1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally got a crack at the pollock

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Sep 1, 2015.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Finally a good for cast on a day off for a change.

Big tides and clear seas only means one thing and that's pollock. I've been waiting g all year for conditions to come right for a go on one of our favourite marks.

Launched at 3.30 under the new Bridge and used the tide to make the 5 or so mile paddle to hawsker a little easier.

I started trolling as soon as I left the pier ends but didn't find any fish for around 2 miles. I was starting to worry but then a steady stream of jumbo mackerel started to hit the lures.

As soon as I neared the reef where the big pollock usually hit I landed 3 nice coalies all around the 3lb mark.

Things went quiet for 10 mins or so then a steady stream of pollock to 7lb on a yo zuri crystal minnow.

After I'd worked out where the fish were holding I stopped trolling and broke out the fly rod and had another 5 in quick succession, the biggest around 4lb.

By now the tide had changed and dusk was setting in so all the way back to whitby.

Attached Files:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice report Dan, nice to see you back on the forum, youve been away too long. Pleased you found a few of our Favourite local fish. Lets hope thats not the last of them for the year.

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice one Dan, really need to get myself out on the yak, only been twice this summer and one of them was the runny match

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

That's the last time I was out too matty. Struggling to lift my yak with my knackered shoulder so looking for something lighter

5. Baramundi Bob

Ya Faggot, get on the weights.

6. robq

robq Rockling

Well done Dan 8)

Good to see there are some about !!

Only managed a few smaller ones myself this year :(

Those fish over 5lb must take some stopping on fly tackle :eek:

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

Excellent sport there Dan.

Very nice fly rod too. Would hate to see that going overboard !

8. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Thanks rupert.

When I first brought it before summer I thought it was a beast of a rod and fat too heavy. How wrong I was as even a 3lbers doubled it up and had me hanging on for life.

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

What line do you use with that outfit when you are at sea? Looks like you have a fast sink tip on too?

Do you find you need to present the fly deep, or will they come up for it?

I'm asking these questions as its on my 'to do' list! I've got a Sage Xi3 which is 9' #10 weight.

10. limpet

limpet Blenny

nice report and some quality fish

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

I've brought 2 lines both airflo snipers in di3 and di7. I was using the di7 on the yak in around 30ft.

Counting to 25 secondd and stripping nice and steady. Had fish close to the bottom hut had 2 on the dangle

If I could afford it I'd buy a rio outbound short in a di6 but they are 60 quid each whereas 2 airflo lines are 69

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/airflo-40-sniper~12619.html

This is the line. I got it in a line heavier than the rod. They are a pig to cast but get the job done

13. Baramundi Bob

Ive told you before. That sh!t belongs on a pond.

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good report there Dan , nice pics and fish

15. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Very good ,glad you got them on the fly a great method for sea fishing but under used, can not wait to get one !

16. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice few fish, and just before the swell and colour returned.
    Love a good pollock fight.
    When it clears will get on them myself.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Lovely session there Dan , I bet them Pollack go like hell on the fly do they.