1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU ARTICLE 47 - Sea Angling Under Attack again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by stuartmac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. CBass

CBass New Member

Re: Sea Angling Under Attack again

The MEP is the person who reviews European law, write to all the ones in your area. Write to them in the first instance it may well have flown under their radar, or they may not care unless we bother them.

Write to your MP as well, who has no input on European law but may want to bring it up in parliment and may have their own view on it.

Write to your local paper as well, the letters page etc. They love stories like "Millions of tourist ££s set to be destroyed by EU ruling"

Paul I can completely believe it runs into millions of pounds, and believe that they don't know their *rse from their elbow when it comes to what happens in the real world. Great that you have organised a meeting. Blind them with figures, as well, show them the input that angling has to the local economy, point out that the northeast has the highest unemployment in the country. If pointing out the facts doesn't work give them a powerpoint presentation, I'll even do one for you.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

This was the local tourism response to the licence. Most the same points still run true :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/whitby-tourism-association-supports-recraetional-sea-angling

Maybe you could make use of it.

3. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

i mailed my meps last night for TS17 ,first thing thing this morning i got a reply off one saying thanks i will have a look at the relevant documents on this important issue, sounded quite genuine , so its like what was said by c bass get in touch it might have not been on there agenda and know little about it (what a shock) is anything cheers
    jim :yes:

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Probably god but try your MEP first.

paul.

5. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Paul
    Here is a link to the study that you referred to:
    http://statistics.defra.gov.uk/esg/reports/SeaAngling/default.asp

6. Jem

Jem Blenny

7. deecee

deecee Blenny

This is a frightening proposal and I concur with Glenn’s views. We have to respond as individuals where there is the slightest of hope that our views may alter the outcome.
    I understand the responses indicating that this is not something that can be enforced or that violence will be rained down on any enforcement officer wanting to look at a bag brimming with codling. Whilst I would probably help Lobbers in taking direct action :evil: IMHO that does however miss the point. That is that it is something that should not have to be enforced and there should be no right to look in someone’s bag to check quota compliance.
    To be frank most laws do not need to be enforced against the average guy because unlike Johnny foreigner most of us are law abiding citizens who do as we are told. Whilst the likes of the French authorities will turn a blind eye rest assured that our crazy government will not. If we were to decide to ignore the law I suspect that at the very least our individual pleasure would be tainted by the worry of doing something wrong and the potential penalties if we were caught. Why should we have our pleasure removed? Whilst it is tempting to say it cannot be enforced and even if it is we will use violence on the enforcers I think that we would all prefer not to be in that situation. If an individual protest can help stop this happening then we should do what we can.
    I sympathise with Ray’s views on this. Why do we have to be continually troubled by such proposals? Why can our elected representatives not protect our interests without being pushed into it? The sad fact is that “we are where we are” and if we don’t do something for ourselves the chances are that no one will do it for us.
    I am grateful to those who have provided the warning and have sent this to my MP/MEPs

“I have noted that the EU Commission has drawn up proposals to impose catch quotas on pleasure angling.
    The Commission seems intent on imposing controls on recreational sea angling (boat and shore) and to deduct recreational catches from the quotas of the commercial fishing industry.
    The proposals indicate that recreational sea anglers would be subject to a combined quota with commercial fishermen. History shows us that quotas for species such as cod are often quickly exhausted and we therefore face a situation where recreational sea anglers would be prohibited from exercising their right to fish. That has the potential to affect the leisure activities of a substantial portion of the UK population , the income of commercial boats , the income of angling charter fleets and not least the turnover of a multitude of associated businesses such as hotels, chandlers, tackle manufacturers, tackle retailers etc.
    Many recreational anglers spend several hundred pounds each year on tackle, bait and local facilities. The spend by, or in connection with, private boat owners and angling charter boat operators is greater by several orders of magnitude
    I suspect that the numbers of recreational sea anglers in your constituencies run into the tens or even hundreds of thousands. These proposals will affect each and every one. Whilst apathy generally reigns supreme that is often because the majority assume that their elected representatives will look after their interests. Rest assured that this will likely be one occasion when even the apathetic will react at the voting booth if they suddenly find their prime recreational activity is suddenly prohibited and that their MP/ MEP has not fought their corner. Whilst this letter is mine alone I do feel that views expressed represent the general feeling of the silent majority. Indeed I note from internet discussion groups that this is the hottest of hot topics for recreational sea anglers and that the proposals are causing not a little consternation and pure anger.
    I understand that several nations have already prompted their MEPs to raise protests at Strasbourg. Can I ask that you too consider vigorous action to prevent these ill advised and freedom restricting proposals going any further.
    I would appreciate hearing your views and in particular of any action you propose to take in this connection”

8. viking291

viking291 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:cry:Our right to fish may be at risk, but what about the tackle trade. Hard enough times for them, surely they have a body that should be lobbying the government on there behave.

Then we have the press, have not seen much of an uproar about this from the mags or the good old "Angling Times" mind you they only seem to think about crap, sorry carp

9. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Good point viking about the fishing press.
    The Sea Dangler probably won't mention anything about this until around March seeing as they plan about 2-3 months ahead, the same as their reports and predictions!

10. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Did anybody watch the discovery channel tonight about humbolt squid ?, it was very interesting and they where on the increase decimating fish stocks at a alarming rate...... food for thought,
    One fisherman said you sometimes see the on the surface tenticals every where eating everything in there path,
    im not sure how big the squid get to are around our waters but them humbolts attack divers :scare:
    one thing is tho i like eating squid stuffed with musscels and cockles and garlic :laugh:

11. deecee

deecee Blenny

Well I've had this reply ........ at least he isn't supporting the proposal! :pray:

Thank you for your email regarding proposals to limit recreational
    catches.

I will do what I can to oppose this proposal.

Yours sincerely
    Stephen Hughes MEP
    > This message was also sent to: Fiona Hall MEP, Martin Callanan MEP

Dave

12. kipper

kipper New Member

a senario.

yakking with one or two cod on board,will we be looking out for the gun boat to come and confiscate our tackle along with the yak as once happened to trawlers fishing off s.e island during the cod wars? will it come to this where you are afraid to catch a cod or other species for fear of being prosecuted?

13. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I cant read this without having an image of the north eastern guardian "boarding" your yak and shaking you down for cod....seems absurd, but yes I suppose you would fall under the same board and inspect procedures that currently blight the commercial fleet, although I doubt they would waste the time to bother with a kayak
    If we ever do fall under the wrath of the quota system it will be bloody miserable for everyone who wets a line, it will be a case of learn to fish remote areas or dont fish at all, Im a pretty lazy angler personally and I enjoy nothing more than chilling out on a pier or sea wall in my leisure time, if this passes and I have to hang off ropes getting down cliffs then I'll probarbly just not bother

14. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

never once mentioned using violence, all i said was i would like to see someone waiting at goldsbrough to check bags, it just aint gonna happen

15. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Paul they might not venture down the cliff they will just wait at the top thats a lot easyer i can tell last summer i know of one lad who had put some potts out near the boilers the NSFC guys waited on sandsend cliffs for him comeing back up the goat track just to check how many lobsters he had taken out of his potts they had seen him on the rocks from there patrol boat with there glasses beleive me nothing will be to much trouble for them if they mean buisness.

paul.

16. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Your spot on Paul (bigcod) I know around here the FPO'S know exactly whats going on,who's getting what and when they want to they make their move.Granted they don't do it very often but it would only take a couple of example court cases to be highlighted in the press and as previously mentioned the majority of people will tow the line.P.S that patrol boat misses little what with its underwater camera to check for tagged pots,bait types etc big brother is certainly watching.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Does this still stand even tho according to last nights news the cod quotas are being raised for uk skippers for next year ?

18. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

still could'nt give a monkeys dav, like i said before, i would love to meet the man who wants to see what i have in my bag at the top of boulby ropes,, it aint gonna happen, it will foyk match fishing right up, but what the hell , matches are just an excuse to go fishing anyway :yes: :yes: :yes:

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

To be honest with you paul i cudnt give a monkeys me self , but i was just wondering if the previous posts regarding banning anglers fishing for cod still stood......?
    Did anyone else see the news regarding this.....

20. kipper

kipper New Member

they mentioned good times ahead for east coast fishing, larger quotas of cod. so it seems like the pressure is off, though, you can never trust policy makers and their deliveres.