1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filey Brigg Angling Society Kayak Angling Competition - Pre - Registration

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Ken,
    I will be there the wife is giving me the day off, she has a different EU charter to workers rights than anyone else on the planet. Gardening at this time of year is mayhem and on top of that I have 6 allotments to tend, but I am still around.

See you all soon

Cheers
    Cleeclive

2. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

You're not on your own Sam, I know nothing about the Brigg either.... Thats going to be half the fun! It's forecast heavy rain on the long range forecast at the mo though :sad:

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

This is a basic plan for the area to be fished for the kayak competition.. tight lines
    [​IMG]

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thats a brilliant map Smokey, thank you. What kind of tide can we expect on Brigg End on the day? Know it can be a bit lively..

Ken

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

It a slack tide and flooding all day Ken so it shouldn't be too bad,everyone is advised to take a little care when paddling through it though... tight lines

7. Baramundi Bob

Where has Howard been getting all those big cod ??

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Withernsea.... :whistle:

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

Could you post the map up on the FBAS site if you get any spare time Glenn.. tight lines

10. Baramundi Bob

11. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hope to be up for this one wont know till the night before though

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Here are the match rules and a few pictures to give you a view and an idea of the area, just ask if you need any more info and if I've missed any points

Match Rules

Two hooks are allowed, trebles count as one hook

A competitor may have two rods set up at any time, but can only fish with one rod at any given time

Each competitor must weigh in his or her own catch

Fishing times are – start at 9.00 weigh in by 15.30 – no kayak to be in the water until 9.00

The decision of the official timekeeper is final

Competitors qualify for one prize only round fish, one prize flatfish

Competitor may receive help of any person to gaff, or assist him or her in landing a fish, but they must not handle the rod in doing so

All kayakers must wear a suitable PFD

Float, bottom and artificial fishing allowed

The Northern boundary will be marked by a flag on the cliff and 250 metres off, the Southern boundary will be opposite the slipway promenade, and opposite the bell buoy (marked on your map) – please note due to the nature of the boundaries these are obviously approximate

The committee reserve the right to add to or amend the prizes as listed for all events

Neither the committee nor the Filey Brigg Angling Society shall be held responsible for, damage, loss or injury by any person in connection with the competition

Tips and Techniques

There will be less tide run around the back of the Brigg (near the ladders) target species here will be Cod and Pollock – bait could be used either static or on the move, baits could be worm/crab/squid/mussel, if the water is clear any suitable method should take fish, jiggers, muppets, hokeyes etc, for Pollock a deep plug or “jelly” could score

The further you get to Brigg End the stronger the tide, methods as above should be employed here

Please be aware that there will be shore anglers on the Brigg, particular at the Back around the ladders, please respect them so that they have room to cast, and be aware of airborne leads

Thornback rays are a real and good target, and are located in the sandy areas of Filey bay, tactics would be static fish/squid baits

There is a prize for heaviest flat fish ( turbot, plaice, flounder, dab, sole) these again will be located in the bay, baits will be worm, crab, shellfish etc)

This area will be where the weigh in and registration centre will be

[​IMG]

This is the "Back of Brigg" where the tide is less strong

[​IMG]

The Brigg itself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The area in front of the outer scar here is noted for Pollock

[​IMG]

The slip way entrance to the beach, and the steep bit at the bottom, it took me 5 minutes to walk up from the beach to weigh in centre, please take note of this for weigh in times

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope these help and give you an insight, the weather looks like it will be very good at the moment

13. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

May seem like a daft question, but, what do you mean by 'two hooks are allowed'? :embarrass:

14. newdave

newdave Guest

not with a kayak Ian :no: be warned I need two 5min rests on the way up towing the yak, i reckon 30mins from getting ashore to top for us old gits :sad:

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

theres definately BIG cod behind that Brigg :whistle: , can confirm that tonight :cheesy: :whistle:

16. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Let me at em' :yes:

17. quint

You can use 2 hooks at a time, for instance on your rig you may have a bait on the bottom and 1 higher up the rig, a treble counts as 1, so a treble on a jigger and a feather higher up counts as 2 hooks

18. quint

Your right not with a kayak, walked it this evening to give myself an idea - it's an important point as there is no finishing time as such, only you have to weigh in by 15.30 - it's up to all competitors to give themselves adequate time to arrive at the beach, and get up the slope, with or without their kayak

19. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well it looks like the weather has took a turn for the better on the forecast, looked a bit dicey earlier yesterday
    any ideas on the clarity over there at the moment......ken? :cheesy:

20. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ok does this mean we will need to snip one of the hokkias off the shop bought rigs (typically a 3 hook affair)......no problem, catch very few on the top one anyway