1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exmouth And Guernsey Kayak fishing road trip

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Apr 20, 2008.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well it looks lke I'm going on a yakking road trip. Going down to Exmouth for that RNLI bash thats been advertised elsewhere for the weekend of 17th/18th May and then mooching around the south coast before hopping over to Guernsey for the following weekend were we been promised some 'shark fishing' :scare: .

Been looking at the fishing available on Guernsey and it looks brilliant, an island covered in rock outcrops and sandy bays, its screaming big bass. If anyone can advise on the fishing down there I would be most greatful, going to take the yak but then also probably my shore and spinning kit too.

http://www.visitguernsey.com/guernsey.aspx

Oh and I need a little tent if anyone can loan me one, only a small two man thingy but would rather take one that can withstand a bit of wind n rain, if it gets bad i will be sleeping in the van tho :cheesy:. Dont really want to buy one as I promised myself I'ld never camp again but not dragging the caravan down there.

2. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Re: Kayak fishing road trip

I've got a small summer tent you can use Ken. It's not a 4 seasons jobby, but if you intend to shelter in the van if it gets rough, it might do you. You can borrow a sleeping bag and stove too if you want.

Sounds like a great trip.

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Aww thanks Clive, i'm pretty sorted for most of the kit, its just a tent i dont have anymore, wouldn't mind but I only sold my Armadillo bivvi a little while ago. Soo looking forward to it, not had a break from work in over two years, even at Christmas I worked a lot of it just to catch up. Did you do much fishing while you were down that way?

4. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Ken, I'm off to Cyprus on Sunday for a fortnight so if you let me know a convenient afternoon next week I'll pop over and swap the tent for the wheels.

I only did a bit of fishing off the rocks the times I was in Jersey. I was married to the first wife then and she wouldn't let me play out much so I left her. I only had a few wrasse,float fishing using limpets collected as I went along. My mate goes regularly though and he's had some monster bass and pollack on live launce and rubber eels.

Let me know what day is best and I'll bring it over.

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thats vey kind of you clive but the very least I can do is meet you halfway. Will pm you mate

6. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Sound like a good trip out Ken, I hope the weather is kind to you :cool: and don't forget your representing the cream of the kayaking community with the Whitby site - show them all how it's done, and don't come back with any southern ideas :whistle:

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

:laugh: I will do my best to be an ambassador for this great site of ours...
    Found this too: http://www.fishing-guernsey.co.uk/Default.html :wink:

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just a recent post on a Guernsey forum...........

Don't know if anybody was fishing Rousse recently, but apparently a fisherman went out to check his mooring recently, saw a splash in the shallows. When he checked it was a bass complete with rapala and braid caught in some weed. When Nigel Mahy weighed it, 9lb 2oz ouch what a fish to lose!!!!

was it green braid and was the rapala a sliver cos if it was the it was probably mine, lost one on tuesday night from the boat around that area

And on another post:-

On a serious note, it would seem there are some big bass around at the moment.

I'm packed and warming the van up :laugh:

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hope you have a great time down there Ken. I look forward to all the news on your return.

Anyone wanting to know more about the Guernsey and Exmouth Kayak Fishing weekends should check out our kayak fishing news page

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Bought a couple of Storm thundersticks of our Sam (Baxter Angling) today as advised by a guy who gonna take me out on Guernsey.

Found another interesting post on the Guernsey forum today dated the 13th April this year;- :wink:

Went out last night intending to get myself a decent bass after a run of non-weighers (under 3lb) and sure enough after much trying recently I caught a belter.....

First cast dropped a nice crab bait into a gulley that was just beggining to flood and didn't have to wait long before I caught a small bass of 2.3. Next cast nice big bait lobbed into the same area and sure enough a thumping take which I missed

So rebaited and landed it in the same area. About 2 minutes later, good bite and thump and I knew I was into a decent fish, took a few minutes to get him to reef but as it was quite shallow he beached himself quite nicely, got the torch on him and thought, &uck, thats a double for sure , anyway to cut along story short I weighed him straight away and he pushed the digi scales to 9.10, not a double but didn't give a monkeys as its a pb by a pound and half .

Had 2 more casts after that and caught 2 more silvers just under the 3 mark, interestingly the last one was a double hook up with a slimy sea rat attached to the top pennel!

Out of bait I headed off home for half a bottle of vino to try and calm down after one hell of session.

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just were do you start? :happy: Joined a forum local to Guernsey, those guys being most helpful with marks and methods. The planning starts here, the right kit, frame of mind and local knowledge should hopefully put me on a few fish from both the shore and kayak

[​IMG]

12. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

sounds like you got it sorted matey :yes: do keep us informed of how you get on and dont forget the camera lol

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just got comfirmation of my ferries and found a campsite for the few days between both events.............It gota pool to wash all the fish guts and slime off the yak :yes: :laugh:

[​IMG]

And more importantly a bar :yes: :cheesy: :wink:

[​IMG]

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Apparently we are doing a little porgy fishing on the bank holiday monday in Guernsey :scared: :scared: :scared:

We go out in a boat, the yaks go over the side and the boat is there for assistance :scared: :scared: :scared:

[​IMG]

16. Baramundi Bob

Plenty of pictures Ken :cheesy:

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:surprise: thats if you have any limbs left Ken, some Porgie eating yakker shots would be good :laugh:

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Feel sick with fear thinking about this one Glenn, I think I may stay firmly on the support boat and then I'll be screaming like a girl if one of those things shows me its teeth :yes: (just ask Rob about my 1st dogfish :embarrass:) :laugh:

Thanks for boosting my confidence Ray mate :laugh:

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Sorry Ken, never meant to put the fear of god in you but if a Porgie does happen to brutally sever both your hands, then swallow them :hurt: , and you somehow manage to survive, could I have your fish finder? And don,t worry as I will come down to unattatch it as they can be quite fiddley, especially with bleeding stumps :whistle: :laugh:

20. Baramundi Bob

No need to worry mate, You can get real good false limbs these days Ken. What's his kayak like Ray, could I save myself a few quid by waiting to see if the shark gets him ?