1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU ARTICLE 47 - Sea Angling Under Attack again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by stuartmac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Sea Angling Under Attack again

Its not a ban as such Dav its putting the anglers into the quota system. Regardless of the amount of quota available its a case of once its gone its gone and you wont be allowed to catch cod.

Having observed the NESFC checking the crabbing boats last week for cod caught in the pots. I am pretty sure their rib will be just as capable of landing at Boulby, hawsker, Cowbar or Goldsborough as it is of boarding the local crabbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If they are told to police anglers, make no mistake about it they will. If things get nasty then they have the powers to bring in extra men and even bring along the police. Remember it wasnt so long ago that a Whitby skipper was taken at gunpoint by the fisheries.

Slighly different, but,Going back a few years ago I observed how the EA dealt with the poachers on the Esk. Organised gangs willing to use violence were dealt with, some jailed. Very hard men were brought into line. Now there is no poaching on the Esk.

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

The thing is surely thats not fair on rod and line anglers, you will have boats scooping the cod out by the thousands , which would cut our season very early , would this raise tensions between rod and line anglers and the boat anglers whom use nets and trawlers....? i dont beleive for a minute that there would be one quota for us all , basically what ure saying is the boat quota will be raised and once this is up shore anglers are meant to stop fishing for cod.?...which would bring this debate back to square one .....I dont care who would police the shore angling but i can tell you now it wouldnt stop me from fishing for them with fair means , ie rod n line .....what you inside for mate ,,,er ,,,catching cod.....What gang are you in ,,,,the cod squad.... :laugh: :laugh:. its all bloody ridiculous......if they are that bothered about north sea cod stocks the only way to raise them for me is ban trawlers be it frogs, spics or brits.....

3. Baramundi Bob

I reckon you've now figured out what is on the table Dav, Its laughable isnt it. As daft as it sounds its no joke though mate. Its 100% truth that this proposal is going to Brussels in 2009 and if passed will be in place for January 2010. One quota for us all and once its gone its gone - probably slap bang in the middle of our winter season. Yes it would (already has) raised tensions with the commercial boys. They reckon they haven't got enough quota as it is and the last thing they want is to share it out any further than they already have to, which is just what will happen if were put in the system. Also we will be pi$$ed off if our season is cut short because they caught all the quota.

Maybe not Jail Dav, although it was the case for the salmon poachers I mentioned. Hefty fines and a criminal conviction for catching cod. Yes its ludicrous but in the eyes of Joe public you will be seen as irresponsible for threatening fishstocks and you will get no sympathy and deserve your fine and criminal record.

I once met a woman on Robin Hoods Bay who told me my behaviour was irresponsible. She really laid into me and obviously had been watching too much TV and reading Greenpeace broacher's. There's thousands more like her out there all believing those cod you caught last Sunday were the last of a dyeing breed.

4. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This has got me thinking, I know they can sort of keep tabs on what is coming ashore from the boats through the markets and obviously stopping and checking individual boats. but how will they keep an accurate reckoning of what is coming out from shore anglers?
    will we be required to register somwhere and check all our catches in? will they be hanging around at club weigh ins? checking pictures posted on internet forums?
    seems to me they will need to be hiring a lot of new personnell to cover all the bases and ensure they have a good idea of when to call time on the quota.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

I was thinking the same ben , but to be honest ide guess they wouldnt even consider checking what shore anglers catch , i would just think they will quota the boats and once they reach there limit , shore anglers would be prevented from landing cod ,
    Just goes to show they havent a clue what they are considering ....

6. Baramundi Bob

Ben,

In the Marine Bill Response made by the NESFC they told government they need extra cash and 6 extra staff if they are to police sea angling in the region. The full details are on the forum somewhere. This signifies they have given and still are giving thought to how they will monitor us.

Simply saying it cant be done isn't enough to make them go away. The best way forward is to do your very best to ensure they don't bring it in. Where's your fight lads ? this is a country where our freedoms are slowly been eroded. Stand up and fight for them as you wont ever get them back.

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Just had a phone call from one of my regulars who fishes with me he is livid with what he has just read in the sunday times he said the artickle has portrayed anglers as litterally rapeist of the sea he said the artickle is a disgrace to the average angler havent had chance to read it my self but will be getting a copy .

paul.

8. rizla

rizla Blenny

this is the sort of behaviour that gives ammunition to derfa, http://www.mfa.gov.uk/news/086116.htm

9. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Everyone
    Don't be mislead by the quota announcement. That is for the coming Year and Glenn is right this will go to Brussels or Strasbourgh and 2010 will be the Year of the END, The attached link indicates the determination of the EU.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5375688.ece

Another point made by Leon in another forum is that the EU don't understand the term RSA ther's a surprise. The EU refers to Recreational Fisheries which in many EU Countries refers to fishing with nets from shore or boat which is unlicensed and uncontrolled. They fish for the table and sell the surplus. Consequently they can and do catch considerable quantities which is the nub of the legislation. We have got to emphasise that the RSA sector fish by rod and line for pleasure and that if the fish are sold that is not part of RSA as we understand it.

10. rizla

rizla Blenny

sorry it's http://www.mfa.gov.uk/news/080116.htm

11. rizla

rizla Blenny

link doesn't work, a lad in lancs' caught 80 bass which included 17 undersize,big fine £750 i think. there was also a mention on the early morning news[radio] which made me interested enough search for the story. not 100% sure it's the same story but 80 bass were involved.

12. rizla

rizla Blenny

http://www.mfa.gov.uk/news/news/080116.htm

13. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Anyone who has any doubt about the fisheries officers ability to police our more remote and inaccesable rock marks should perhaps take notice of the amount of people convicted last summer for catching lobsters with crab hooks around birdflight,seal goit and hummersea.
    Slightly different topic but the point I am making is the fisheries officers can and will police every part of our coastline if instructed to do so.We must try and do something before it is to late.

14. Baramundi Bob

Interesting link Stuart. This quote really shows them for what they are :

"Anglers are the largest human threat for many species off America. Other research suggests the same is true around Europe. "

WHAT A £UCKING JOKE THAT STATEMENT IS.

15. rizla

rizla Blenny

agree with you there foo,there has to be a code of conduct. there are people on here who know much more than me about the past arguments for fishing licences and the present proposals but i've read some of the publications and the affect of the shore angler on the environment was a big concern. this was both above the water and below it there's not much you can do if you get snagged and lose your rig/line unless you can retrieve it at low tide but,you can do something about litter,discarded bait,fish parts etc and the councils should be helping.take whitby as an example. a substancial part of the economy comes from sea angling but in the well known fishing spots eg west pier,sandsend car park, there are no bins for bait/fish guts/line cut offs etc. self regulation is better than poorly thought out laws by shortsighted bureaucrats.

16. Dab Hand

Dab Hand New Member

Like all of you. I love our sport and don't wish to see it curtailled.

I've just checked the petition against these proposals and signed up to it. So far only 62 signatories. The Times quoted 1.4 million people in the UK taking part in recreational sea fishing each year (source: The Maritime Agency) Lets get as many signatures as possible.

Make sure you bend your local MPs ear and ensure he is aware of the proposals and your feelings. Assuming that of the 1.4 million the majority are of voting age collective clout is our best approach.

I've pasted the link again http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/rsa-eu-proposal/

Get signing. Get heard. Take Action Now do not leave it for others. We need to get this all over the media and fight or we lose.

David :yes: :yes: :yes:

17. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Can anyone point me in the direction of the link we had on the forum to a video about a trawler dumping fish please?
    I have an interested party who would like to view it.
    Thanks in advance.

18. CBass

CBass New Member

19. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Thanks mate,

I have an MEP who is very interested in doing a press release about this, so I am trying to give him as much info as possible. I've been asked to copy in their colleagues to any emails so looks promising, one can only try!!
    A few others are taking a positive interest. I'v been in touch with my MP, MEP's and a Lord. Xmas coming so a couple have said they will get back to me afterwards.
    If they don't, I will jog their memory for them!

You might find the facts on this vid interesting! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=neFn43AnvTU&feature=channel if you havn't already seen it.

20. CBass

CBass New Member

Here's some facts for him

According to the European Commission, annual North Sea discards are estimated between 550,000 and 880,000 tonnes.

Source WWF http://www.wwf.org.uk/search_results.cfm?uNewsID=186

1.1m households contain at least one member who had been sea angling in the past year

Source Defra https://statistics.defra.gov.uk/esg/reports/seaangling/onepage.pdf

Assuming conservative figures thats a mere two tonnes of fish kept PER ANGLER, PER YEARbefore the RSA sector even catches up with the discards, let alone the actual quota's. If you get out once a week to fish that's 38kg or 84lbs per session, that would win a few matches. :laugh: