1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first fishing trip in the yak

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by speno, Mar 21, 2009.

1. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Went out today for the first fishing trip in the yak got down to runswick bay kitted up and out we went sun shinning.Went out to the right once out of the bay there was a bit of a swell but not to bad did some jigging and drifted kettleness way.No joy there so we wanted to try our anchor out to see if our system worked and do some bait fishing.While i was messing about with the anchor sorting it out in the swell i started to feel a bit green round the gills :vomit: thought i was about to see last nights parmo go for ground bait.Got it sorted but still felt a bit rough so didn't last long on the anchor but at least it worked.What a time to find out i get sea sick :sick: .Stuck to the jigging for a couple of hours after that but not a lot about my mate had a small coalie but that was all.Nice sunny day to be out and met some other yakers so not a bad day all in all.Just need to sort my sea sickness out :happy: Will try and put some picks on later.

2. speno

3. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done mate. at least you got to grips with it

tightlines

4. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done mate, nice report :yes:

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

First time I went out I got sea sick too, I thought I had chosen the wrong hobby, however next time I took some "joy rides" tablets from boots and was fine. Now I dont need tablets at all. The key is to keep focusing on something like the cliffs or shoreline.

6. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

it`s Runswick bay. Every time I go I feel a bit queezy :vomit: never like that anywhere else, but like foxy says keep an eye on the top of that hill, the feelin wears off.

7. speno

Cheers lads i was gutted really wanted to bait fish from the anchor for a few hours but will get some tablets next time and see how it goes. :happy: i was fine when i was jigging it was everytime i was looking down sorting traces and stuff could have just been a dodgy parmo tho :laugh:

8. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

No mate, it`s Runswick, something about the place. Remember one day last year it was a bit choppy, come in for a few mins to recover and the smell of the seaweed washed up got me gipping :laugh: that was straight under the cafe and couldn`t even eat mi prawn sandwich, it`s defo Runswick.

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done on getting out there speno. I remember my first trip out. To be honest it was less than pleasant and I wasn't sure if Id made the right choice for a new hobby. I felt sick for the first dozen or so times out. Then Marion (Spawneys wife) gave me a bag of dry ginger which helped.

The sea sickness gradually wore off after that and I felt a lot better. By the end of the summer I never felt ill at all and I never needed the ginger either. One thing I have found that makes me feel ill is the dry cag when its tight around the neck. Im on the look out for an adjustable one now.

Anyway best of luck with the fishing mate, It gets a lot better as the spring and summer progresses, and I hope you get over the sickness on your next outing.

Best fishes - Glenn

10. PNGWIN

PNGWIN New Member

Good report speno, Not been out on a yak Manny times, also never felt sick, yet :cheesy:, but put me on a boat and well lets say not good :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: PNG

11. GJW

GJW Rockling

Thanks for the report and pic's Keith, shame about the feeling sick bit though, like the lads said you will probably overcome it after a few more trips out.. Is that 1-0 to Anth with his first kayak coalie.. :cheesy:

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

it was a great day out altho no fish,

it was good to meet you and your mate

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Good to see you both out for some yakkin lads, everything (including sickness) gets better the more times you get out but sickness tablets do work a treat.

14. jonwhitton

jonwhitton Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi Speno, Surprised you did not catch more last Sat. I was fishing commercially on Never can tell-a inshore between Kettleness and Staithes. We finished the day with more than 20 stone of cod plus 5 stone of mixed species including the halibut which was caught only half a mile from Port Mulgrave in only 8 fathoms. well within yakking range of Runswick. The cod bottomed the 25lb. boat scales. Unfortunately it had been attacked by a seal just before we boated it and although it was still alive the seal had ripped the belly so we could not sell it. We ate it! the big cod was caught just 1 mile from Runswick village. The pollack and the bass were caught a couple of weeks earlier just close in off Kettleness in about 6 fathoms.
    For anyone interested in a species hunt we had a huge variety, cod, whiting, pout, coalies, pollack, halibut, turbot, brill, plaice, dab, flounder, dover sole, lemon sole, thornback, spotted ray, cuckoo ray, l.s.dogs, ballan wrasse, tadpole fish. 19 different species just on Sat. morning and all within easy yakking range.
    Who needs to steam 50miles to an offshore wreck when there is quantity, quality and variety on our doorstep!

15. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats a queer looking fish .....

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its a lump sucker Dav. Jons just been telling me he saw the yakers out on this day and he had done really well with his nets with a halibut and a cod to 25 pounds right where speno was.

Jon is also the person to ask about that 19 pound bass caught 2 years back.

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great variety of fish there john , appreciate you sharing the pics with us , Looking at them fish is just making me drool . .....Just goes to show what fish life we actually have around here ,,,,What size was thebass john 8lb plusser ? Thanks..

19. jonwhitton

jonwhitton Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

[​IMG]//i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/jonwhitton/Bass3.jpg[/IMG]
    Seemed to lose these, not quite got used to posting pics.
    Forgot to mention the lumpsuckers. We have seen an unusual amount this year. They come in a huge variety of colours from bright red through liliac and green to a grey and white. Some are ernormous weighing up top 5lb. or more! We release them and a large proportion swim off unharmed but they are rather pressure sensitive and some have problems with excess buoyancy.

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Do any local boats go on speciecs hunts with rods n line , I reckon it would be a big thing ....