1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU ARTICLE 47 - Sea Angling Under Attack again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by stuartmac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. adminbot

adminbot New Member

http://www.fishnewseu.com/latest-news/uk/972-eu-control-plans-lashed-as-backward-and-a-travesty.html

http://www.afloat.ie/news/no-quota-on-recreational-anglers/

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9113.0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7949893.stm

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/tag/eu-article-47

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

An interesting topic entitled "European Idiots Are At It Again"

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357116

3. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi
    Reference my last post, here is an update on the timescale for Art 47. Thie is confirmed by a DEFRA e-mail to a colleague.
    "As you know there is a report pending in the European Parliament's Committee on Fisheries. That report addresses the content of the 116 Article long draft control regulation issued by the European Commission November last year. 290 amendments have been delivered to the Rapporteur Mr Raül Romeva i Rueda. These amendments will be voted on 31 March. Then another round of amendments before the Plenary vote on the Parliament's final report 24 April.

The Parliament's input has only status of "an opinion". The Commission and Council don't have to take it into account when they decide their final text sometime in the Autumn.

Concerning Art 47 the Rapporteur himself have delivered amendments, which waters down a bit what can be found in the draft regulation proposed by the European Commission. Other MEPs have delivered amendments to Art 47 (taking EAA's advice on this). Also amendments with a defintion on recreational angling to be put in under Art 4 have been delivered. They also follow closely advise given by EAA.

The Council working group meet every Thursday (chaired by the Commission). So they will meet again today. Art 42 could be dealt with today but else one of the next two Thursdays I guess. I am pretty sure the Commission have something on paper now, which I don't know about and which I will only get to know when presented for the Thursday council working group. (I was promised by Commisison staff three weeks ago a written answer to the EAA's 15 pages "Initial Response" of 7 January but never got any - presumably because they are changing direction on this and that still)."

4. Baramundi Bob

Hi Stuart and thankyou for your update. It would appear that the EU and now DEFRA are keen to keep telling us that Article 47 has been "Watered down a bit".

They are hoping that shore anglers wont back up the boat anglers. The message back should be, in my opinion, that sea anglers are sticking together an totally oppose their inclusion in article 47.

We need to remember that today it is boat anglers, but next week it will be the kayaks and then the shore boys will come under the same regulation.

The EU are the people who let Spain and Frances commercial fishermen hammer fish stocks on our door steps yet they want to restrict our boat anglers from catching fish in their own back yards. This whole thing is beyond comprehension.

5. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

thanks stuartmac, and yes BB your seeing it the same way as I am but I say divide & conquer, that`s what they`re up to. I haven`t fished off a boat for 18 years but I will still back boat anglers & charter skippers simply because we are all anglers and share a common interest, we`re in it together full stop. Any self respecting sea angler regardless of how they fish should not be sitting back while these people get their claws into our sport, once they get a grip they wont stop till they get what they want. The amendments have only watered A47 down, they are nothing to be happy about and certainly no celebrations are in order, nothing has been gained in the long run. I for one don`t want to see amendments, I want to see A47 omitted altogether.

BB can you not change the forum pictures at the top of the page where it says "Whitby Fishing Forums" and add the words "Opposes EU Article 47" lets make sure everyone visiting the site realises their sport or hobby is at risk to these modern pirates trying to rape and pillage our liesure time.

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well i dont understand the ins and outs, but if it shore boat or yak fish we all need to stick as one. At the end of the day we all love fishing in different ways.

we have to stick together on this i only shore fish but i support all aspects of the fishing we all do.

7. Baramundi Bob

Arbroath Charter Skippers Are Unhappy

http://www.arbroathherald.co.uk/news/TOWN-SUMMIT-ON-EU-PROPOSALS.5091101.jp

8. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

That article has set me thinking. If A47 comes in to force, A whitby charter boat leaves Whitby harbour with 12 anglers on board, half the anglers are say French tourists and the other half are British. Would the fish caught by the French anglers be counted against the French quota and likewise with the British anglers against the British quota, or would all fish caught be British quota.

9. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am sure they would all be British Quota. Half the Dutch and Spanish have bought British Licences from our boats so that they can catch our quota. This whole thing is total madness but that is the EU for you and regrettably Edward Heath signed us up to it, but no one ever told us the truth about what we would face.
    Cleeclive

10. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

SAY NO TO EU ARTICLE 47

Like it Glenn :wink: does the job nicely.

11. Baramundi Bob

Yes good idea you had there mate. Im gonna work it in elsewhere to.

12. Baramundi Bob

Hi Stuart Mac,

If the article 47 vote is next week as claimed by UKIP then DEFRA have lied and you will be meeting them after the decision has already been taken ??

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/charter-boast-will-need-a-licence

13. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

DEFRA seem to be on the back foot with all this now, I do not think that they expected so much hostility from the angling community. They do not enjoy hostile meetings with commercial fishermen and now they have another group to contend with, hence all the cancelled meetings etc. We must keep up the pressure with all of this and start giving them a hard time when they do lie and cancel meetings etc.
    Cleeclive

14. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Glen
    Re your query I had an action table and I cannot find it at the moment but that showed the progression through to it becoming law. The meeting this week as I understand it is the MEPs who vote propose amendments etc which the Commission then can ignore. The Commision then take it to the Council of Ministers who decide if it is going to happen and whether it is amended etc. I encouraged DEFRA to cancel as I thought it was pointless getting everyone to attend some would have travelled a fair old distance just to be told "We don't really know the intentions so we have not briefed the Minister. So really I cannot tell you anything" The guy I need to talk to is on the attendance list of a meeting I am at next week so I will be back on the case as the last date I heard for them reaching Art 47 was tomorrow.

15. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

16. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Just a note to say that they appear to be discussing Art 47 this Thursday. I have had a load of emails today providing some more information I need to put it into a reasonable form before I can give any further updates. The sheet containing the amendments alone will take some time to digest. There is a press release going out urging keeping the pressure upon MEPs and MPs. I cannot over estimate the importance of the kayakers and shore anglers keeping involved we have got to stand together and put the pressure on to remove the private and charter boat anglers from this legislation. Just because the Commissioner says in his words "Hobby anglers" wont be included this may not mean what it implies. How many of you are "hobby anglers" who take up spaces on the 400 odd charter boat fleet in the UK. The fact you are on a boat would if you take the meaning of the Commissioner's pronouncement at face value be included in the regulation.

17. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi everyone
    The meeting on Thursday is with the Civil servants and relates to when we can try and get them out in the sticks to talk about this.
    The following link:
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/expert/infopress_page/033-52909-089-03-14-904-20090330IPR52908-30-03-2009-2009-false/default_en.htm
    is a report from a meeting held yesterday with the raporteur who takes the ammendments forward to the next plenary session.
    There is some movement in this as they have removed a couple of SHALLS and replaced them with MAYS. that is the Member State i.e.DEFRA may do instead of shall do. They are still committed to boat anglers by this I mean the charter Boats and private boat owners excluding kayaks. It still is not clear what happens with the punters on the charter boats whether the skippers will have to keep records or the individuals. As I have said previously this is a result in a minor skirmish not the battle. If this result was to materialise as the regulation who is to saythat DEFRA will not impose restrictions under their MAY mandate and we would still be s...ffed. Keep up the lobbying.

18. Baramundi Bob

The conservatives have now added their voice :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9345.new#new

19. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Nice to see some political backing but will the big guns be coming out to defend us. Up to know the 2% of our population that recreationally fish the sea have been left to fend for themselves, we do really need the Government behind us but I think article 47 is attractive to them financially, they could scrape more money from our bleeding skin and that seems to be all they want to do. 1.1 million RSA`s X eg £25 license = £27,500,000, that`s alot of MP expense accounts.

20. Jimaru

Jimaru New Member

I have just came back from 3 weeks in LOOE and the fishing there is just about played out. Got out 3 days and the skippers had to buy frozen mackerel for bait it is usually alive with them the pollack was just as hard to get only 1 of 14lbs the rest undersize and not many of them the only thing of any numbers was ling.
    The Shark Angling Club has about 10 boats on their books and they had next to no booking's The only good thing the weather was great.
    They want to take a good look a the inshore trawling before they look at the Rod and Line angling