1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Cliff fishing trip this season and a few fish. (Sandsend)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by THE DOLPHIN, Oct 4, 2013.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Sea Fishing From Sandsend Cliffs

Had my first outing on Wednesday night but didn't get out as early as I wanted to due to family commitments at home kid’s lol.

My plan was to fish the bottom of goat track but when I arrived at Sandsend car park and had a look to see how far the tide was out it didn't appear to be that far out on the beach so I opted to give Bernie’s ledge ago. I set off for a steady walk to Bernie’s ledge thinking the tide would be well into the flood by now however as I past by Rabbit holes I noticed the tide was further out than I had thought. On arrival at Bernie's it was quite clear that there was not enough water to fish that mark and having left my waders in the car I was not keen on going down on to the rocks at the bottom of Goat track.

After a bit umming and arring :-\ I though sod it I will have a go as I had good boots on with good tread and are waterproof so off I headed down the goat track and down the steps at the bottom. There were some lads fishing from one of the rock marks possibly Whitby club lads I am not sure. I was heading towards them to ask how the fishing had been but this was near on impossible as the amount of seaweed over the rocks was far to slippy so I had to go back as I was going to end up having an accident :(

After climbing back up the steps and the goat track I was boiling so when I got to Bernie first thing was to strip off a few layers of clothing and cool down I must have lost a few pounds in weight (wishful thinking). Still not enough water to fish I sat and made a few rigs whilst waiting for the tide to come up. After a bit of a wait and a few rigs made there was enough water to start fishing :) first cast resulted in a good bite and that’s all it was just one bite it never came back ::). After several cast and no more bites at all I decided to have a walk to Rabbit holes a bit miffed off to say the least :mad: what with all the reports of all mops being caught and at almost every mark along the coast.

The conditions at Rabbit holes looked perfect :) with a good north east swell running in a bit breezy but ok for casting. I had decided that I was only going to have one cast as the time was get on it was about 1.30 and if there were no bites I would be going home. I had my first cast in and within minutes of putting the rod on the rod rest I was getting a bight so I picked the rod up and straight away could feel it was on 8). So I wound it in i could tell it was only a small codling but I was off the mark for this year’s fifty cod challenge :)

All thoughts of going home had now gone out of my head and I was staying to try and catch a few more. I noticed that the bigger the baits were I was only getting the one bite then nothing else but smaller baits caught the fish and resulted in the fish being more interested in the bait. I kept fishing until about 5.30 as I had run out of bait. I only ended up with 3 fish but that will do for me I was well chuffed 8).

I got back to the car at 6 which was ideal for getting home just in time to take the dogs out then get the kids up and ready to take to school was goosed all day yesterday hence the late report.

The fish weighed 1lb 9oz / 1lb 14oz and the best 2lb 5oz no monsters but worth the effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading
    chris

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Re: First shore fishing trip this season and a few fish.

Excellent Chris-well done. Just sorting my gear out now to start the season off too.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great report Chris and nice to see you out fishing again. Was expecting a picture full of bass :). Im loving these drive shots, everyone wants to be mww.

4. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

At least you got a few. I am get the boat out on Monday for a bit of uptiding last to fish for a few month. Before the wife's back op on Thursday. Hopefully will nail some.

I'll see you on Wednesday.

Steve

5. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done great report,went down cloughton had a chuck in various places nothing doing but the scenerys great down there ;D

6. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Yes Rabbit holes has produced a few Bass for me over the years not what I had been targeting but still a nice suprise in only a couple of foot of water if that using lugworm tipped off with one mussel. Not really had much to report this year as my boat fishing had to be the worst year ever best day I had was on Rich Copes boat Mistress on the forum boat trip. Good plug for charter boat Mistress there that's got to be worth a days uptiding this winter as I think I am bringing my boat back to the Tees for some minor repairs.

Good luck for Monday Steve I take it the car went ok the other day sorry I had to shoot of to the docs with our John they put him on 3 weeks antibiotics again. See you Wednesday.

7. Big Cast

Big Cast Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done chris mate least u got 3 out ....let's hope they are playing ball on sunday lol.....great report as always mate

Best Regard's Darren

8. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Well done on the fish. It was me fishing down from goat track, seen you come down we were wondering what was happening thought you had dropped something.
    I had taken two lads down for first time and showing them the different marks on the cliffs. We got into the weed down there bumped two fish and lost a bit of gear so chucked the towel in.

9. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

really interesting read, you didn't give up and got a reward, brilliant.