1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first time down boulby rope

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, Sep 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

myself and a friend decided last night we had to get out.knew conditions not to good but what the hell.
    decided on a scout around simmy scar and divers hole more as arecce than anything else,having fished it couple times last winter.
    anyway in our eagerness,we where t5oo early to get round and my mate,ian,suggests we scout out the rope at boulby and have alook,hes had a few doubles from there a fewn years back!but been outa fishing a while.
    anyway found the rope easy had a look over the side and thought "what the f**k".however there was alarge dirty patch of water,and we decided to give it a go as it looked our best chance of a fish given the flat sea.descent not to bad but in daylight and dry,and set up as tide strted to ebb at bottom of rope.
    fished until 11ish,wiyh only one lobster to ian and 4 rockling to me,still nice to be out!
    now came the ascent,it started badly on way to bottom rope i went arse over tit on rocks[leg badly bruised]and was lucky not to smash my face intom a huge boulder,it shook me up a bit thought of a head injury down there!!
    anyway pulled myself together and slowly made the ascent without further incident!
    i was kucky also to find i had a fone signal,just in case,uusually cant.
    next time will plan to go there,i lose a lot of weihght,and nolt do it in neoprene chesties!!!!!
    anyway an enjoyable night,another new mark,though no cod.YET!!!!!

2. bow1

bow1 Rockling

help wiyh boulby

just posted my first descent of the infamous rope!
    forgot to as,if you dont mind,
    1,fished it down to low infront of rope,am in in a good spot,
    2,wher is the big gulley ive seen photos of in relation tom bottom of rope.
    3,at bout half ebb noticed we are fishing in not much water,does this mean it is more of a high water mark,or given a good sea is water depth/state of tide irrespective?
    4,can you walk in /out from staihes,any cut offs pointers??
    5,any tips on rigs/baits/owt else?
    many thanks for reading this and in anticipation of tour respnses
    sean

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

It depends which rope you took as to how far it is to Boulby Gulley. If you took the first decent after walking from Boulby Village (Firemans hose) then its about 500 -1000 yards roughly back in the direction of Staithes. Boulby Gulley itself lies directly below the house where some people park up. If you took the second rope then its further still. On route there are some interesting little runners and holes. 2 good runners are near the rockfalls. and you have a third which runs into/parallel to the gulley itself. There are also a few shots around the bottom of the rope. Thats what little I know but if you put some time in it can be a phenomenal spot. Ive had a couple of decent bags down there but I know some years a lot of opens and the whitby club is won and lost in that area.

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

as glenn said boulby gulley is just in line with the village it can be a great mark , LW around 1 MTR with not to much sea on a steady
    lob is quite sufficient 1,5 hours before LW OVER THE LW AND EARLY FLOOD will usually give best results, theres another couple of marks
    before you get to the BOILER HOLE which id the next major gulley you come to , then you have the area around the white post gulley
    then the STREET LAMP GULLEY then COWBAR GULLEY all can do the biz on the right night, going the opposite way from boulby rope
    ie towards SKINNINGROVE you have GREEN TOP ROCK GULLEY which is in line with the second rope , then a few minutes walk you come
    to WHITESTONES which again can be a top mark and as long as you dont mind marooning yourself you can fish it SAFELY over the HW
    then you have LINTYCOCK STONE marked on the OS map then the W GULLEY several smaller gulleys then onto THE OLD HARBOUR at
    HUMMERSEA then HUMMERSEA BEACH which you can access by way of steel steps , then onto SKINNINGROVE itself

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hummersea and Boulby are my favourite marks on our coastline for winter cod fishing, loads of marks to go at on varied conditions and tides not a fan of really big sea's at these spots like Big Cliff said i do prefer a gentle roll, Boulby holds the colour really well, and can produce quality bags in daylight because of this, so its a favourite spot of the daylight cod match man but can also fish well after dark.. It use to produce some really big bags of fish and still has the potential to throw up a big fish, the best i have heard of was 23lb out of Gin Hole (Boulby Gulley) but have heard of some good fish in the upper teens in the past..

Gin Hole

[​IMG]

I was down a couple of weeks back checking to see if the ropes need any work doing for the coming season but they seem fine, didn't manage to check on the Whitestones rope as didnt have time, but will check it out in the next couple of weeks as it had slipped a bit last time i was down that rope..

Green top rock rope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boiler Hole.

[​IMG]

There is loads of diffrent spots at Boulby not just the ones that stick out like a sore thumb, best advice i can give is look at it on a big tide and mark down the holes, shelves, depressions etc and work out were you would be on a meter or so tide when there is water hanging in them and try to familiarise yourself with the locations..

Dav on his way down whitestsones rope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tightlines

6. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Not being a rock angler, I've never fished marks similar to your photos Gary. I've only ever fished rock marks into deeper water like the Brigg, Marine Drive, Flamborough etc.

What I'm trying to get at is that on the photo of Gin Hole, it appears that the water around its edge is shallow (as indicated by the waves) I have noticed this on a few photos of other well known spots as well. I've jsut got a couple of questions;

Are the Gulleys real deep? Like how do good fish get in there if it's real shallow? I do realise that I am probably asking a stupid question, and I'm probably being decieved about the depth of the water by the image.

Just this winter I'd like to mix it up a bit and try a few marks further north as well and my normal Holderness haunts, but I'll need a game plan before I do :)

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hiya Kev, dont be put off by the white water, the cod love running the shallow ledges and depressions, holes and the open scaurs when the sea is running, it is shallow compared to some marks but with a decent depth just offshore, the swell picks up quickly and movement and colour is what you want for the best results.
    I have found the better fish normally turn up on the nights when the sea has just fallen away this is only my opinion maybe they dont like the white water as much as the smaller codling and tend to stick to the deeper gulleys..

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

as gary said dont be afraid of the white water , gulleys can be a good scource of fish but there are many times the fish are out on the
    open scaur , plenty of times ive thought to myself where looks really crap , cast in and bang i was into fish , this usually works better
    after dark , i wish i had a tenner for everytime ive struck my gear out of the water at bites in 2 foot of water when fishing off the cliffs
    i could certainley do a luxury tour

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I remember my first trip down boulby rope (fire hose and chain)going down piece of cake comeing up sh****g myself lol and siad never again , :scare: two weeks later back down again , it is a canny mark to fish but like most places you have to now when it,s right, :yes: ,i now prefer to walk on if the tide is right,but went down last year with garry and dav to get cut off at whitestones,worked my lungs out ok but no fish for us but it looked perfect :surprise:

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Very good pics and info Gary, been a long time since info of that quality has been posted on here.....thanks for sharing it. bOULBY IS ONE VENUE ALWAYS IN THE BACK OF MIND FOR THE DAYLIGHT MATCHES BUT I VE NEVER VENTURED THAT FAR NORTH,MAYBE THIS SEASON.

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

As Garry says the fish will run white water and its quite a myth that you should avoid such places. So long as there is an access point and a way back out then fish will swim in no depth at all. I've taken fish off scars where water is no more than 3 foot deep, usually on the early flood or over a low water neep when fish know the tide is not going to drop out any further.

12. Supersonic

Cheers for clearing that up lads, it's something I really want to have a good crack at this winter. The photos provided by Gary and the info provided is extremely useful and appreciated :)

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah plenty of info there to get ure juices flowing ....

14. Supersonic

It certainly has done the trick, although I'm not confident of catching in those sort of spots but I suppose you gotta just get there and learn yourself. Feels like I'm back at square 1 and starting all over again in terms of confidence and know how if you get me.

Got a more familiar beach sesh planned on saturday... not got high hopes but have certainly got Cod fever now (insert big grin smiley here)

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Just look at the results over the years and you will find that boulby holds its own with some of the deeper marks, when you know when to fish it you will get fish ,allso confidence plays a big part ,if you go to a new mark and dont feel comfortable with it your mind will not be on the task in hand, think posative ,fish posative,and fish to the end ,

16. Supersonic

Good advice that mate. A friend of mine is the most confident fisherman I've ever met, and it really pays off for him, he gave me the same advice. It's infectious when you're not confident but you're with someone who is.

17. bow1

bow1 Rockling

many thanks lads,same as supersonic trying to get my haed round rock marks.only diversed from beaches last winter and didnt get one cod from rocks,hoping to change that this year as i certainly pefer the "feel" of fishing from rock marks.fingers crossed though isuppose itll take time to learn and gain confidence in these marks

18. Supersonic

Yep Bow you're right it's all about time and effort.

Don't think I'm gonna leave the familiarity and comfort of the beaches too much, I know I'll catch there but I do want to diversify my tactics and available options so will definately have a few cracks at the rock game. I'm going to choose a mark and mainly fish there to get to grips with it, that way I can build up a picture of how and when it fishes best. Once I've cracked one spot I'll add another to my armoury I think, don't want to get ahead of myself tho!

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

just go for it supersonic , youll be alright ----- the thing is dont go fishing boulby gulley on a big sea , a steady lob on is all you need
    a tide of around 1 MTR , dont go using leaders and light line , a mimimum of 35lb mono main line, weak link to your sinker, a good crab / mussel / worm cocktail , no need to try and blast your sinker over the horizon the fish are very often only 60 to 80 yards out and ive seen
    fish taken there within 20 yards , as you usually have a window of around 2 hrs you dont want to be sat there either changing reels
    or tying leaders on , which arent needed , fish it from the staithes side of the gulley :yes: :yes: :yes:

20. bucko

bucko New Member

The rope looks a bit much for me- (I get vertigo on a stepladder!) but I'm going to have a walk on there (from Cowbar) at some point soon. Whats the ideal size tide for walking on and off there?