1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fish finder only OR a combo unit for the Yak

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Andyk22, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Andyk22

Andyk22 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi all,

Well ive uncovered my yak after putting it away for the winter and ive started trawling through websites and on ebay buynig all the little luxuries i didnt get last Sept when i bought it........rod holders and little fiddly bits to tie on my PFD to hang crap off.............then ive bought the crap to hang off the fiddly bits and essentially ive spent loads of money on STUFF!

'You can never have enough fishing stuff!!!!' i hear you say ;D

I now find myself reading review after review on fish finders / sounders and i thought i had settled on a Garmin 301c OR perhaps as a treat the larger 501c...................then an article hit me about a sounder with GPS built in and being able to find that wreck / feature and simply press a button and mark it on your screen for next time your out and ease of location.........'brilliant' i thought..................the kids can go hungry for a week and im having one of those with the saved money!!!!

i then read a few more articles and there seems to be a bit of dissagreement whether they are worth the extra few pound, so folks, does anyone have an experience of these types of sounders / gps combo units and can you recommend a good one?

Are they really as accurate as they state i.e. iv found a feature on my sounder, press the button to save the location and then i simply paddle straight to it next fishing session and BOOM, there it is!! ;)

any models worth having a read up on????

many thanks

Andy

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

buy a Garmin if there good enough to use in Aeroplanes there good enough to use on a boat / Kayak

3. robq

robq Rockling

I found a combo unit on my dorado a pain in the ass :(

I prefer to have 2 seperate units so that you can look at the gps waypoint and also the sonar bottom profile at the same time :)

Some gps marks have good ground scattered around and its handy to be able to see both screens at the same time

4. dunlin

dunlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have used a Garmin GPSmap 551 combo gps/ fish finder ( as have two of my boat owner friends) for the last two seasons, and we all have been very happy with both aspects of the unit. Navionics kindly sent me their latest prototype Chart, which I used last week for the first time. The navigation chart was much improved, the depth lines were certainly more detailed. The unit is not the cheapest on the market , but having had four Garmin products before , I believe that you can't go wrong with them.

5. dunlin

dunlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Further to my last post, the 551, does give you the option to navigate to a waypoint while watching the bottom on a split screen. I agree, it is a very useful tfacility to have and use it a lot.

6. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

of course you need a gps as well as a fishfinder, else you wont be able to accurately get back to your marks, whether you have a combo or 2 separate units is a matter of preference, but personally I have a huminbird combo unit that I bought soon after starting kayak fishing and its still doing the business. I would recommend going down that route as it will be both cheaper and easier to operate than separate units.

7. Andyk22

The 551 is probably a bit overkill for the kayak but its good to know they are of use!!

Spawneydave - I don't think you 'need' both, there are guys out there that don't bother with either and seem to do OK?

I have had a read up tonight and like the look of the 'lowrance elite 4x dsi' as its small enough for the yaj but has both sounder and plotter and looks (using YouTube and other suspect sources) to be a decent bit of kit. Has anyone any experience of this model folks??

8. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

opinions are like arsehole, we all have one and they are not all the same, you decide ::)

9. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Not lost ur charisma then Dave LOL ;)

10. robq

robq Rockling

Andyk22 I dont get it ??

You ask for advice on a combo unit and then have a dig at spwaney for giving hos opinion on why you need both separately ::)

Even though its different advice to which I gave you really shouldn't be so rude to one of the best kayak anglers on this forum !

Dave has a lot of experience in kayaking and kayak angling as well as boat fishing !

If you already know all the answers then why waste our time asking for advice ??

11. Andyk22

woah woah woah, easy tiger?!? i wasnt having a go AT ALL!!

i thought forums were about discussion and having different opinions and sharing ideas...........

Dave - if you think i was having a go i apologise, i most certainly wasnt, was just trying to discuss a point

Robq - it appears this is another case of the written word being interpretted incorrectly, however if you ever have a problem with what i say then feel free to PM me rather than doing this, it only causes bad feeling and diverts from the original question i was asking

i most certainly dont think i 'know all the answers'..........does anyone really.........and as i said in my first question i only bought the yak end of last summer ;)

12. robq

robq Rockling

If I did misinterpret your reply to Dave then I apologise Andy

It looked to me like you were telling him that there was no need to have gps and a FF on a yak, which I thought was in contradiction to your original post ?? where you were asking for other peoples opinions on the matter

It didnt seem to add up and it did seem like it was a dig at Dave's reply to you.

As you say the written word can be interpreted several ways :-\

Again apologies :)

13. Andyk22

No thats cool Robq #lovein

re my query, i do have a small garmin GPS unit......cant recall the model, but its a cheapy yellow thing, and it doesnt seem to read correctly, hence me thinking about buying a combined unit...........whenever ive launched from redcar it has be just turning off the A66 basically.........rather than buying another GPS and Fishfinder :(

i guess its all about the mounting of them and getting it right and also ease of use of the unit really i.e. how quickly can you switch between FF and GPS........although it seems the Lowrance i mentioned does do split screen (if a bit small for viewing?)

14. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

andy,

some thoughts from martin, screen size may be suitablet for a yak.

We had the elite 5xdsi on the cat for potting bri.
    I couldn't fault it for marking the hard inside,quite detailed and clear, the one thing i will say is if it's the down scan imaging bit that's drawing you in,look elsewhere cause it's sh1te, but as a stand alone sounder it's a decent bit of kit, i have a 4xdsi still in the box which came with my tinny, the screen is small but it does the same as its big brother.

the lowrence vid on you tube can be of use ,

if andy m still uses this site, hell give you some "sound" advice