1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First cod caught in 2014 on shads on sea - otter 2

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod, Feb 10, 2014.

1. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Being a lovelly day cod off the wrecks today on shads and squid full report later .

First cod 2014 on a green shad .

Attached Files:

2. twinsdad

twinsdad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice sight that Paul!

Is it worth me bringing my wrecking gear at the weekend (weather dependant) ?

Simon

3. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Hi simon yes mate if the weather lets us go its very unsettled but as allways fingers mate.

paul.

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Well yesterday what a contrast to today willd today but yesterday was very different light winds small tide allways worth a look on the wrecks at this time of year if there is a chance of some clear water.

The winds over the last few weeks have been strong but mainly from the south which in general doesnt stir the water up really bad once you get a few miles off so i said to the lads we would drop the ankhor for a while to see if the uptiding was still fishing well which over the last 4 or 5 months has been superb to say the least .

Yesterday tide was Only a 4.5 mtr not the best for uptiding but we got the anchor down the lads got casted out squid and frozen blacks were the bait it wasnt long before a codling came aboard but as the morning progressed in the back of my mind i wanted to have a shoot off and try a few wrecks.

The water had begun to clear a little even tight inshore so i new the water out on the 5 mile would be reasonable clear so just before luch time i said to the lads come on lets go and have a look we might get a nice surprize.

The wind first thing in the morning was drafty but it was forcast to drop off as the day went on and by mid morning it was dying away.

I had one wreck in mind which i fancied and i put a shad on with a squid head just to give it a little bit of scent i will often do this if the water isnt fully clear in winter works a treat but i will then try a shad without being baited to see if its clear enough you soon know the rod tip soon starts to pull over .

First drift with a baited shad and bang the rods over and lads at the back of the boat put a single hook down with a full squid i turn round and they are into fish everybody has smile like a chesire cat

Here we go boys great to see some nice codlings started to come aboard the lads were loving it we had had a nice few drifts then up poppped sammy the seal with a cod in his jaws straight away it had spooked the fish, they laid low no more takes by then it was getting towards 3 pm to late to shoot further off the sea was near on like glass

If i had known it was going to be as nice i would have took off first thing in the morning starting out on 9 mile i know for sure as what we got on 5 mile we could have had a big days fishing still the first cod on shads this year and i know a hell of a lot more to come.

This fish was on a green shad

[​IMG]

Dropped a orange one down and straight away they were on it .

[​IMG]

One of the lads with a few of his fish he took off the wreck with squid.

[​IMG]

The wrecking should be very good now as long as we dont get a howling northerly but lets not forget the uptiding has still got a lot more excellent fishing to throw at us before the winter ends.

Paul.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

That's excellent Paul. Were any of the other boats out today ?? and how did they do ?

6. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice to see some taken on the shads Paul brilliant stuff . Nice report , fingers crossed for Saturday .

John

7. mick48

mick48 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done nice to see you been shading Paul was a different story last year with algae hope we don't get many northerly's, nice report

8. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

No boats out today glen as far as i know i was the only boat out yesterday need to settled weather now the signs look very good.

paul.

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Hope the weather plays ball john looks up and down at the moment mate.

paul.

10. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No probs mate .

11. connorhope

connorhope Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for a great day at sea Paul, Had the weather and the fish, happy days. Wish we had taken a few shad's, but thought it may be a bit cloudy down there, so used the bait. Found that baited Muppet's picked up more fish than just bait on it's own. Thanks again for finding the fish and putting us on them. thanks to Dave as well for sorting out all the times i got stuck on the bottom and filleting my fish.

Great day and see you in a couple of weeks.

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Gald you enjoyed your day the weather was lovelly and some good fish as well what more can you ask fingers crossed for your next trip .

Cheers apul.