1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme Anglers Killing The Last 100 Cod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Anthony Carter :nerd: to whitbyseaanglers

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yep, Rob & Dave will have made cod extinct by March :laugh:

Defra seem to think there are around 21 million rather than 100, I guess it's not so bad then :crazy:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2012/09/18/sunday-times-cod-claim/

3. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Sam, that Defra article sums up what I was trying to say in the original topic about the 100 cod claim. My guess is the size of cod they were speaking of, at 10 -15 years old are those at around 40 - 50lbs in weight, or even more.

I was not surprised by that claim as Ive only ever heard of a handfull of those being caught in my entire life. It was Sensationalized by the newpaper.

Quite surprised they never tried to fool the public further by saying "Cod Over 20 Years Old Are Now Extinct".

The sad thing is that the general public actually take this $hit in. I was once digging worms on a beach and some furious woman started hurling insults at me because I said I caught cod. This is the power of the press, they can say what they want and people take it as gospel.

4. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-sea-cod-setting-the-record-straight

5. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well in that case lobbers and clifftoprunner best stop fishing because after this years challange cod will be none existant at all on our coast :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

you get some right tits chat shit about stuff they have no idea about

6. robq

robq Rockling

I take it all with a pinch of salt LOL :happy:

Misinformed people spouting crap on the voice given free on the internet is nothing new :crazy: :crazy:

Only trouble is some idiots believe the crap !! there starts the wave of crap :surprise: :surprise:

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

What does he mean by "playing fair"?
    What utter bollocks!
    Is playing fair buying it from a supermarket or from the local chippie?
    In truth playing fair probably means..
    1 I,m jealous.
    2 I never catch anything
    3 what I catch is so small I return it.
    It,s gobsmacking that an angler has responded like that.

8. p.robbo

p.robbo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a kn*b.

9. Baramundi Bob

My response will be to refer him to this topic.

10. Baramundi Bob

I got the same $hit on radio 5 live. When they asked me to go on they gave me a few questions they would ask me on the live show. However when it was live she never asked my any of those questions and went straight to asking me why we were taking endangered species out the sea. Haha, I was ready for her though and gave her a lecture in sustainable rod and line fisheries. She went a bit quiet after that.

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: Nice one Glenn. Dodgy buggers thinking the'd catch you out. Is the interview online anyway Glenn?

12. Baramundi Bob

Not sure Sam. They picked the wrong person.

13. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

14. bow1

bow1 Rockling

thought youd have been prepred for questions li that.nice one.
    and who is this idiot!spouting ill informed crap!!!

15. oneeyed

oneeyed Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

who on earth listens to the rubbish that comes out of their mouths?

16. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

BBC take a more interesting thought line...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19755695

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Finally someone in the media talking some sense, makes a refreshing change.

18. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just shown zoe the to articles and the original comment and her exact words were

"and hes a fisherman? And belives what the papers have said? Who the f#@*k let that bloke lose with a fishing rod? He should have his gear taken off him and beat with it for beliving theres only 100 male cod left in the entire north sea what a moron"

I think that sums it up rather well haha

19. Baramundi Bob

Im quite pleased that Cefra, Cefas and The BBC have attempted to set the record straight. However the figure of 400 million cod doesnt quite set the record straight either.

There are, admittedly, a huge amount of cod in the north sea, however the spawning stock biomass is the figure that the scientists are most concerned about (Adult fish ready to spawn, they are the future of the fishery). Cod have a huge breading potential and in years like 97 they can produce a massive amount of young. However it is estimated that every year a significant proportion of those young dies before they are one or 2 year old. Very few make it to 3 years old. Why is this ? Predation, Bye catch and commercial fishing of juvenile cod - eg the herring spawn fishery.

The breeding stock biomass was at an all time low about 5 years ago. These are cod at around 6 years old. Thats number has not seen significant increase in the following years. It has seen a small increase but this should not be seen as a reason to hand out more quota or days at sea to the commercial fishing industry. For long term improvement and sustainability it has to be left alone many years to come.

Please dont be fooled by either The 100 cod claim, or the commercial claim that the seas are full of cod (with breeding potential). Neither are correct.

20. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Let's hope people don't get the wrong idea,talk of cod being on the increase can't be taken has the go ahead for the commercial's to go on the rampage, :angry:like you say Glen it's going to take a good few year's before we see visual signs of any obvious increase,when you see shore angler's all along the east coast catching good bags of fish week in week out,then i would be a wee bit more convinced :yes:....we can only hope :pray: