1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing a rapala for salmon

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by rupert, Oct 4, 2010.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

2. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Quite an experience there and some brilliant info about the classic rapalas! I've used them quite a bit for Pike & Bass and they are still some of the best lures around, even with modern £30 examples flying about these days. I think everyone should have a few rapalas in their lure box......

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats a brilliant writeup rupert , All this talking of salmon n trout is making me kick my self for not renewing my licsense this year . :sad:
    Ive got a couple of floaters and countdowns in orange and firtiger i think , I did mange to raise one fish on a orange one but it never stuck . i think i pulled it away from it . just my luck with seatrout... :cheesy: :embarrass:

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Superb article Rupert, a real joy to read. I do like a good fishing story and you have a knack for writing the best!

I'll have to give that sort of fishing ago at some point, perhaps next season.

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Sam

Don't wait for next season! Prime time for numbers of fish is from now onwards.

The season on the Esk runs till the end of October.

You can get day tickets for salmon on the Annan until the 15th November and being in Scotland, you don't need to buy a migratory fish licence either. Tickets can be bought here;

http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Annan/index.asp?dom=Annan

Have a look at the homepage at least. :yes:

You never know your luck, Emily might be on the river bank and be able to show you how she does it! :wink: :wink:

6. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

fantastic report rupert,

i hooked and lost my first ever two last night. what a feeling when one of those things hits

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

Bad luck! How long did you have them on Dan?

Lure or fly?

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I can't afford to be fishing Scotland Rupert but it does look good, will have a proper look through their website later today. However it's not exactly cheap to get the license so I guess it's six and two threes.

Dan, did you hook those Salmon by accident whilst Bassin or did you set out to target them on the river? pm me if you prefer.

Cheers,
    Sam

9. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Nice article Rupert, thanks for posting it.

10. rupert

rupert Blenny

Sam this cost thing is a bit of a myth.

Firstly, you don't need a migratory fish licence to fish for salmon in Scotland. Secondly, even at this time of year on the Annan, there's plenty of day tickets available from £20/day (about the same price as a local days trout fishing round here). The only downside is if the river is unfishable, you don't get a refund - (but you could book as late as you dare).

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Thanks for the info Rupert, I'll keep an eye on it. Never know I may well be putting up a report like yours Rupert, well, with perhaps a few more fish :wink: :embarrass:

13. rupert

rupert Blenny

That's unlucky - normally they engulf flying C's.

Some C's have trebles that are two fine in the wire in my opinion. These can lead to losses.
    It's one lure I never buy mail order - I always buy them over the counter where I can inspect the hooks on'em first.

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Firstly, great article Rupert- fantastic reading.

I have to agree with you on the trebles issue- I got a 10lb salmon last Sunday on a yellow flying C and I'm so glad I had no idea of how bent the hook had become during the fight.

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Haven't seen you on here for a while Bucko, where you been hiding? :cheesy:

Nice fish by the way, wouldn't say no to a 10lb Salmon, bet it went like a steam train!

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Now then Sam- I literally haven't had time to go online since being made redundant and having to work longer hours and often working away but, hopefully it won't be for long.

Aye, it was a lovely clean fish that made some terrific runs and refused to be beaten - my first salmon on braid too which added to the fight no end.
    Hope you are well.

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Sorry to hear about being made redundant, find out if our lass is next week.

Good news about the Salmon though, and lets be honest that's more important! :wink:

18. rupert

rupert Blenny

Well done on your 10lber Bucko! :yes:

I was talking to Paul who owns York Carp Centre Tackle shop in York yesterday. He fished the Esk last Sunday on one of the free streches and said there were a nice few fish about.

Was yours an Esk fish?

19. bucko

bucko New Member

Hi Rupert, sorry for the late reply- yes it was a fresh as they come hen. What a scrapper she was- I tried tailing for the first time and got a faceful of water! Still, it took my mind off the wader full I got landing it.