1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first trip in.the yak this year

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by hopper, May 20, 2014.

1. hopper

hopper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Had my first trip in the yak this year off skinningove went of 7.30 run.of hummersea about 3/4 of a mile expected to drift real fast with big tides but no hardly moved at all the water was pretty murky so i attached a little popper onto the bottom hoki anyway to cut it short after 2hours 1retuned 3.for the pan and 2down to Sammy the seal wind started to blow there was a few other kayaks off and as i got to shore easy yaker was just going off

2. Crazy Stu

Crazy Stu Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one. I was out Saturday morning from Skinny. Tide was too fast to hold bottom most of the time and the water was quite green. I managed a couple of small Codling and a Pouting (all returned) and lost a couple more on the way up. A couple of the other kayakers I spoke to didn't have much luck either with just small bits and pieces being caught. I also had Sammy the seal by my side. LOL.

3. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

Good to see you again on Saturday after two years, Hopper. You came in at the right time as the wind really whipped up later on and with the big tide was causing some pretty rough sea until the flood started, when it calmed a lot. Like you I found it difficult drifting and even with a drogue I was just getting pushed out to sea with the offshore wind, so the ratio of paddle to drift was quite high. I fished hokkai and daylights but was pulling out fish the size of fish fingers so switched to shad which produced nothing. Twintails were a better option and gave me three cod; keepers but all under 3 lb. Apart from the wind the weather was perfect and I had a red face at the end to prove it. For any epicurean readers, fresh cod straight on the barbecue, is absolutely bland and best avoided!