1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cincinatti

cincinatti Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi all. I have just purchased myself The Fenix HP25R. I was just thinking that a few of you may own one of these.. how it has stood up over the test of time and how do you rate them ?
    Cheers

2. robq

robq Rockling

I have had one for 2 years now and love mine :)

I have seen no need to start shopping around for anything better to be honest

Its light, comfortable and lasts for 6 hours on an average session on a variety of beams and power, with a decent set of AAs of over 2500.

The beam is good and more than powerful enough for anywhere I go, but the best thing of the light is the wide even spread of light from the flood :) much better than the princeton tech apex which has dark patches and shadow in its flood.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. cincinatti

Thanks for reply robq..good to hear that after 2 years it's still going strong:) i hummed and ha'd over this and the led lenser/Nitecore..plumped for the fenix

4. basha

basha Blenny

just bought the exact same lamp..used it three times well impressed.
    beats taking 3 crees along and them still going flat.took spare batterys for mine and after 3 seshions first set of batts are still going strong.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fenix hl55 for me for the last year, sick of poor quality chinky crees, had 8 over the last however many years.

Tough as lamp, love it.

6. cincinatti

Thanks for replies bash and faraday. i looked at the hl55 also but decided on the hp25.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. faraday

wire free did it for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cincinatti

My puppy chewed through my spare lamp wire so thinking now the wireless version could of been better

9. basha

basha Blenny

replaced the 2600 battery that came with mine for a 3600 even better.get an extra full seshion from it.
    fine it very comfy on the cranium compared to the cree's too.used to get head ache after a bitt with the cree's for some reason.

• Like Like x 2
  10. faraday

about 14 months ago i was coming down back of brigg ladders, cold dark raining night, wearing the big chinky cree lamp which was quite big tbh, smacked the lens collet on one of the ladder runs. Broke the axis point, fortunately had a spare lamp.... next day bought the hl55, low profile and as mentioned before wire free.

• Like Like x 1
  11. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Just got one. Well impressed

12. faraday

which one simon - the hl55 ? or the hp25

13. robq

robq Rockling

just realized that mine is the HP25 not the HP25 R :D

After typing that reply last week have had issues with the AA battery compartment springs that have worn and compressed causing the batteries to be loose and not connect properly :(

I've tried pulling them out but they have gone soft

Anyway I have emailed their customer support so will see how good that is :)

Whatever the outcome its still been the best performing light I've ever owned so will probably upgrade to the newer R version and invest in some quality 18650 batteries and a decent charger and still have change from £90

14. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hp25r mate. 70quid but great.

15. cincinatti

Yeah I got the nitecore charger, cuts out at 4.2v so no chance of over charging the battery, I use the 18650 batteries..some I bought and some from laptop which were Sanyo so all good..just be careful dismantling a battery pack and replace any damaged battery wraps. The lamp is brill and all I require

16. cincinatti

Good lamp hey Simon.

17. basha

basha Blenny

if your after a cheaper charger for the above head piece batterys,try an ecigg shop.i had one for my e ciggy, charges two batterys at same time and has a cut out when fully charged £5.00.got mine from doggy{north ormsby shop in the boro).
    lamp is still working a treat by the way no issues.run it now for 3 seshions without a charge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. simon22

simon22 Rockling

With spare battery's in storage in waterproof box. They are fully charged but will the lose charge over time

19. faraday

I bought the dual nitecore charger for the 18650 batteries and very happy with it, sounds like them battery springs are not the high tensile type rob in the hp25, had a look at this model online and seems there is no charging port for it, so i assume the batteries have to be physically removed each time for charging ?

I cannot understand why so many lads opt for the hp25r rather than the hl55 or the newer hl60 - the build quality is superior imo.
    Available from china (bit of a risk maybe) ? for £36 - i may chance it as i need a reliable spare anyway.

New Fenix HL55 Cree XM-L2 T6 LED 900 Lumens LED Flashlight Headlight Headlamp | eBay

20. simon22

simon22 Rockling

The Hp25r have charge point on lamp

• Like Like x 1