1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First night with fixed spool

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by E.F.C. FOREVER, Nov 16, 2014.

1. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi all I'm off out for a few hours tomorrow night and I'm taking My new penn battle out to try and get into this fixed spool with braid carry on. the lads who I will be fishing with fixed spool so no doubt they will keep me right I'm just wondering if anyone else has any info/personal experiences that could help.
    Cheers Perry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

make sure you have a glove or finger stall or something to protect your finger when casting. I forgot mine last time and regretted it :eek: :) k,nell... it didn't half sting :'(

3. robq

robq Rockling

Just remember to take care of your line so to reduce chances of wind knots :)

If you snap off your lead or rig always wind the line back under tension between your fingers ;)

Most wind knots are caused by loose loops being dragged off the spool prematurely :p

Also don't overfill your spool, 3mm below the lip should be fine, and when you fill the reel clamp the line spool in a vice and try and wind it on under a good bit of tension, like say as much as retrieving a fish :)

try and fish without too much tension on the line if possible ( difficult in a bit of sea ) and when you get a bite try and give it a bit of slack and let the bite develop, for a 1st timer with braid it can be a shock how vicious some of the bites can be even from mops !!

4. E.F.C. FOREVER

Cheers lads appreciated and took onboard lines already on just cheap chinky stuff so if it buggers up ain't much to change

5. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Keep hold of your rod as well!!!

6. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

even a pouting looks like a big cod bite on mono just wait untill you hook that big one on braid you nearly get your arms pulled out of the sockets when they shake their head :)

7. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

How did you get on with the F.S Perry? Any good??

Carl

8. E.F.C. FOREVER

I'm going tonight Carl lovely sea running ;-) there was last night but unfortunately I was to shattered to go ..... That bloody anchor ;-)

9. E.F.C. FOREVER

Just been out on harbour side having a chuck well I must be able to chuck 30/40 yards further already I just hope I can get to grips with the hooking of fish but well impressed up to now

10. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Get a glove. When you cast makes fingers sore

11. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Let me know how you get on with it mate. When you back to work?

12. Mladds

Mladds Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Even a rockling will feel like a codling ;-)

13. E.F.C. FOREVER

Or a 2lb codling will feel 8 ....... Dried off yet ?? ;-) had a good night enjoyed my first proper experience with fixed spool ;-)

14. Mladds

Aye lol big hole that was, vas gear did its job well. Nice and dry lol I'll know next time to walk around rocks ;-)

15. Mladds

Plus I got stuck in the bus in mud lol took me ages to get out, thought I was going to have to wait for you and bri for a push lol

16. E.F.C. FOREVER

Were u looking over top with your headlight ??? Shudder come down would of helped no problem

17. Mladds

Yep collecting grass, bush etc to chuck under wheels lol. Didn't want to disturb your fishing and conversation with bri lol thanks anyway