1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite angling author ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Bernie, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Bernie

Bernie Blenny

What's your favourite fireside read? I've just got 'Successful Shore Angling' by Anthony Pearson from the library to re-read. It fired me with enthusiasm when I was a teenager (OK a long time ago). He really captures the spirit of angling - did a lot of fishing on Holderness beaches when he worked at Hull Daily Mail. These books are £35 second hand now so I think others agree with me.

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Billy Lane - Freshwater Fish and How to Catch Em. Inspired me when I was a young lad :)

I'm hoping I have Matt Hayes - 'Fisheye' on its way for Christmas

Ken

3. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mr Crabtree & J R Hartley. Isacc Walton.

4. cincinatti

cincinatti Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

John bailey

5. limpet

limpet Blenny

j p garrad sea angling with the baited spoon and
    operation sea angler the second wave " mike ladle"

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

'Anglers Moon' Leo Walmsley. Standing on the scaurs with the moon ducking behind the clouds but lighting the high Cliffs with Ravenhall a top......I have often imagined young Leo rowing the captain out to the whiting grounds. Love the book. 8)

7. robq

robq Rockling

A classic that Dave :)

As is his other book the phantom lobster, about his patent folding lobster pot :)

8. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Got to agree with you mate,that was my era too I also loved the book's by Ernest Merrit......strange how the book's manage to disappear over the year's :eek:

9. TheNorthSea

TheNorthSea Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Dr Mike ladle "Hooked on bass" quality book

10. fisherjohn2010

fisherjohn2010 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Anthony Pearson and Leo Walmsley for me, too,but I'd also add Clive Gammon. All capture the real essence of what it's all about.

11. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

My top four books are from Mick Brown, Terry Hearn and Micky Gray. Can't remember the titles but Micks pike book was a good read, Both Terry Hearns books are an awesome read and inspirational and Micky Grays Merry Ole Dance was a cracking read didn't want to put it down, brought smiles and close to tears too.

12. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

All of you take note. An absolutely epic book is called 'Cod', by Mark Kurlansky.
    It is honestly absolutely fascinating and incredible.
    I have even lent it to girls, and they have enjoyed.
    It contains much more information and fascinating facts and stories than you would imagine possible.
    Enjoy.
    :)

13. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just started reading it bought it off amazon for my kindle bowt 6 quid ...... I can see me enjoying it looking on ebay now for a cod piece ;-)

14. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

another one for leo wamsley,anglers moon

15. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have this too, the enthusiasm, the descriptions and stories are all amazing, well worth a read ;)

16. MandolinBanjo

Sea fishing-river cottage handbook by nick fisher. A book bought for me as a present from my lady before I had a clue and it made me desperate to get out there and learn how to fish. I was reading it when I caught my first fish spinning in Scotland and had to use the book to I'd the pollack. Great memories and the book is very much part of it:)

17. MandolinBanjo

Is this a novel? I can't find much description of it, the cover looks very relevant though!

I see now that its a collection of anecdotes, is ther much info in it regarding rock fishing?

18. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Chris yates' a passion for angling does it for me. The banter between him and his mate bob on their epic journeys, to some of the best venues in the country, always fires me up! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

19. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hugh Falkus , seatrout fishing the bible for seatrout fishermen best one ive read on the subject

20. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

:)
    excellent book,also four fish by Paul Greenburg shows the sad decline of 4 of the worlds most poular fish cod,salmon,tuna and seabass, harrowing, sad and makes you sit up and take notice for sure.