1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Outing And A New Recruit For The Whitby Plaice Club

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 6, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its funny how times change, up until recently all our fishing trips were organised on the phone or by text, but now it seems the preferred method of communication has become facebook.

The lads had been planning a trip since last week and the weather had always looked favorable for this evening. Dan Made contact earlier today and a trip out was hastily arranged for just after 5 this evening.

Our main plan of attack for early season is Flatfish and Dan has been researching like mad all winter. I think he has watched every you tube fishing video ever made and hes read every old issue of boat angler he could find. Full marks to Dan a top angler who puts in the bit of extra effort. He certainly makes my fishing life a lot easier :whistle:

By the time I got back from my sons football match at Bridlington it was 6pm and the lads had already gone out. Dan, Damo and Farron were accompanied by Supersonic Kev and new recruit to the Whitby Bass Club/pollack/turbut/we catch anything club, Steven Porett.

As I drove down Sandsend Rd I spotted the lads about a mile out to sea. I got parked up and after a few words with Mike the fossill who was just passing by, I headed out and joined the lads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By and large the first sessions of the year are all about getting a feel for things again and getting you motivated for the season to come.

Dan was keen to test his new Plaice rigs and all the lads were just keen to get going. The dabs were coming thick and fast. Although small it was a start.

[​IMG]

And then Dan hooked into something better and he soon landed a cracking Plaice looking to be around 2-3lb. Mission achieved for Dan and the rigs clearly work a treat..

[​IMG]

Then just as I was getting ready to take his picture, disaster struck. I still dont know what happened but I somehow lost my balance and flipped the yak in double quick time.

Initially I was in a state of panic, then after a few seconds I came to my senses and managed to flip the yak upright and climb back on, much to the amusement of the rest of the lads.

So that was a great start to the season. 1 lost rod and reel and a shafted camera. Oh well I guess it cant get much worse, hopefully the first and last time this season. But at least I put self rescue into practice and all went according to plan. I was still bone dry thanks to the dry suite kindly donated by Ken and Fiona.

After that we had a few more drifts before paddling in and retiring to Rigsbys for a pint and a packet of Uncle Alberts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats the first outing over, I got a bit wet and Dan got his first Plaice, and what a cracker it was.

Thankfully my Memory card survived the water, so heres the rest of the pics for you to enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. baza

baza New Member

Quality report and a superb early season plaice. Shame about the camera and lost rod

3. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Brilliant, well done lads

4. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great read Glenn! Well done all, love the markings on that plaice :)

Will

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Glad you stayed dry mate :happy: Well at least your Baptism is now over, you can now have a great season catching fish :laugh:

Thats a cracking plaice Dan, going to have to come up and have a go for them soon :happy:

Ken

6. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done lads cracking weather as well to go with it.

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great stuff . lovely plaice Dan

8. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

it was a great night to be out. got to thank kev for sorting out some worms otherwise we'd have been buggered.

i think it will be a while before i beat that for a plaice.

9. baza

baza New Member

What rig is that your using dan? And do you drift with it?

10. West Cliff Miff

West Cliff Miff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for posting the pics Glenn.

Dan mentioned that you were going and I'm as jealous as hell when I look at those fantastic conditions.

I'm just about to take the plunge on yakking - I'm researching gear this week.

Nice plaice, too, for the human Pollock.

11. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

No problem mate, they certainly did the trick. That Plaice was a beaut. Shame we didn't get any more, but what a cracking night to be out. Looking forward to next one.

12. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/hall-of-fame-article

13. dmc

dmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking fish Dan, :yes:was it at anchor or on the drift,and it just shows the diversity of the fihing in and around the Whitby area.
    Well done

14. Baramundi Bob

These were on the drift but you can anchor too.

Bit more info here for you :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=232

Also Im going to write a page describing methods etc when I get the time, so watch out for the link.

15. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    That looks a cracking day to be out on the kayaks....great photos. Hard lines on the lost gear and buggered camera but you're ok and that's the most important thing.
    Smashing plaice Dan......they're a proper good looking fish aren't they.

Regards Ian

16. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Cracking fish Dan, can't beat trying something a bit different :educated:

Might have to try down that way soon :whistle: :whistle:

17. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done lads... A fantastic trip and a good read..

18. andym

andym Rockling

Great stuff lads that is a cracking Plaice

19. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

does anyone know how much it costs to park in the car park all day,
    noticed that the lads parked on the slip not the car park ,is it free to park there or is it still classed as the car park ,looks a nice place for launching with easy access to the water .
    thanks for any info lads.

frank.

20. Baramundi Bob

Car park is free on an evening not sure how much for the day though.