1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod Fishing Fenix HP25 Headlamp

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by faraday, Mar 13, 2016.

1. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sorry to drag this old chestnut out again...
    looked through previous posts for advice as i am going to invest into a decent headlamp.

over last 8 years i have had half a dozen china type crees using the 18650 batteries, all have had either bad wiring, bad charge points, crap elastic, too bulky / heavy, too bright etc.

coming down ladders on back of brigg early hours today managed to smack it on the ladder run. Still working but gone a bit sloppy on it's tilt axis now...

last post i saw was from biker jake commeting positvely on the fenix hp 25 - been on the fenix www site and good reviews there too.
    also noting this lamp uses aa nimh which are i suspect a bit easier to find regarding quality as the 18650 (in the past) were a bit hit n miss regarding life cycle.

If i do buy the fenix at 60 quid i will probably buy direct from fenix with regards to warranty i can send it back to them ?
    Fenix HP25 Headlamp | Fenixtorch.co.uk

oh yeah, 4 for 11lb last night off the brigg, chucked the smallest back 20160313_023007.jpg

2. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I don't know much about the fenix trev but what I would do is invest in some eneloop batteries they are about as good as it gets in rechargeable nimh

3. faraday

Oh found the same hp25 lamp on fleabay for 40 quid via china - is that possible to be the same or possibly a copy ? fake?
    fenix have contact details on their www - i suppose i could ask them or maybe fenix are just an importer type supplier of these products ?

4. faraday

cheers ian, i will look into them.

5. zorro

zorro Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Faraday. I have the same headlight. I've had it for a couple of years and its not let me down yet. Batteries are easy to replace, even with cold hands. For the price I'd definitely recommend it. If it fails on you though, don't blame me!!

6. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Eyup,I've got the fenix 55 ,no wires,super light and bright at 900 lumin with 5 setting......mint...all me mates hav em now

7. faraday

cheers for the info zorro....

aye, had a look at the 55 jason, tempted with that one but steering toward the 25 due to it using aa cells rather than the bigger 18650, and i dont have a charger for those batts....

does it come with a charger or you just remove battery and charge in an external charger ? cant see on their website.

also no wires hmmmm

8. faraday

had a good look at this jason, and decided to purchase one.

tried to buy local but was subjected to a load of drivel and a cesspit of nonsense - as he doesnt stock the brand !

52 quid from a uk seller fleabay, with backup service.

9. spring

spring Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

have a look at clulite hl13 battery pack at the back of head set £33 on ebay used all winter more than 12 hours on full beam very bright bit like tiga but lot cheeper

10. faraday

Thanks for the reply spring.
    opted for aFenix HL55 after recommendations and viewing reviews etc.

i think the cable free swayed my decision as well as being waterproof.

hl55.jpg

11. faraday

received today from fenix uk, had a poke around the dark farm tonight with it and happy enough, not overbright like the cheap chinese cree lamps.
    Thanks to all for their input.
    Trev

12. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Hi am I right in saying they have a wide flood beam? but quite a tight spot,,does it take 18650 batts if so treat yourself to some panasonics 3400 mah cheers

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  13. faraday

yes ian, its wide but linear if you get my drift. uses 1 18650 battery which can only be charged externally - i have ordered a nite-core charger and is on route from ting tong land.
    feels good on the head, not like a street lamp.

i have 6 batteries, 2 are past it but other 4 are ok ( for now )
    may well get a couple of pana batteries, you have any ? - i think you were selling some recently ?

am up to our lasses mams on boulby drive over bank hol next week.

14. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah sorry for late reply, I have loads of battery's and chargers from buying those cheap Chinese Cree headlamps so not a problem,had my hl 55 over a year now and still impressed from the brightness and the simplicity ,hope you like it farday

• Like Like x 1
  15. faraday

snap... bought too many shitty lamps over the years.

16. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Havent got any spare at the moment trev

17. faraday

no worries Ian, will use these blues and see how we get on.