1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fish Flash - Kayak Fishing For Tope

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Jul 23, 2008.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

just received and excited call from shirley now to be known as topeyken

quote "i am sitting 1.5 mile off tunstall with a f**kinf great tope on my lap :laugh: :laugh:

He had to be first :yes: :yes: :laugh:

2. newdave

newdave Guest

Re: fish flash

further update folks, the first kayak caught tope on the yorkshire coast, mobile phone picture but i am sure there are more to come
    [​IMG]
    i maybe mistaken but it looks a lot like jellyworm to me :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

3. Volusian

Volusian New Member

superb .. can't wait to see the pics ... !!

i assume he did in fact take his camera with him .. ? :tease:

4. Volusian

Volusian New Member

bugger ... beat me too it ........ lol

What a superb Tope Ken ........ hats off to you kiddo ..! :happy:

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well done Ken.
    Yes I'll have that,lean athletic,muscular,skin not wrinkled, and known to be occasionally aggresive at taking fish...yup you're not far wrong Dave :kiss:

6. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done ken, great fishing and another new fish for you kayakers. Its really taking off for you lot now :happy:

7. robq

robq Rockling

Well done Ken :yes: well done on the 1st yak caught shark on the yorkshire coast :surprise: :surprise:

8. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

i bet u had fun getting that in the boat :canadian:

9. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

top fish shirley well done!!!

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

What can I say, thanks guys, what an amazing experience. Put in at Tunstall mid afternoon after a crap day at work, went home and grabbed my kit and a load of macky out the freezer.

'Set sail' northeast towards Holmpton :embarrass:

[​IMG]

Had to steam a good mile and a half to two miles seawards to get some water that didn't look like chocolate. Anchored up to the stern in 40 foot of water at around about low water. made up some chum out of macky and put it in netting from an old landing net. Tied this to my anchor line.

[​IMG]

Then set about rigging up, had some shop bought rigs, 7/0 hook, wire trace and 100lb leader, was using my slosh 30 with 20lb braid. Baited up with a macky flapper . . .

[​IMG]

I felt confident, really confident, knew I was over the right ground, thanks on that one Chris, tide was steaming through now though which was the only negative point.

[​IMG]

Laid back and got comfortable, a bit of chop had now formed as it was wind against tide making it a little uncomfortable but it was gorgous out there without a cloud in the sky.

[​IMG]

Saw the tip go and then a run, I struck within seconds but nothing there, damn but at least I knew fish were there, dragged in a beaten flapper so rebaited and settled back down - I quite like the idea of this lazy type fishing :cheesy:.

Then bang the tip went again and another screaming run, I struck and f*ck me the rod was nearly yanked from my hand, it screamed off again, then I made a bit of progress for it to yet scream off yet again. I started to make more progress but what a manic fight, it was bang bang bang, never had a scrap like this before in my life. My lead then broke the surface and I pulled myself around back into the yak - I couldn't get over the shape of this thing coming up.

[​IMG]

It eventually tired and I got it along side with the hook clearly visible in the corner of its mouth

[​IMG]

What a beautiful fish, so damn good looking . . .(just like you Jellyworm :wink: :laugh: )

I removed the hook in the water and she was fine and fairly placid so I thought what the hell, i put a rag over her eyes and grabbed a pectoral and her dorsal and in one easy swoop slid her onto my lap. With the rag over her eyes she was fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gently slid her back in on the opposite side and one flick of that great tail and she was gone, no worse for wear. What an brill experience, I think I sang all the way back in. :cheesy:

Got close to the shore and noticed a breaker had developed so stowed away the rods before riding it in. What a fantastic afternoon/evening

[​IMG]

I certainly dont think its a huge tope, I'm fairly glad in a lot of ways. If any of you guys who catch these fish regularly can gestimate the weight I would appreciate it, certainly over 4 foot in length tho.

Cheers guys

Ken

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Absolutely awesome. Well done Ken that was fantastic what a brilliant read.

12. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

well done ken i thought you would be fishing today
    cheers ian

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sat having a beer now, I cannot but help think what a gorgous fish, I had so much respect for it - even if it did keep snorting at me. :cheesy:

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Your going to re-live every moment of that trip mate for a while to come...superb effort big slap on the back for having a go....you ve got me fired up for Sunday now ,Im just hoping and praying for the weather to be ok.

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

FLIPPIN ECK KEN!!! :scare:

Whooooo's the daddy!! What an awesome fish, I bet you are on cloud nice matey :canadian: :canadian: Well done, I'm well pleased for you :yes:

Only thing is I can't see the new Extreme Kayak Fishing sticker anywhere :wink:

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ken where did you get the rigs from ? local ?

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ner mate, fleebay but they nothing special at all, in fact after what Doc was saying I dont think they very good. We better off making our own up.

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

you going out again then Ken at the week end ?

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Fantastic Ken! what a great result for you, and something you,ll never forget. Sat here with a smile on my face after reading that, and there was me thinking you were a normal bloke :canadian: :laugh:

20. newdave

newdave Guest

just woke up after all that sunshine a big steak and a bottle of wine & it wasn't a dream :no:. well done ken now you have kicked our asses will you go to work tomorrow. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: