1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fishfinder chart plotter combo help

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by gleadall474, Jan 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

I'm looking at a Lowrance Elite-4 HDI for my kayak. Can anyone tell me if the chirp version is worth the extra money I've seen the hdi for £199.

Guys your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks dave

2. robq

robq Rockling

Not sure about the chirp version but I have the seperate 4 hdi ff and the seperate plotter with local map and they are superb

The sidescan image in up to 60ft is amazing in my sib

I got both seperate units for around the same price as the combo unit as its easier having both screens on full size when trying to find a wreck or lump than with a split screen that I had previously:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. LuisFisher

LuisFisher New Member

My recommend for you at this time is a Garmin striker 4, just about $120 and it's the best for your kayak.

4. northseafun

northseafun Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There have been some problems with the Lowrance Elite-4 combo's with water ingress in the card slot.The Striker units are good value but there are no maps on the gps ok if someone shows you the mark/wreck.

5. LuisFisher

LuisFisher New Member

6. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Rob I am also after a new set up for my sib ,what exactly do you have the 2 different models

7. robq

robq Rockling

I bought the 2 seperate models for several reasons chris

Ive had a combined unit before and didnt like the reduced size of the individual screens on a 4 inch screen, its hard to see exactly where you are on the GPS and interpret the sonar image on such small screens. The 2 units side by side each with the 4.3 in screen is great :)

The 2 units I bought were actually cheaper than the combined unit and allowed me to invest in the detailed chart for the elite 4M plotter for our coast which was an extra 85 quid but has all wrecks, hazards, depths etc and is well worth investing in ;)

I have a backup handheld GPS too but its nice having them spread across 3 units in case 1 fails at sea.

The elite 3 x DSIsonar has downscan imaging and shows bottom structure and fish really well even up to around 80ft, mackerel were showing as individual specks on the screen when a shoal passes by :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  8. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Rob Thank you very much for your reply,I shall do some looking around for the models.

9. LopezEnzo

LopezEnzo New Member

CHIRP is really worth it. As it is series of beam sent down each expert in scanning its own depth. Dual beam can go deep but its not necessarily going to show you details of each foot as the shallow or deep wave is not particularly designed for intermediate depths. Therefore, go for CHIRP its worth it if you can afford.