1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fisheries Vision - Meeting Dates

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Leon Roskilly, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

Dear all

You may be aware of the Fisheries Vision which is currently out to
    consultation until April 26th.

(see: http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Political-News/Fisheries_2007.html )

Between now and then we have organised a series of trips around the coast to talk to the industry about the Vision and get their input.

I have had a few calls from recreational sea anglers saying that the trips have not been advertised enough.

I therefore wondered if you would be able to spread the word and publicise these forthcoming events.

If there are any websites, newsletters etc Id be most grateful if the following dates could be menitioned.

Feb 28th- Scarborough : Crown Hotel, 19.00 start

March 15th- Grimsby : National Fish Heritage Centre, 'fred smith room'.
    14.00 start

March 21st- Lancaster : Holiday Inn, 18.30 start

March 22nd- North Shields, Fishermens Mission- - 14.00 start with merchants,
    19.30 start with industry.

March 26th- Lowestoft- Hotel Victoria- 19.00 start

March 30th- Hastings : Horntye Park, Bohemia Road- 14.00 start

April 3rd- Plymouth : - The China Pub, 14.00 start.

Many thanks. Please get in touch if you want to discuss.

Best wishes
    Beth

Strategic Policy Team
    Defra
    3-8 Whitehall Place
    London SW1A 2HH

0207 270 8156
    Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Just so those of you unsure of how to use external links dont miss out this is what it says on Leon's site about these meetings

3. Baramundi Bob

Leon

Are these not the same people who have turned a blind eye to illegal fishing in our area and the uk as a whole for so long ? are these not the same people who have ignored scientific advice on cod stocks from ICES for the past decade or more ?

What makes you think we can trust them to manage or sport ? and why do they all of a sudden think that recreational sea anglers need to be managed ???

I wont be at the meeting as unfortunately I have a real important appointment (a club match). I would urge anyone able to get there to go and ask these people some questions.

4. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

See:

http://shorterlink.co.uk/11991

5. Baramundi Bob

Did anyone go ? The Doc is asking about it over at the Yalasa forum

http://yalasa.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1172502992

6. gwyn

gwyn Blenny

Hi Glenn
    I went, I have posted my thoughts on the Yalasa site, I felt it was a poor turnout by anglers as I was the only one who spoke regarding RSA.

Gwyn

7. Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly New Member

These are the people who will be making the decisions that will affect our sport in the years to come.

Not only formulating policies that will decide the number and quality of fish available to anglers, but what regulations and impositions will be placed on angling.

And that will affect whether there will be anglers fishing matches in future, and how many will bother.

Someone needs to talk to them.

Gwyn, thanks for making the effort with your small but important voice.

If only there had been more to make that voice louder.

If only there had been many more to make it deafening.

(Even if those at the meeting weren't from the 'top draw', they will be carrying a message back to DEFRA in London)

I guess that we will have to wait to see now, what the future of angling in the NE is likely to be.

8. Baramundi Bob

Hi Gwyn

Sorry I couldn't make it mate. I'm sure we will meet up at one of these things soon and thanks for speaking up it sounds like you raised some points that I would have done. It does need pointing out just how few anglers these groups like nfsa and sacn represent. Its a shame that not many anglers went but for some reason there isn't really much interest. A poster on anglersnet called challenge has a theory that the majority of anglers just want to get on with things as they always have done without any hassel from anyone. Allthough I often disagree with This person I do wonder if what he says is true in this instance. I cant think of any other explanation for it.

Like I say sorry I couldn't be there but I had a club match which I wouldn't miss for anything.

9. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

A few more things need pointing out too.

This strategy will happen with or without input from anglers.

The reason that SACN or NFSA get to go along and represent anglers is because they are prepared to do so, and they have some sort of structure and consultation process.

If you want to make your voice heard you have got to go and speak up.

The fact that only one angler from the area could be bothered to go along and make his voice heard demonstrates perfectly well why bodies like the NFSA and SACN get to be the voice of ALL anglers.

It is because they are the only ones speaking!