1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Attempts With The New Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Only my first go, but constructive criticism welcome.

Also can anyone tell me what the little shaddow is that the arrow points to

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Looking good Glenn, the marks look like dust on the sensor , I had mine cleaned when I kept getting similar marks because I daren't attempt to clean it myself. Now I m very careful when changing lens ( I always try to change out of any wind and keep the camera facing lens down.......so far so good no more in.

I m hopin g to get a wide angle lens soon but after the flashshots by cbass which were awesome a flash is also on the cards.

From a composition point of view , do you not find the central position of the lamposts in the steps and bridge draw the eye into the lamp, maybe offsetting the lamp so that the steps draw the eye down into the harbour ? (the 2nd steps shot has the post slightly over to the side and the eye naturally follows the steps).

Great shots though matey looks like you'll get to grips with the slr and lens quickly.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Looking good Glenn, colours have come out nice. The 2nd pic is very good.

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

very nice Glenn. I would agree with JW it looks like a dust bunnie. you can clone em out in photoshop. got to clean mine as ines got a few now. gonna do it myself

5. Baramundi Bob

Cant believe its got dust in it. Only used the camera about 3 times. Maybe I could get someone down my camera club to clean mine ??

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

dont worry about it too much Glenn it will always happen. Look on youtube there's a few tutorials on cleaning it. I'm gonna do mine and will let you know how I get on.

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

just one note Glenn - I notice you have used ISO 1600. is there a reason for that? I would have though you'd have been able to use a lower ISO as you had a tripod so longer exposures wouldn't have been an issue? this would mean less noise. I mean they aren't all that noisy but a couple of the skies look a bit grainy

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The only reason I m a bit wary of doing mine is on my old film slr canon eos600) I got dust on the focusing screen and when cleaning it trashed the shutter screen......I understand the sensor kits are easy to use and so probably little chance of me trashing the sensor but for me it was once bitten twice shy....thats all........ :wink:

Glenn dust is hard to keep out when swapping lens...no I d say impossible to keep out so don t be worried by it.

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Matty, how do you know the iso from the posted photo's please ?

10. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Defo sensor dust Glenn. Just change lenses in a dust free area and keep the camera body facing down as you do it. Easy enough to remove in photoshop using healing brush tool though. Give it a blow out with a rocket blower it should be fine, or you might need to read up on how to give it a more thorough clean if that doesn't fix it; try here

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

I really like photo 4

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

using a exif viewer plugin Dave. you can get them for firefox and chrome. not sure if you can get them for IE. I'm using EXIF viewer for chrome - you install then right click on an image and choose "show exif data"

12. Supersonic

sh-t didn't see everyone else's responses :laugh:

13. Supersonic

Cheers for that idea Matty, managed to get a Mac app to do the same thing :cheesy:

14. Baramundi Bob

Thanks for your help guys.

Matty, I had been unhappy with the noise. Is this because of the iso setting then ?? To get used to the lens I had used aperture priority and did most of the shots around f8 - f11 as suggested by Cbass. I assume iso was automatic? or is it something I can change in aperture priority.

Also thanks for showing me how to focus the other day matty, it has come in pretty useful, although Im now convinced I need glasses.

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

there will be an ISO button on the Camera Glenn - you might have it set to Auto and due to the darkness the camera may have set it to 1600. higher ISO = higher noise.

If you are using a tripod you can afford to set it lower. I usually set it to 100 and adjust from there if necessary. The shutter speed will increase at lower ISO's so it can get enough light in to get the correct exposure. best just to experiment - start low and move up if needed.

16. Baramundi Bob

Heres a couple more. Again, your thoughts are welcomed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

they are very good Glenn. pretty sure you have auto ISO set as these have different ISO values.

18. Baramundi Bob

Must be on auto matty as I never changed it. So if I set lower iso the skies will have less noise ?

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yes mate you will get less noise with lower ISO.

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I really like the last batch Glenn. The two lighthouses in particular.

Feedback wise........how do you hold your camera mate ? If you look carefully the shots all very slightly dip to the lefthand side, not by much but it is consistant in them all so it has to be how you are holding the camera ....or if you used a tripod has it got a spirit level ? The levels are really useful and you can get small cheap stick on bubble levels which do help with the horizon line and mean less straightening in processing.

Not picking on em mate as really think you are already producing some cracking shots. :cool: