1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esthwaite Kayak Grand Slam Match - AUGUST 10th & 11th

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Sambo, May 2, 2013.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Nice one mate, red tags it is then. Really can not wait for it

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Glad you are looking forward to it Mike, I know I am. I just need to get myself sorted for the actual running of the match then it's just a matter of checking the 500 lures I'll be taking!

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

This years Esthwaite Grand Slam is this weekend! Can't wait. I've got all the prizes ready, 1st prize is a brand new Galaxy Kayak! plus rod, lures and Pike flies. All set to be a great weekend :yes:

4. marshy

marshy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hope it all goes well for you Sam. Sorry I couldnt get there to support the match.

All the best

Jim

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

No worries Jim, bit of a drive up for you anyway! Will no doubt be seeing you soon anyway, we have some Yorkshire Pollock to catch at the end of the month :wink:

6. marshy

marshy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

roger that

7. bucko

bucko New Member

So how did 'Team KFC' get on?? ;)

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Now bud, Team KFC did ok (the boneless Box was very tasty :hungry: )

Forgot to put a report up on here the other day, here it is.

We all had yet another lovely weekend at Esthwaite, unfortunately due to the hot summer we've had the oxygen levels were low so the fishing was hardwork, that said we all had a great weekend and fish were caught. As usual at these events everyone was just enjoying being out fishing and having a good laugh :happy:

Big thank you to everyone that managed to attend, it's a difficult time of year for people to make it to matches with holidays and what not. Next year I'll be holding it earlier in the year when the water is cooler with better fishing.

Here's a few photos I took over the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did get some rain on day 2, at least someone got to use his unhooking mat!

[​IMG]

Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Nop, just a northern smoggy :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My largest Perch of the weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The prize winners :cool:

[​IMG]

Well done to local angler 'Mike T' on the win :cool:

Big thank you to everyone that supported the event, Galaxy Kayaks who provided a Cruz Kayak as 1st prize, also a few retailers including Al & Michelle at the Kayak Fishing Shack, Fiona at 1st Wet & Wild and my local tackle shop Keith's Sports in Saltburn. Thanks guys.

9. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

:cheesy: Cheers Sam, still chuffed and can't believe I won, was a good laugh enjoyed the weekend.

Was ad news from the off with the guy running the place giving the bad news "you will struggle with the trout and pike, but the perch should be easy enough". I was down two hours earlier than everyone else watching the water and the trout rising so thinking to myself struggle with trout? They are all over, he certainly was not wrong.

[​IMG]

An area I was watching the trout and fancied but knowing nothing of the lake I took some sound advice off Sam and the guy running the fishery, this is the area I headed out to. Drifting slowly as there was very little wind, lobbing out a fire tiger replicant letting it sink a while then a steady retrieve. I think it was only my fourth cast and as I lifted the lure up to the surface next to the yak a set of toothy jaws appeared and the lure was gone. A nice little scrap and me looking worried how do I measure this thing while its going nuts and take a photo, looking up I see Sam on his way over, pic done a nice 24" pike within the first few cast, I was thinking to myself this is going to be a good session.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I flogged the area to death going through the lure boxes and nothing so I opted to move closer to the shore and a big reed bed and Lilly bed. As I got close I opted for the six shooter and a spinner bait flicking it tight to the reefs then the Lilly bed, as soon as it dropped just off the pads a bow wave followed by a splash and a fish was on feeling like another jack, and as soon as it was on it was gone, I was gutted but felt I would have more chances, I was wrong. Until after the match. I fished hard but could not buy a bite from the trout or the perch but was happy to be there and enjoying my fishing on. Water with such a good rep rotation of big pike.

[​IMG]

A nice area where the water was wick with small fry but no sign of anything bigger
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second day crack of dawn while everyone else slept
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeing an Osprey on many occasions it is up there I promise but my camera was not good enough to capture it
    [​IMG]

I still can not believe I took first, a great two days and very well run. Good crack on Saturday night lake side. It was the first time I have used the yak in fresh water but certainly will not be the last.

Cheers Mike

[​IMG]

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice photos and report Mike, again well done on the win. Funny thing is the fishing was hardwork but I enjoyed every minute of it, love fishing Esthwaite and there is always good banter :yes: