1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filey Brigg Angling Society Summer Kayak Championship 2009

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Apr 4, 2009.

1. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I am pleased to announce that Filey Brigg Angling Society will be staging an open kayak angling competition this summer during July - final details have yet to be decided but I can confirm the following:

There will be substantial cash prizes

The match will be a Heaviest Fish match

The match will take place on Sunday 5th July, if bad weather means the match is postponed it will then be scheduled to be fished two weeks later on Sunday 19th July - both dates fall on a small flooding tide that is favourable for fishing around the brigg

The match will have closed boundaries in view of safety - the fishing area will be adequate, incorporating sandy areas, the land rock at the back of brigg, and of course the brigg itself

After the match there will be a bbq that will be included in the entrance fee

All kayakers have to have adequate safety equipment and clothing

Kayaks will be accessed from the car park above the brigg down a slipway so trolleys will be needed - cars will have to pay for an all day parking ticket - the car parking area is adjacent to a popular caravan site that allows camping - Country Park Caravan Park, Filey, YO149ET, 01723 513852, anyone wishing to camp and/or bring the family I suggest this will be the best site, I also advise early booking

There will be a safety/marshal boat on the water whilst the match is on - it will be skippered by Smokey who kindly offered his services and has vast knowledge of the area and tidal currents - he is also going to do a plan of the area and species to help all anglers

Please note the above is simply to confirm the match and the date(s) so that all potential kayakers can plan their summer, there will be a dedicated page in the near future with all details on and rules etc - I will be looking for any kind of sponsorship also, so if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated - it is hoped that it will be an outstanding success and will become an annual event

Quint

2. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

That sounds great quint, with the scar fishing festival and the kayak fishing league, the east coast is the place to be for kayak fishing. There are some dedicated people out there making our lives much more pleasurable, count me in, I`ll sort a bit of something for a prize and give it to Glenn at Runswick for you.

cheers.

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

thats great news Iain, and thanks to Smokey for volunteering his services. I'll be there for deffo

4. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Hope to join you there Quint. Great thing about Filey is that the wife and kid can come and sit on the sand, and makes the excuse to take part that much easier!

5. robq

robq Rockling

sounds great Iain :yes: can't wait !!

6. spud

spud New Member

You guys are certainly leading the way with this kayak fishing lark and taking it to the next level a big well done from me :yes: I will be there on the camp site for a long weekend well done lads :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: i spend a lot of time on these yak fishing sites this one is by far the best and is a credit to the members and the owner and long may it last :yes:

7. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

you`re right there spud :yes:, there are some top blokes on the East coast willing, able and committed. This kayak fishing lark is becoming a bit of a national brotherhood and certain people are standing out by looking after our needs.

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great idea, you can count me in for sure :yes: Hope there are some Pollock round there somewhere :cheesy:

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

Theres pollack aplenty Sam,some monsters as well :wink: :happy: tight lines

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes its brilliant news and I'm really looking forward to this one. FBAS should be really proud of themselves. I've said this before but the club is a perfect example of how an angling club should be run. Never scarred of change, and encouraging of all angling disciplines. Full marks and anything I can do to help just ask.

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Yep, definately up for this one, we have been in Filey today, booked Spuds and my caravan onto the Country Park while we were there.

I think someone is keen on getting a little local knowledge prior to the event :whistle:

[​IMG]

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

sounds good cant wait

13. newdave

newdave Guest

well done Quint & Filey club, another event that will carry on the good work in exspanding our sport, do the country club have a segregated area that can acomadate rowdy p*$sheads ?. just in case :whistle:

14. spud

spud New Member

Thats no way to talk about Ken :cheesy:

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

How did you know who he meant ?

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Excuse me but I'm a reformed character, I have never been thrown off any camp site in my life - ok there was one time last year at the Scarborough Festival we got threatened with it but that wasn't my fault . . . . :cheesy:

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

Just keep an eye on the dodgy ones Ken :wink:

18. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

that`s it Ken, blame the mannies, but they were your party and you should be a responsible caravaner. Anyway it`s your fault for showing them where the pub is :laugh:

19. spud

spud New Member

Thanks for booking me on Ken :cheesy: and i promise to behave mate :laugh:

20. Nemo

Nemo Blenny

I hope I can get to this one, I can't give up the chance of tangling with the mighty weever fish again after doing the same at the Scarborough match :embarrass: :whistle: