1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fastest way to bring peelers on for the freezer?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by jase, May 27, 2014.

1. jase

jase Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Going to have a blast at the peeler game to stock up for the winter. Whats the fastest way to bring them on ready for the freezer?
    In water,out water,in sea weed, ect ect any info would be appreciated.

cheers jase

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

fastest way is in a well aerated and filtered tank , but watch out, they wil jump out of their shells while your not looking !

3. limpet

limpet Blenny

too right, i've had to freeze down a load of jellys so far, i need to train our lass how to check on them when i'm at work :D

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Yes just put them in well aerated water , check them morning and night as soon as you feel the carapace deflecting get there coats off and bang them in the freezer on cold oven tray , for me as soon
    as you feel movement on there shell --- Do them because they can turn into softies very quickly

5. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Do u cover the crabs totally in water lads or just a bit. Will get an air stone and pump

6. Bcawth

Bcawth Blenny

This is my first year off keeping peelers I've had successes so far with help off a good mate, I've found that dropping peelers into fresh airiated sea water will bring them on fast but if u put them in a try coverd with damp news paper they will keep for a while.

I had some just popping and kept them for 3-4 days in the fridge and they were perfectly fresh to use live the day off the match. It is very time consuming tho but worth it when u start to see your freezer fill up or have perfect peelers the day off your session

Cheers ben

7. jase

would you need go the extra step into filtering the water or just more frequent water changes?

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Because I live near the sea I don't bother most times with a filter as I can get sea water as reqd , I
    haven't had any problems bringing crabs on

9. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

ive been keepin green crabs for 30 years and never used a filter yet,just use about 2-3 inch of water,i only change it when its mucky, depends on how many crabs you have in as to how quickly it gets mucky
    .as has been said though you must check at least twice a day especially when its warm, also i never use an air stone as they quickly clog and knacker the diapham on the pump,just wrap a bit of lead round the air pipe to keep it in the water

10. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Agree with BriggBoy, I grade mine firstly and keep in trays with an inch of water, covered with a cloth. Once a day i put them in a tub with around 3-4inch of water in for around 20mins. All advice of this site, but best advice by a long way was taken from an article Baramundi Bob wrote, as soon as they start to crack i get them in the fridge with around 1cm of water, within 3-4 days they are ideal for peeling, losses are reduced this way as well. I'm definatly no expert but it works for me.

11. ash-ov-boro

ash-ov-boro Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/keeping-peeler-crabs

is this glens setup ? does anyone else have a simlar setup i wouldnt mind putting one together but wouldnt know what i need or where everything goes

12. jaydee

jaydee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah mate I use the exact same system as that .All I did was follow the instructions to the T .but you deffo have to keep an eye on them as some of the other lads have said otherwise you'll get jellies ..good luck

13. ash-ov-boro

Pm'd you JayDee

14. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

As mjg69 said firstly grade them as to how hard and how close to peeling. I use trays with 15 cm of water. If you have a lot of hard crab and want to bring them on I wouldn't rely on crabs sat in trays I would go for the well oxygenated tank. Don't put splitters in your tank they will just shell straight away. If the sides of the crab push in shell em and get them in the freezer if you want to hold a few splitters back for fishing put them on a full newspaper drenched and cover with a few sheets of wet but don't give them any chance of drawing water if you do you'll come back to crabs out of their shells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 magic crystals shine bright with this one Jedi

15. jase

some top notch info lads thanks, do you just take the crabs from the shore that have the dark leg under the shell of the back leg?

16. ash-ov-boro

Yes jase just the ones with a new leg underneath or jellys and poppers if it's just white sinew there not peelers

I'm new to this aswell

I need to set a tank up now just need to know how to set it all up there's hardly any info on the net for this

17. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

if your new to it why complicate things,all you need is a bucket of sea water,a container and an air pump like you would use in a small aquarium,then offf you go lol
    [​IMG]

18. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

[​IMG]

you can see the type of pump used,any crabs which are cracked go in the trays,

19. jaydee

jaydee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

PM SENT

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Are all the ropes for climbing into your crab tank Bill. They look very clean, almost unused ;D