1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU ARTICLE 47 - Sea Angling Under Attack again

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by stuartmac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Everyone
    Not only have we got the Marine Bill and MPAs to contend with now Europe is trying to influence what we do or perhaps do not if they get their way. The following link is from Ireland and can be read in conjunction with the article on the NFSA Conservation Committee under the News Section. This proposed allocation of RSA Quota from the overall quota is allegedly to counter a French problem where so called "peasant Fishers" are allowed to net without any regulation and sell what they net. DEFRA were caught off guard as this came out of the blue they have canvassed views of the RSA and Commercial sector. In the meantime Brussels has opened a right can of worms as can be seen from the link but Ireland is not alone Greece Cyprus, Italy, Slovenia and Malta have prompted there MEPs to raise protests at Strasburg. Whilst this is directed primarily at Charter boat and small boat Anglers if they start with them shore anglers may well be next. Socome on lads and lasses lets have some e-mails and tele calls to your locally MEP and tell them what we think of the proposals.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1216/fishing.html EU proposals for angling quotas
    Tuesday, 16 December 2008 14:01 The EU Commission has drawn up proposals to impose catching quotas on pleasure angling.

Because of falling stocks of fish, officials want to impose controls on sea and shore angling and to deduct these catches from the quotas of the commercial fishing industry.

The proposals could have a serious effect on tourist earnings from angling.

Sea anglers catch cod, pollack, ling, shark and other species, as do commercial fishermen and the EU officials want these considered in allocating quotas to each nation, so that they would be deducted from what commercial fishermen are allowed catch.
    While details of the proposals are still being examined by interests in the sea angling sector, they would have a negative effect on the Irish angling industry, which is a major tourism economic asset.

Shore angling which takes catches of sea fish would also be included in the EU proposals, but they will not be finalised in time to effect this week's negotiations.

Video:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1216/fishing_av.html?2463841,null,230

(see also: http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Political-News/Article_47.html )

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Sea Angling Under Attack again

Just to give a bit of insight into the implications of this.

Sea anglers would be put in the quota system with commercial fishermen. Looking at the current situation where the commercials have had no quota since the end of November for cod, this would mean us sea anglers would not be allowed to have fished for cod from the end of November.

Stuart Maybe you ought to phone the charter skippers and have a natter. The uptiding festival has just been quite a success.. It would likely be dead in the water under current proposals. I understand Malcolm Pitman is the new chair of wcsa

3. stuartmac

stuartmac New Member

Hi Glenn
    I passed details to John Whitton last week as I thought he was the sec so I am sure they have had them as John says we need to fight this tooth and nail. I deliberately left the implications off to see if anyone would identify the serious implications of this proposed regulation if it was implemented. You are right on the ball and what all anglers have got to realise is that this has even more serious implications than the rod licence. As you rightly point out it would mean no fishing for the quota species, in our case cod as soon as the quota was taken. Needless to say the commercials are not impressed with the proposal so at least we have agreed on something for once. I can only repeat my plea for everyone to contact their MEP and stress that this could kill local economies around the coast.

4. CBass

CBass New Member

Godfrey Bloom
    UK Independence
    Timothy Kirkhope
    Conservative
    * Diana Wallis
    Liberal Democrat
    * Linda McAvan
    Labour
    * Richard Corbett
    Labour
    * Edward McMillan-Scott
    Conservative

These are the MEP's for the whitby region

http://www.writetothem.com

You can go to the site above and put in your postcode for your region and write to all of them in one go. I think this one is rather important and the more noise we make at the earliest opportunity the better.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

WHY ?

Why is it when someone posts something about the future of our sport everyone runs for cover and thinks its nothing to do with them ??

Stuart Mac has posted something very concerning that could effect each and every one of us. If what Stuart has posted about had come around a year back then the following things would not have happened this month

All you guys would not have been able to fish the uptiding festival.

There would have been no match on Marine Drive last night.

Dav would not be the Saltburn club champion.

Danny would not have took third place in the Cloughton Open.

Noone would have completed the 50 cod challenge.

No one would have fished any opens this month

No one would have even been able to go fishing this month.

THIS IS VERY SERIOUS AND IT EFFECTS EVERY ONE OF YOU

The Eu are proposing to lump us all in with the commercial fishing sector. As the commercials are currently out of quota that would mean we will be out too. Those of you who have caught 1 fish, or just a couple all season - how do you feel about being banned until you get some more quota ??

THIS IS NOT A JOKE, ITS NOT A RUMOUR AND IN LITTLE OVER 12 MONTHS TIME WILL BE REALITY IF YOU DON'T GET OFF YOUR @RSES AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

This message also goes to the charter skippers who I know read and dont post. You will be the first to be effected. There are no ifs and buts about this. If it happens you will be in the clart. Who will want to buy your boats.

This is Stuarts topic - read it, comment and if your in fear of the future then bloody do something, before its too late.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/north-east-coast-fishing/sea-angling-under-attack-again/

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Re: WHY ?

i have just red that link and i am now worried, should i really be and if so what can i do???????????

i have been fishing for just over a year and love it, i am still after my first cod and i would be gutted if this came into play...

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

I am guilty of it to glen i must admit , the thing is with me when we start talking about quotas , eu , defra etc etc , im stuck and am politicaly iliterate I SHOULD`NT BE . all i know is what ever they do it wouldnt stop me fishing which for me is the most important thing ,
    I am very concerned tho about how it would effect the match scene which i am very concerned about as im just finishing brushing up on a few bad habits. :cheesy:
    .I mean how can we be effecting the fish stocks when there is bloody trawlers scooping everything up off our coasts , if they are that bothered about fish stocks why dont the stop them doing just that , im sure i will get flack off people saying that to , so thats why i dont bother going on about it no more.....
    For me they will do what they will do .....we have no say . you might say we do , but deep down you know we dont .....for instance rises in the fuel thw whole bloody country protested but it still went up at the time........Fking arsholes , hold my jacket ....outside now...... :angry:

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

As serious as the implications could be for charter skippers and the lads who go out one their boats, can you imagine people attemping to enforce this upon the common beach and rock angler though??

I studied a lot about fisheries management at uni and the whole thing with our government selling us out to the EU in the first place and thus causing our stocks to collapse was a complete travesty. This would be the final kick in the b*llocks for us, wouldn't it?

Found a petition to sign here:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/rsa-eu-proposal/

9. CBass

CBass New Member

I'm with Glenn on this one I think it is important that we hassle our MEP's now to shout that it's a sh*t idea.

How about a standard letter that we can all cut and paste into the writetothem site?

I'm sure we can come up with something suitably eloquent between us :yes:

There must be a big enough geographical spread and enough of us that we can hit a fair few MEP's with a good number of emails. Anyone got any ideas on points we can raise post below.

Even if you think it's scaremongering if we have a standard letter we can use it will take less effort than putting a post on here.

Sign the petition as well.

10. smokey

smokey Rockling

I couldn't agree more Glenn,it was the same when the RSA strategy came about last year.There was lots of people with big opinions but how many forum members actually turned up at the meeting with DEFRA that night,very few :cry: :sad: As it go's,looking at DEFRA'S response which was publicised a couple of weeks ago,the feelings and opinions of the people that did turn up had a big impact on DEFRA's decision. I will quote what Antony Hines said to me personally straight after the meeting "We honestly didn't expect this opposition from anglers around the country".By this he meant after listening to people all over the country telling him the same things,they were unaware of lots of facts and fishing practices.If no-one had turned up to these meetings,RSA would now be in place,as would a license fee,so you have people who took a few hours of their time to voice their opinions,to give you the right to fish unaffected to thank.If everybody buries their heads in the sand,you deserve what they throw at you and as usuall,the ones who are the first to moan are the ones who can't be bothered to get off their arses and step up to the plate ... now i'll get my coat.. tight lines :happy:

11. CBass

CBass New Member

As I said in a previous post about this, they wont need mass enforcement. How many "Sea Angler fined £1000" scare stories on forums and mags do you think it will take to put the majority of people off? Sure people will still fish but it will become like poaching or for those who can be bothered to fish however months of the year the quota is left.

