep u can guess what happened ...2hrs into my match 2 lads comming off climbing back over the gate one got washed off by a wave .....luckily he landed on the concrete part of the west and not in the sea.....he was one very lucky guy......as u say it only takes a bit of common sense the waves were comming over the concrete part where the bridge was hitting the lighthouse......no fish is worth risking your life over.

Be Safe Lad's

Best Regard's Darren

20. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member