1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIFTY Cod Challenge 2013

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mad mick, Oct 1, 2013.

1. hilsey

hilsey Blenny

Re: FIFTY Cod Challenge 2013 - Starts 1st October

Has a few hours just to the south of Scarborough tonight. Managed 3 cod and a huge billet. Must have been getting on for 5lbs! Will try to post a pic.

fish tonight-3
    heaviest-3lbs
    oct total-10
    total-10

2. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fish Caught Tonight - 1
    Heaviest Fish Tonight - not worth weighing
    Running Total - 10
    October total - 10
    November Total - 0
    December total - 0

Very poor night on tynemouth pier, was expecting some good size fish. Not to be, about 20 people on and seen about 5 codling, best about 3lb. I had one just over size and one undersized (not counting undersized for the challenge), 2 flounders, a 38cm whiting and rocking, all on size 3/0 hooks and cod sized baits.

3. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

First time out in 15yrs & loved it!

Fish Caught Tonight - 1
    Running Total - 1
    October total - 1

Well, after 15 years away the time finally came to have a bash from the shore again. After gathering some gear through the summer it was time to get it wet.
    I wanted to fish the cliffs at Sandsend (after my previous forum post and help) but because of family commitments, tide times and distance to travel I had to stay local this time.
    Anyway, fished the old sewer pipe near Parton Beach, Hartlepool. Fished 2 down and 2 up. Was quite a few lads spread out along the headland too.
    Anyway, got set up with a simple pulley, plain lead and rotten bottom as very tough ground (help from another previous forum post also).
    First cast, wwhhhhssppllff - birds nest, thought here we go!

Anyway sorted that, re-baited and cast out. Had pretty much a bit a cast but they never seemed to come back, as if playing with it? Not sure if anyone has seen this or not? Probably small fish but they give a couple of really good knocks then nothing.

Ended up with 2 but one came of as I lifted it from the snood over the ledge and hook pulled - so can't count that. The one landed was a nice clean fish with a right fat belly, about 2-2.5lb. Was safely returned also.

Don't think I'm going to hit the 50 mark but thought I'd have a go for a bit if fun to see how many I get and to compare for next year.

First time out in 15 years and bloody loved every minute of it!!!

Picture/s

[​IMG]

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

5. Baramundi Bob

Lobbers is on the cod

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32020.0

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I m going for the slow start Glenn, slowly slowly catchie ....cod ;)

Was a night of bites every cast, but the big tide and either lost braid or a pot tow in front of two spots meant fish on banging away but fast up solid :(

I do wonder at how true the words of mystic lobstick were about lost braid sewing spots up.....especially the 100lb tow rope some lads are still managing to lose ?

Anyone seen any evidence of that diving the marks ?

7. Baramundi Bob

I was always a slow starter. Takes a while to feel your way. That rod needs to became an extension of your right arm, and as Ray says, you need to be able to glide across the bladderwarck without popping it. November will be the time. It will have to be cos I think Im off to skye next week and there is no cod there.

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Fish caught today. 8

Biggest. 7lb

Running total. 18

October. 18

Well it wasn't Much of a real time thread because my network was in and out and it was hard to get posts off. Unreal fishing on the drive today it's blooming hard work when they are at you like they where on the flood. The second your line pulled tight in the tide it was away with a fish. Nice to get maybe my last summer sesh in before all these norther lies start lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

9. Baramundi Bob

All up to date I think boys. A nice afternoons fishing there Paul. Keep us posted on your sessions and Ill come take photos if Im free.

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Fish caught today. 7

Biggest. 2.5lb

Running total. 22

Had a session on the clifftops this evening, resulting in 7 codling, a 3lb pollack and a dogfish. a bite a cast for the first 2 hours then it slowed down mid tide. lovely evening to be out

11. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good angling son,seems to be a lot of fish showing up that end,very qt dwn here on the holderness coast.some ytin showing thats about it really.
    Welldone :)

12. Baramundi Bob

Holderness. Isnt December the month for the fish to really move in down there ?

13. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

3 sessions for me this week, 10 fish, back to work tomorrow for a week, but with 3 weeks in work between now and the 17th of Jan (gardening leave, leaving the army), am aiming for 100 sized cod (maybe 200 if the mops stay about)., Anybody know anyone selling frozen peelers or a good dealer, (cart isn't a option as am livin north of the Tyne)? With only about 100 frozen crab in the freezer, with almost 3 month off I will run out quite quickly with 2/3 day sessions a week and 2/3 night depending on conditions. Just ordered 400 frozen lug but, badly in need of crab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

14. bearne007

bearne007 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi lead chuckers fished the staithes side tonight second cast sized mop my mate got the same an hour later ....fished simmy scar few good rattlers but no takers..did the pier before we left enjoyed a good night's fishing considering never fished their before...thats me on 2 mops up to now 48 to go come on..hope this picture works as well up the boro

15. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

There's a few red ones, Glen.
    Contact Iain, the guy I told you about who runs the equivalent of the Whitby forum? Drop me a PM if interested and I will send his email address. As I said back in summer, really lovely guy who would love to help. I bet he would come out with you, and would enjoy doing so, as he is so busy in summer.
    Definitely some there. North East, into the kelp, from memory.
    Check out @shorefishingskye.co.uk

16. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not sure where you were, but I fished Burniston Thursday night, and same for me. Lost a lot of tackle, even on 66lb.
    As I walked back up beach, I saw reason. SO much ripped up kelp stems in the water, and lying thick on the beach. Must have been first vaguely rough water.
    That explained it. You only need to have one whole stem snagging your line, as it takes it down and proper snags it. Honestly, I think a tow rope would have just rendered your car immobile in those conditions?
    Maybe from the tops you could not see?

On a brighter note, got my fresh crate in yesterday and some prime cart is nearly solid. Touch wood my current 0 will grow (though annoyed my 7 and 6lb cannot count by 48 hours)!
    :)

17. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

Jape had 1 Friday nite over high from steers , then joined Matty on the cifftops Saturday nite and had 4 mops that puts jape on 24 , a couldn't get out bloody work always gets in the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

18. Baramundi Bob

I dont believe the Braid is the problem as lads fishing next to me never encountered the same problem. Plus the hole was weed free. All the kelp at Bay drops itself at the high tide line, about 10 ft deep.

19. shammy

shammy New Member

3 codling last night
    from thornwick bay
    Biggest 1.5lb
    My total is 8
    [​IMG]

Sent from my C5303 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

20. limpet

limpet Blenny