1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Reel For Rock Fishing - Poll

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by smokey, Feb 22, 2007.

Tags:
?

What Is Your Favourite Reel For Rock Fishing

1. Penn 525 Multiplier

15 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Abu 7000 Multiplier

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Abu 7500 Multiplier

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Abu 9000 Multiplier

6 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Daiwa Slosh 30 Multiplier

26 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Daiwa Slosh 20 Multiplier

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Daiwa Slosh 40 Multiplier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Daiwa Slosh 50 Multiplier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Morrum Multiplier

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Calcutter Multiplier

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  11. Penn 535 Multiplier

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. smokey

smokey Rockling

With technology moving on so fast and so much choice on the market,whats the reel you love and use most? I use a 525 mag 95% of the time,loaded with suffix tritanium 25lb and a 60lb leader,and an old 7000c3 for the clifftops.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Whats Everyones Favourite Reel?

525 mag, daiwa 25 pound sensor t0 60 pound leader with a bimini as advised by MWW last year. I wouldn't go back to an abu now. LOts of people I talk to say the couldn't be bothered to retie a leader when they were fishing but the truth of the matter is you hardly ever have to because the leader takes all the abrasion and you hardly ever snap off.

3. mww

mww Rockling

Shore Fishing - 525mags for me as well - loaded with 20lb Sensor usually. Plus a black (Australian model) 7500CT for the rougher stuff with 25lb Sensor - think I've got a good 'un as it's about 7 years old & hasn't started locking up yet...there's a kiss of death if ever I've heard one!! Or maybe its because I don't catch anything big enough..... ;D. Plus a couple of Penn 980mags for cliff topping - mainly because they're a bit bigger than a 7000 & lower geared - more winching power - have lifted getting on for 6lbers up Bemmo on those

Boat fishing - Shimano TLD 5 & 10 - real agricultural reels, no fancy gimmicks, just good drags, graphite construction - they're virtually indestructible workhorses (another kiss of death....). As I think cps mentioned in another thread, they go the full tope season, & some codding either end, maybe 6 months, without lubeing, but they get a swill off with fresh water & lever drags backed off after every trip...

Mart

4. Steve

Steve Rockling

beach work. 525mag loaded with 23lb grauvell teklon gold and 60lb leader.
    rock work. daiwa slosh 30. they take some beating. loaded with 30lb berkley big game straight through.
    cliffs. slosh 50 or slx40.. these reels can really take some hammer esspecially the slosh 50. also use a penn 545 loaded with 80lb whiplash braid.

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I,ve tried a few different reels but keep going back to the Abu 7000 reels. at the moment i,m using a couple of 7000cs pro rockets which are an excelent reel with stronger handles than the 7000c,s and aluminum spools which don,t fur up then pit like the old ones, shame they don,t have the brass side plates though! I always take my Abu Morrum with me to use as back up but hardly ever use it, they were so close to to making the ultimate reel there but it just lacks in the casting department due to the oversize bairings. for mainline i use 30lb suffix supreme with a 60lb shockleader tied with a spider knot which isn,t quite as strong as a bimmini but a bit more practical to use when fishing i find. For beach fishing i use Abu 6500 mag elite rockets which have a few failings but are the best casting reel i have used. I bought 2 Penn 525 mags and used them a few times and although they have a good retrieve and made to last i think when i put the same diameter line on my Abu,s they cast just as far but carry a lot more line. I won another 525 which is still boxed and if any one makes me an offer they can have all 3, the other 2 are as new. I never gave them much chance really i just like my Abu,s.

6. Baramundi Bob

What price you looking at for the new one Ray ?

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I don,t know how much they are Glen but make me an offer which dosn,t insult me and it,s yours.

8. smokey

smokey Rockling

Have sent you a Message for one of the used ones Ray.

9. Baramundi Bob

I'm no good at bargaining Ray - let Smokey have it if he's interested ;D.

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

He,s got the used ones, the new ones on hold. let me know what price you can buy one for and i will let you have it for less. don,t worry i,m not trying to get bids :)
    Someone tell me how much a Penn 525 costs?

11. thornbackseeker

thornbackseeker New Member

hi smokey
    iv'got a penn 525 slidey,a penn 535 for the rock's,when i get round to going there,
    and an abu chrome rocket ,which i love,ive bird nested the 525,a couple of times
    but the rocket is great, is easy to use and seems to cast just as far as the penn,
    but was half the price,but the penn is easier to wind back in,
    i can live with both of them. 8)

12. cps

cps Rockling

13. dabber

dabber New Member

hi smokey. i use a calcutter 700. with 35lb sylcast to the trace. a good tough reel. and for the tops a pen 535 with 50lb fireline. tried bennys tonight for a couple of hours after tea. had one little rattle nothing came back. looked nice. j.haxby lost a rather large specimen there last night. it did show tonight.

14. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

glasgow angling centre

Penn GS Mag Reels
    The need for adjustable brake control before and during the cast is something surf anglers have longed for. No more taking off end plates and losing screws or brake blocks on the beach. If conditions worsen simply wind the single rare earth magnet a little closer to the spool for more braking power.

Features:

Finite spool control using rare earth magnet
    Spool machined from solid bar stock aluminium (Applies only to the Super Mag)
    Two Inboard bearings (Applies only to the Super Mag)
    Bearing Supported pinion gear (Applies only to the Super Mag)
    Special one way roller bearing for instant anti-reverse
    One piece graphite composite cage
    HT-100â„¢ multi-disc drag system
    Stainless steel pinion gear and bronze alloy main gear
    Soft grip power handle
    High speed retrieve
    Model Gear Ratio Bearings Capacity Price
    525 Mag 6:1 6 330yds/ 15lbs £127.66
    525 Super Mag 6:1 6 330yds/ 15lbs £106.38
    525 GS Mag 6:1 6 300yds/ 15lbs £84.26
    535 Mag 6:1 3 400yds/ 15lbs £84.26
    545 Mag 6:1 3 300yds/ 30lbs £127.66

Prices From £84.26 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

15. dabber

dabber New Member

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Cheers Ringer. Mine are the older version. Would you say the new ones are better for cast control. Some anglers seem to have problems with 525,s and others say they are fine.

17. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

www.tidaltackle.co.uk

Penn 525 GS Mag

Pack Size > 1 - £99.99

Precision-Machined Stainless Pinion Manganese-Bronze Main Gear Corrosion-Resistant Precision Casting Performance Powerful and precise Penn Versa-Dragâ„¢ Lightweight Graphite One-Piece, Open-Top frame High-Speed gear ratio Four Aircraft-Grade, Sealed, Stainless Steel Ball Bearings. Gear ratio 6.0:1. Line capacity 275 yds / 15lb mono.

Enter quantity:

RRP: £130.00 - Our Price: £99.99
    YOU SAVE: £30.01

www.bowlersangling
    Penn 525 Mag Multiplier

Quantity 1 @ £99.00
    Ex VAT £84.26

18. smokey

smokey Rockling

I hear it was a double jim,there for next time tho ;) ;)

19. Baramundi Bob

Keith at Saltburn says he will match any price you give him. A very nice welcoming shop with staff who actually fish. Although Dan torments me everytime I go in asking if I want some whiting hooks, its a pleasure to go there.

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

For my light beach outfit i use a abu 6500 sports mag loaded with 15 lb sensor , ,for my heavy ground work i,ve been using a daiwa sl30shv loaded with a cheapish 30lb line straight through withoiut shock leader,although ive been thinking of upgrading to a good line but havent had any great problems with line letting me down yet and due to roughness of ground being fished with this outfit i always end up re spooling line every few visits anyway , maybe one day it may let me down , and i must say this reel casts very well with one brake block in it, no overruns etc , i use to use a abu 7000 c syncro which i think is a brilliant reel , just looking for a conversion kit to remove level wind ,had this reel for about 12 years ish and it has never let me down ,just put new bearings in it and its as smooth as when the old fella bought me it ....