1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First double figure cod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mattylamb, Dec 9, 2014.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

What can I say.. I've been after one for a while and I finally got it tonight. It weighed bang on 12 lb and took full squid stuffed with cart.

Came in fairly easy till it got near the edge then went ballistic and I was running down the scar trying to catch up with it.

Caught it a couple of hours into the ebb. Managed one more mop and lost a couple more. The billets were also out in force

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Awesome stuff foxy, thats a bonny looking sprag 8)

Still chasing a double myself after all these years so can imagine how you're feeling ;)

3. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done on your first double figure cod there's no better feeling and you can't fish the same for much longer because your so excited ???? I'm going out now so you catching that just makes me want to be fishing now. Well done again all the hard work has repaid you tonight ????????

4. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Couldn't be more happy for you Matty well done.

5. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Bloody belter, well done mate

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Awesome fella, well pleased for ya...............

7. robq

robq Rockling

well done matty 8)

Proper baits for proper fish :)

That is a very well proportioned fish

8. simon22

simon22 Rockling

How do silver fox. do you just put the cart in the cavaty or do you need to split the squid and then wrap it back up

9. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Well done that man..... Bonny looking fish that ;)

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well done Matty.....proper fish from the shore that one. Good angling. 8) 8) 8)

11. Steve

Steve Rockling

nice one.. well done

12. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Smashed it bud!well done

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Hi Simon. This was my first time doing it. I've never been a big fan of squid but I know that it does tend to sort the better fish out so I made a conscious effort to give it a good go last night.

The way I did it was I pulled the head and guts out of 1 squid, nipped my hook into the point. I then cut a piece of cart to size and stuffed it inside.
    I bound this to the hook then took another squid and cut it right open and wrapped it over the first bait but further up the hook to make a kind of join.
    I could see that the cart juice was leaking out under pressure of the elastic so I didn't bother puncturing it.

Hope that helps

14. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking fish.
    Congratulations.
    Bet you're bouncing still?!

15. simon22

simon22 Rockling

It does mate thanks. Will try that from the shore but also while uptiding. Should think a bait like that would last a while if not being nibbled at or crabbed

16. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

its a belter well done ;D

17. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

well done matty, cracking fish mate

18. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done that man belter of a fish

19. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done mate bet ya made up ;-)