1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU ARTICLE 47 - Sea Angling Under Attack again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by stuartmac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A short video about article 47. The video contains swearing from the start. Please do not click the link if you disapprove of such language.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/sacn-bass-nfsa-angling-trust-you-killed-sea-angling

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Another email from SSACN...........

Marine Scotland has been formally launched by the government, it is meant to offer better protection to Scotland’s marine environment by delivering a simplified management and regulating system for all marine activities in Scotland.

It is planned that it will be up and running by April 1, will play a key role in managing Scotland’s seas, with direct responsibility for marine science, planning, policy development, management and compliance monitoring measures. It will work with other partners with marine interests to deliver economic prosperity – including in developing areas such as marine renewables - and environmental sustainability.

There will be a substantial challenge to make sure our interests are addressed by this new organisation, anyone wishing to get involved in helping meet it, please drop us a line at contact@ssacn.org

3. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

That is fantastic. Pathetic weasels! What am I supposed to do now? Take up carp fishing?!!!!

Absolutely brilliant. Ought to be required viewing for every angler in Europe (with apologies to our German friends!).

Top post Glen.

4. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

recieved today from local conservative mep

Further to your email, I am writing to inform you of some significant developments regarding Article 47 (monitoring of recreational fisheries). Following intense lobbying, Fisheries Commissioner Joe Borg informed the Fisheries Committee (in the European Parliament) yesterday that he had no intention of bringing recreational fishermen under the scope of the CFP.

The Commissioner was very clear in ruling out any extension to "recreational anglers who catch a few kilos of fish, even recovery stocks like cod, and take it home for their own use." He went on to promise that he would fine tune Article 47 so that it only targets sea anglers who catch and sell recovery stocks for profit.

I hope this news will alleviate your initial concern and I will continue to monitor the situation to ensure that the Commissioner keeps to his word.

Yours sincerely,

Martin Callanan MEP
    Conservative
    North East England

5. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

absolutely mint ! :cheesy: :cheesy: worthy of its own thread that is glen, LOL

6. Baramundi Bob

I discussed this yestarday with Stuart Mac and we decided not to put it on here in fear it would take the pressure off the EU. Ive read the statement and we certainly arent off the hook as yet. A lot of ambiguity in what was said. I reckon its another cunning plan to diffuse the heat on the eu. I say keep the pressure on your MEPS and an eye firmly on the ball. Remove the word angler/angling from the document entirely.

7. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I could not agee more, until this vote no one knows and they would love the pressure to be taken off. We still have no idea how this will finally be worded and agreed, who will and will not be included etc. It would be very dangerous at this stage to start easingthe pressure on the EU.

First rule of life - NEVER TRUST A POLITICIAN!!

cleeclive

8. Baramundi Bob

In the latter part of January our sea angling reps met with DEFRA and CEFAs to discuss Article 47. You can view leaked minutes of that meeting here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/north-east-fishing-news/eu-article-47-angling-representatives-meet-defra

Some interesting points for me are :

To me this is pure fantasy. I don't know many members, infact they haven't got many members, but those I DO KNOW DO NOT PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE. This myth that all anglers return all their fish needs nipping in the bud before it lands us in serious trouble. Its not true

This is the man who swore blind on WSF that he had retired from SACN - "I used to be on the SACN Executive Group (unpaid), but stepped down from that last year (taking up too much of my fishing time). "

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156492

Quite clearly the bloke is a lyer and not to be trusted.

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

You really don't like Leon Roskilly do you Glenn :wink: . What I don't understand is that I have never heard or seen him fighting our corner - as we know he does come onto this forum occassionally but i cannot ever recall him making a positive post - why has he not put his ten pence on this thread??? Its been running long enough, why hasn't he come on and comfirmed he has heard our views, and let us know if he agrees/dis-agrees????? Isn't he suppose to represent us?

I don't really understand what SACN is suppose to be all about - hell we have heard more about the Scottish 'SSACN' than we have our own.... What is clear though is that there are people on this forum (as well as a few forums) who would be much better at getting our views across and have a much more balanced and realistic view than Leon Roskilly.......... Just a nudge guys :happy:

10. Baramundi Bob

To right I dont like Him Ken. He wishes to completely destroy our sport as we know it now and as I have illustrated is not beyond lying to do so. He clearly told WSF members he had stood down when he hadnt.

He is an anti. The truth of the matter is that his organisation has less than 600 individual members yet he is at these meetings claiming to represent sea anglers. Have you read through the attendees Ken. Any sign of a member of any charter skippers association ? these are the people who should have been invited it will be their livlihhods that are ruined.

Richard Ferre isn't far behind with his lies. How can you tell DEFRA that your members exclusively practice catch and release. Its an outright lie.

Makes my blood boil. Its my birthday and I'm meant to be stress free. Im off fishing whilst I still can, lets hope I dont trample some special fauna whilst Im out..

11. cleeclive

There are major problems with all of this but trying to kid CEFAS and DEFRA that sea anglers operate on a catch and release basis was shear stupidity, the man wants locking up!! The cat is basically out of the bag in that anglers are not going to co-operate with supplying catch data, if they do it is likely to be a fairy story and why bother because we put it all back anyway. Thes escientists and officials are not fools and this is just giving them complete licence to do what they want because we are showing little credibility to our cause.

I fear the worst and the more I learn have little confidence in those representing our cause. The same thing is of course happening with regard to the MPAs and Nasty Nature.

It is obviously time to sumarise my thoughts on events of the last week for the News item, but I am going for a few beers and a wee Dram tonight to help put all this nonsense into some perspective.

Cheers

Cleeclive

12. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Everyone
    It looks as if we have all forgotten about Art 47. Have you all believed what Jo Borg said and it's not going to happen. The MEPs are working on our behalf but we have to keep up the pressure the Press Officer for theMarine Committee is continually writing to MEPs etc. Here is a reference to one of the replies www.tomwisemep.co.uk Tom's final comment was that therewas strong opposition from the members but he was uncertain what the Commission would do and not to hold our breath. Well if we hold our breath the likely hood is we'll drown. So come on lads and lasses keep up the pressure.

13. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Again
    I have just checked his web site OOPS!!! There was nothing relevent there. So Here is what he said:During the meeting of the Fisheries Committee on the 21st January, we had the "first exchange of views" on the Romeva I Rueda report which includes, in Article 47, a plan to make all sea anglers and recreation fishermen not only announce their intention to catch fish, but also report their catch upon return. Failure to do so will make them liable to prosecution and hence a criminal record, with fines up to £50,000.

Unusually, I was the first to be asked to speak. This was my contribution.

"Mr Chairman, Here we have another Lenin moment -"worse is better" - and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I refer to Article 47.

Angling is the second biggest outdoor recreation in Britain. Part time or occasional anglers "recreational fishermen" choose to try to catch fish and enjoy their hobby as a sport; is it really the Commission’s intent to make these folk criminals? Is it their intent to bureaucratise a hobby? If so, I will join them , I will become a fisherman in protest so that I too can break the law. Why folk choose to sit - sometimes for hours in the rain - is beyond me, but I could do that.

And what of permits or licences? More bureaucracy. Imagine if you will a family on holiday in a seaside resort. We have hundreds of them in the UK. Anyone who wants a day trip in a small boat, maybe to catch a small fish, has to fill in a form before they leave. When they get back, they have to fill in another and prove they have not caught anything that is not permitted. More forms, and for whose benefit? Will the operators also have to be registered?

What about those folk who use their own boats? Will there be inspectors waiting to catch them in possession of an illegal fish? The UK has the longest coastline in the EU; thousands of miles long, who will police that? More bureaucrats? If this is implemented, you will simply anger millions of ordinary folk against the EU and its stupidities.

Last week it was the Farmers you fundamentally undermined with disastrous pesticide regulations. This week it is anglers. Next week? Well, is there anyone left? Please delete Article 47."

Amazingly, there was huge support for my posi tion from subsequent speakers. Whether the Commission will take any notice is not yet clear, but history tells me not to hold my breath

Sorry about the .....up

14. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Well said Stuart...
    I have no axe to grind as such, I am just one of the anglers you mentioned in your post. I go fishing a few time per year, I am disabled to some extent so the outdoors is good not only for me physically but also mentally.
    I travel 125 miles EACH way to go fishing, am I then going to be expected to let some 'body' know that I intend to go fishing, keep a log of what I catch, then dispose of a dead fish back into the sea because it's over quota, and of course, I will have to check before I go to make sure what is in quota and what is not.
    If I don't do this I risk a fine of up to £50,000 and confiscation of my gear?

Can some 'body' please tell me what colour the sky is on the planet of the ones who think up these rules live on?
    On my planet it's BLUE!! The same colour as the SEA!!

The EU....God help us all.

15. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

It looks like you`re right stuartmac people have forgotten, but not all, I know some people are still concerned. I put up a thread asking for geographical information, no replies but managed to find some info myself, it concerns parish councils and also town councils within the NESFC area. I think one way pressure can be used is through these councils running local referendums, it can be started by 6 people in a parish/town calling a public meeting, at the meeting 30% of the turn out must be in favour of a local referendum {or 10 people which ever figure is smaller} then the local government authority is notified of the outcome of the meeting and they must run the local referendum. The important thing is the referendum must be run on a question which has a yes/no answer. The result of the referendum isn`t important in our case, just the fact that it`s been run is enough, I believe if a borough council has to start running these things on multiple demands they will certainly sit up and take notice. The turn out to vote may only be people directly involved with sea fishing but that don`t matter, as long as they`re on the electoral register. I`ve downloaded a document containing instructions to do this and model letters that should be sent to relevant people to get things going.

If anybody is interested in starting to apply pressure I could forward the information on. It is covered by a government act, so it is legal and nobody can stop it once it`s started. It is one right we still have left. Here are a few areas I`ve found where I believe a local referendum could be run.

Hinderwell Parish Council = Staithes, Hinderwell, Port Mulgrave, Runswick Bay and Dale House.

Saltburn Marske and New Marske Parish Council.

Flamborough Parish Council.

Mappleton Parish Council.

Barmston and Fraisthorpe Parish Council.

Paull Parish Council.

Filey Town Council.

Whitby Town Council.

Bridlington Town Council.

Hornsea Town Council.

Withernsea Town Council.

These places have a dependence on sea angling some more than others but the fact they`re on the coast means anglers live there and should support it. I think it`s worth the effort and could quite easily spread round the country and cause the government to sit up and take notice.

16. Baramundi Bob

Sounds interesting. What would be the referendum question ?

17. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Should the British government support the EU Article 47 and turn their back on the British recreational sea angling industry.

YES

NO X

I`ve filled my ballot paper

18. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Newyacker
    I think this is worth a try. If you have no objections I would like to put this idea to some of my contacts round the coast and see if we can get a ground swell going as you suggest.

19. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

stuartmac,
    How can I have any objections mate, this thing is there for anybody and everybody just so long as their on the electoral register and if it can be used to help against article 47 or any other stupid idea, all the better. The only problem I can see is if it`s used to good effect, one day it will be removed from the government act that allows it. Anyway I`ve sent you a link to the document, have a look, see what you think, I think it`s defo a go er and will cause some effect.

20. cleeclive

Please forward the link to me I will try to get things moving on the South Bank, sounds to be an excellent move

Cleeclive