1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Attempts With The New Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ill be back out at the next opportunity to try again with a lower iso.

Dave, could the sloping shots be related to the lens ? I note that at its widest, things dont seem straight ?

The tripod has a level on it, but it was getting dark and I struggle to see.

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Glenn if the lens is wideangle you can get some barrel distortion, which is where the horizon would slightly slope off at both sides. Like Dave says though, you're are a straight line slope to the left, which is a camera holding issue. It's just a matter of getting used to the viewfinder, which'll take a bit of practice. I tend to use the viewfinder focussing zones to level up my shots which works pretty well.

You'll have much less noise with the lower ISO, but you'll need to use longer shutter speeds. If you set your ISO at 100, you can still use aperture priority to select f9 and the camera will work out the appropriate shutter speed.

The first shot you did on the second batch would make a really really good HDR I reckon, both day and night could end up looking great with a bit of light painting or rear flash if you went for the night option. I'd really like to know where that is.

3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

The last shot of the swinng bridge at night Glen,
    did you use a star filter to get the symetrical star spread on the lamp posts :confused: lovely photo,s Glen :yes:

4. Baramundi Bob

Hi Kev,

When your in Whitby next give me a shout. You can show me the hdr tutorial you were talking about and Ill show you a few little places that not all the tourists get to see. I have some real good ideas for shots, but need to work out how to get the best from the camera.

Funny you should mention hdr for that shot, as I was going to use it for my first ever attempt. A nice contrast of exposures and good texture in the stone work.

5. Baramundi Bob

Hi Harry,

No it just came out like that.

6. Supersonic

My thoughts exactly mate :wink:

Sounds like a very good idea, are you normally busy on weekends Glenn?

7. Baramundi Bob

Hi Kev,

I have my kids for the full weekend this weekend and then every second weekend after that. On the weekends in between they dont come untill 5pm on a Saturday.

Cheers - Glenn

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Think i may have worked it out Glen,
    did you by anychance use a tripod ,and an appeture of about f/22 to f/36

and say 1 second exposier, :suspious:

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

very good glenn, i like the worms eye view of the lighthouse, ive tried to get the exact same shot at night.

are you in tonight? ill pop that book round that i was ment to do weeks ago.

give me a text or pm

10. CBass

CBass New Member

Looking good Glenn, get that ISO down and the noise will disappear.

The wonky horizons don't look like barrel distortion to me, maybe you have one leg shorter than the other? :tease:

How are you processing them, just out of interest? That may offer a way to correct the horizon and also if its barrel distortion and maybe get rid of some of the noise. Don't worry about the dust spots, they are a buggers that you just have to live with.

That lens gives a lovely star light flair to street lights.

11. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dave,

Im processing using photoscape at present. Still shooting in jpeg because I wanted to get used to the camera before trying anything more adveturous such as RAW processing. I have been promised a copy of cs5, but Im not sure if he will come up with the goods for me. If not ill have to buy elements, but I dont want to do that as Ive spent over a garnd on camera equipment in the past couple of month and Im still looking for filters.

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Just looked again at the bridge shots in the dark,
    those stars are awesome, 12 point i make them ,

a filter to do that would cost a fortune , what make fillter is it Glen, :happy:

13. Baramundi Bob

I dont have any filters yet Harry. The lens is a sigma 10-20 3.5f

14. Supersonic

Polarising and ND should be top of your filter list Glenn, maybe a star filter. Wouldn't waste your money on colour or UV filters though. There's a big difference between CS5 and Elements. I was actually shocked at how little Elements brings to the table when Harry showed me his copy. I mean it's fine for basics, but I don't think I'd cope with it. If you can get a copy of CS5 from someone defo go for it, I'm sure someone can sort you out :wink: