1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FISHFINDERS FOR KAYAK FISHING

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by shammy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. shammy

shammy New Member

I've just bought a kayak and being looking for a fishfinder for it, i've being looking at a Garmin Fishfinder 90 Portable but it does not say if its waterproof or not does anybody know? cheers wayne

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Re: fishfinders

Qiunt or Ramrod are the boys to ask.Send them a PM and i'm sure they will help you out ;D

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Not sure, I was wondering the same when I was looking for one. I assumed that the ones which never stated it, were,nt, but I,m not 100% ???

4. smokey

smokey Rockling

;D Blows my answer out the water ;D

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

;D Never rely on me :-\ or a Humminbird :'( which are all waterproof incidently, but they conk out easily :p

6. steerser

steerser Blenny

not 100% certain but i would say it would be water resistant enough for an open boat/dinghy but i wouldn't recomend it for yakking where it might take a ducking.
    a lot of the cheaper garmin sounders are designed for fresh water use..so if you go for a garmin, get a garmin blue..designed for saltwater use and are deffo waterproof ;)

7. newdave

newdave Guest

Hi there

i have the Garmin 90, only done a couple of trips with it but pleased so far, it is waterproof. the usual 1m for 30 mins but i can't hold my breath that long anyway !

but seriously we got a bit of green stuff over the top last time out and no problem.

the one problem is the size of the plug which requires a 28mm hole to pass it through, i have used a gland that i bought from Scarborough marine. if you decide to buy one i can send you some photo's of my installation.

Dave

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I have an Eagle Cuda 128 which has been submerged on more than one occasion when the FF has been under for a while, and been through plenty of surf, and so far it's been alright - I would expect the Garmin to perform likewise - have a look at some of the sites that Glenn has links to on here, and if you do a wordsearch you will be able to find out the most popular product - good luck

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi there thought I d add my two peneth also, ;D. I ve got a Lowrance M52i which is a fishfinder/gps combo, so saves having to buy a handheld gps (which you might drop overboard !!)
    The unit is waterproof,I wash it in the washing up bowl after each trip to get the salt spray and depending which way up the yak has been (best get that in before Ramrod a.k.a.Bubba does((remember though Ray your secret is safe with me ;) ;))it gets pretty wet at times.
    It cost a little more than the basic fishfinder but less than the cost of handheld gps plus a fishfinder seperately.
    I think a lot is down to personal pref. but there seems to be a little problem with the Humminbird units steaming up,another yakker I know has had problems with his Garmin. The Eaglecuda quint uses is virtually the same model as mine but without the gps and is a little more basic feature wise (the lowrance is more powerful, causes quints to stop working when we are nearby eachother).

What yak are you getting/got you local to Scarb or Hull as I m sure we could help you out with any stuff that you are pondering over. Just hope you ve got deep pockets cos the bloody yak seems to just keep absorbing my wages !!! Great fun though, wish the weather would break to allow us all to get out again !!

Cheers Dave a.k.a Jellyworm.

10. shammy

shammy New Member

cheers lads, i got the Prowler Big Game not had chance to take it out yet cos of the weather gonna try it out at south landing where its nice and shallow when its nice and carm, i live near to pocklington hope to be fishing flamb and scarb area so will probably see you lot out and about

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ok matey if you fancy a natter some time about the yaks pm me and we can have a natter via phone, i found it a minefield staring up but robq,ramrod and yakmeister quint kept me right. ;D ;D

Cheers Dave

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

but not upright ;D Now don,t be tempted to say something you should,nt Dave :-X

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Bubble bubble bubble bubble....hang on let me get this thing righted first.... ;D

14. shammy

shammy New Member

does anyone know where to buy the Eagle Cuda 128 Portable Fishfinder or the 168 portable on the web
    cheers

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I got the previously mentioned Lowrance unit from the following, excellant service delivered within 2 days.

www.bluev.co.uk

Cheers Dave.

16. cps

cps Rockling

roomer has it that ramrod needs safety lines on his rods while yaking ;)

17. shammy

shammy New Member

nearlly bought the 168 from there but there on there hol's untill end of month

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

cps !!!!! now remember careless talk costs people fish !!!.....lol.... ;D

19. steerser

steerser Blenny

http://www.redcar-fish.co.uk/productinfo.asp?id=431&parentcategory=91&category=Eagle

20. shammy

shammy New Member

the portable 168 is out of stock i sent them a email the other day to see when the where geting some in but they have not replyed yet