1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing At Cloughton Wyke Today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mww, Jan 28, 2007.

1. mww

mww Guest

flushed with Friday's success, I opted to try for a piggy yesterday - went to Cloughton in search of a cod of the Ramrod stamp, but finished up with a few Kirpatrick-esque antics.

[​IMG]

Arrived about 8pm, conditions looked good in the back of the wyke - nice swells rolling in, but good black water. Got a 3lber first cast, followed by a mop next cast - put both back. then as I was rebaiting, I turned round just in time to see the massive swell that swamped me!! Didn't have my waterproof on at the time, so whole of my left side got soaked, including what must have been a gallon down the chesties. Rod got swilled up the beach, rest went down the beach & bag fortunately stayed where it was - oddly enough when wave went back I found that in blind panic I'd held onto only my bucket, which contained virtually nothing of value!!

Retrieved my rod just as a second swell did similarly, & had just about given the rest up as lost, but fortunately it'd lodged amongst some rocks!! Only thing missing was my bucket lid (which washed back up 5 mins later).

After that, my dampened enthusiasm only lasted for another 2 or 3 casts, & this plus no more bites meant I packed up around 930. Should really have stayed for the ebb, but clothes were showing no signs of draining!! Couple of good things was it wasn't too cold, & that neoprene socks have proved that they're probably the best thing since sliced bread - although my left leg/ foot were soaked though, & I could feel water squelching about in the boot, my foot never felt wet or cold!! My sock was saturated, though!!

Probably going back out tonight - hope the session's a bit longer & dryer than last nights!!

Mart

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Cloughton 27/01/07

Lets hope the demons of bad luck struck for the last time on my broken fork whilst digging last night and headed south to Cloughton wyke.

Well done on the 2 fish mate and they are there to fight another day.

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It,s good for washing lost items back onto the rocks down there Mart ;D You,ve got to take the rough with the smooth, don,t expect a codling driveway every time you go. Sounds like you,ve got the Baramundi curse! :'(

4. mww

mww Rockling

Ray

Yep, forgot that those occasional big lifts sometimes come in handy!!

Went back again last night - fished Spider Hole area this time - nowt on the ebb, then a bite a chuck on the flood, but only landed 3. Couple of 3lbers & a mop, dropped a couple of mops off & missed the rest!!

Sea did its best to soak me again!! Seemed everywhere I went to stand, spray got directed towards me - fortunately I'd had the sense to put my jacket on!! Nearly lost my rest again, though!!

Any good up the road on Sunday? Chris & Mont didn't manage to dent the Whitburn cod population I heard!!

Mart

5. mww

mww Rockling

Ray

just seen your report about the comp - must remember to read all posts before typing!! Well done to all - hope Andy's back held out ok!!!

Mart

6. Baramundi Bob

Information and pictures on Cloughton and other north east marks at :

http://www.photorecce.co.uk/cloughton_wyke.html

7. mww

mww Rockling

Cloughton Today

Took a few pics this afternoon to show sea state - unfortunately the sea was more easterly than the SE that would have been perfect.

[​IMG]

Fished the back of the Wyke tonight, but a lot of loose weed - didn't stay long!!

8. Baramundi Bob

Re: Cloughton Today

Nice picture Martin. was there any colour in the water or had it dropped out ?

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Glen that water looks coloured to me.

10. Barny

Barny New Member

just got back in from cloughton fished from 1 hour b4 low water 1 fish between 10 rods :mad: :mad:

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

That looks a nice place ,its somewere ive never fished
    ,looking from photorecce dont you park round the cliffe from there and walk round to there at low water and fish it up then down to get back to your car ?

12. mww

mww Rockling

Dav

You park at the end of the road, which is aboiut 1/4 mile north of the "Wyke" where I took this - you can walk round at low water, or there's a path down where the stream is in the pic.

Not a really difficult get down, but have a look & check if you fancy it - there's a bit that the stream washed away at the bottom of a set of wooden steps where there's a scaffold board that's sometimes a bit slippery, but there's a bit of rope to keep hold of - better to be safe than sorry, though.

Sea was really a bit big for yesterday's easterly direction - something that size needs to be SE to be easily fishable, particularly at low water. Problem at high water was the amount of undertow & a few bits of weed which made it worse.

Another of yesterday's pics, or a few "stitched" together with some panoramamic software....

[​IMG]

Cheers

Mart

13. Baramundi Bob

Couple of pics I took last year when having a look about. Still haven't managed to catch a fish yet though :'(.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

good photo mww considering the ammount of wind and rain that must have been blowing in your face, is that wraggle scar in the distance on the right hand side? (I've never fished on there)

15. mww

mww Rockling

Rain & wind's no problem when you're as slim & lithe as me - just dodge the raindrops!!! ;D

Yes, it's Raggle Scaur in the distance. Worth a try when it's a bit calmer - plenty of tangles, although does get a bit softer ground towards the end on a bigger tide.

Mart

16. Baramundi Bob

I fished it in the bell trophy this year. The wind was blowing straight out the back of the Wyke and it felt like a siberian winter. Wrap up warm and take a nice flask of beefy bovril ;D should you ever venture around there.

17. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

the wife spelt raggle with an R and i scolded her and said its spelt with a W,

18. Baramundi Bob