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I am thinking along the same lines as Dav here, and yes I know I should do something, but what ??, what can you do against all this bull, it's the language EU, quotas, DEFRA, I'm not thick but it's typical Orwellian brain washing, designed to confuse but everyone with any nounce knows it is bollocks - am I going to be arrested for taking a mop whilst ferral gangs beat up pensioners for a few quid ?? I doubt my local MP can do anything against the immense tide of bullshite in Brussells - yes I am very concerned but feel quite helpless and powerless

13. Supersonic

If we're out of quota for cod, I dare say that as long as you haven't got any in your fish bag IF you were checked on, surely they'd have nothing on you. :confused:

I agree about the scare stories, but no warden is gonna check some of the marks people on here fish :scare: :laugh:

14. CBass

CBass New Member

Quint
    You may feel powerless but there are lots of us. MEP's are an elected official and every one of us is a potential voter we have power in numbers. As I said in the other thread, we must be able to come up with something between us. An email from every member of this forum would certainly have an impact.

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I have to agree too. I'm a relative newcomer to sea fishing but having got into it big style i now realise how much business is involved in it from the local tackle shops to online businesses, charter boats, clubs etc. It really is massive and if this goes through we will not only not be able to fish for large parts of the year, so many people will go out of business.

I for one have signed the petition and will be writing to my MEP

yes I feel powerless too but if we dont do anything it might be the end of our sport

lets encourage everyone to get involved and at least do the same!

16. ferret

ferret Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks for the link sea bass .have just sent my objections through to my local meps.i agree with you glenn we cant sit on our butts with this one.if you care and want to continue with your favourite pastime get on to this link and have your say.if we dont we could lose out permanently on our future codding!!!!

17. Supersonic

Sorry the last post wasn't as clear as I'd thought :embarrass: :laugh:

What I meant is that if we were out of cod quota, you could say that you were after something else and as long as you've got no Cod in your bag they surely couldn't do anything.

You'd just have to release any out of quota fish to fight another day, preferably when they're back in quota :happy:

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

SO WHAT DO WE / SHOULD WE DO ????

I'm guilty too of thinking it will never happen and anything I say/write or do will have no effect.

Do we march on Brussels (or is it Strasbourg) :embarrass: ???

Write a few poxy lines which will probably be ignored?????

Did we have some effect on not bring about the sea fishing licence? I'm not sure.

I'm certainly not thick but all this Defra/ EU etc I just cannot get my head around. Thanks for spelling it out Glenn :happy: . Does someone fancy putting a post together putting together what all these different groups and organisations actually do? Who they support? What there aims are as I'm sorry I really don't understand it. And whos that Leon guy and whats that all about :embarrass: .

I'M NOW OFF MY ARSE SO WHAT DO I DO ???

Ken

19. Supersonic

It's a shame we all feel so powerless :sad:

Fact is we've gotta do what little we can, because at least then we tried and 'what if?' will never come back haunt us.

I really f*cking detest the EU parliament and everything it does, this is a step too far.

20. CBass

CBass New Member

Anything that was non returnable would be a discard the same as it bothers us that the commercials do, deep hooked fish thrown back to bleed to death, no more cliff fishing. Charter fishing/ boat owners would be out of business and you can forget cheap tackle because the shops will shut after having no customers for x months of the year

Would you not rather it was the case that they managed the fish stocks properly in the first place rather than having to worry about legislating the negligible amount of fish we take out of the sea and wondering if the cod you deep hooked and decided to have for tea would get you a criminal record.

I should point out at this juncture that I take less than most, though not for sustainability reasons :laugh: :laugh: