1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esthwaite Kayak Grand Slam Match - AUGUST 10th & 11th

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Sambo, May 2, 2013.

1. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

DATE CHANGE - AUGUST 10th & 11th

Hi everyone,

As I'm sure most of you are aware by now that unfortunately the kayak grand slam event at Esthwaite Water was cancelled, I felt it was a shame to loose this event so I've decided to take it on myself. Though I help organise a few of the North Yorkshire sea kayak matches this is my first organised by myself so please bear with me!

I'll do my best to keep everything as simple as possible with the main aim that everyone has a nice chilled out weekend fishing one of the nicest waters we can kayak fish in the UK.

I appreciate it's relatively short notice for this event but I've only just decided to take on the event and I'm trying to avoid the sea fishing events. Andrew Hoyle has kindly allowed me to steal some of his ideas from the previous planned event.

Right then, the match details:

August 10 & 11th

The match will be spread over two days, match briefing will be held at 10am at Esthwaite's shop on ther Saturday.

Match starts 11am Saturday with fishing til dusk (no night fishing)

Match will continue from dawn on Sunday. Match will end at 4pm with catch reports handed in by 5pm(ish).

Entry fee/Permit will remain the same at £50 per person covering you for the two day event. Pay on the Saturday when you arrive before the match briefing.

Once the prize presentation is finished anyone that wishes to stay and fish till dust is welcome to (might as well get your monies worth!)

FREE camping is available by the lake at the car park area 100yds from the office though if possible please put the tents up as late as you can and bring them down as early as you can on the sunday (don't want the general public thinking it's a campsite). I appreciate it's a slight pain but small price to pay for free camping. An idea would for anyone fishing at sunrise sunday would be fish for a few hours then pop back to shore and 7am ish for a spot of breakfast and take the tent down then :)

MATCH RULES

I prefer not to have lots of rules but we do need to have a few but I'll try and keep them simple. Most of it is just commonsense anyway.

1/ Lures and Flies only

2/ No trolling

3/ You can have as many rods as you like setup but can only use one rod at any one time.

4/ 2 hook limit (trebles count as one hook)

5/ Please make sure you have the proper unhooking tools (forceps, pliers and if possible an unhooking mat)

6/ Must have a photo of your catches otherwise your catches can't be accepted :'( Photographes of fish must have a clear view of the nose to tail on the measure, just avoids problems at the end of the day and could make the difference of winning a prize!

7/ Someone that gets the full grand slam (Pike, Perch & Trout) will win even if the combine length is smaller than say a Pike and a Trout.

Everything else is just commonsense, such as please help if another competitor requires assitance is photographing/weighing fish. Fish welfare is paramount. That sort of thing. We've had a few of these matches under our belts now so you know what to do :)

PRIZES

Due to the short notice the prizelist is very small, at the moment there will be a few prizes consisting of lures, flies and anything else that gets donated between now and the match weekend. Better off treating this as a friendly, chilled out kayak fishing meet. Should be plenty of banter and hopefully lots of fish!

A few photos from last year's event:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope I haven't missed anything out.

Look forward to see you all there!

Thanks,
    Sam

2. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Re: Esthwaite Kayak Grand Slam Match - MAY 25th & 26th

Good on ya Sam, good to hear you decided to take it on. I would love to do it but I'm ment to be fitting our new kitchen. I will see if I can get a pass

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Be good if you can make it Mike, I don't think we'll have a big turnout at all but the fishing should be excellent. Pike & Perch won't of seen a lure for months and the Trout will be very active. Your kitchen can wait bud :cheesy:

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Well done on taking it on Sam. Gutted that I can't make it :'(

Sent from my GT-i9300 using Tapatalk 2

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Right guys, I've been thinking about this today and seeing how the bulk of the response I've received indicates most can't make it at this short notice I've decided to put the match back to August. This way everyone knows well in advance and the fishing will still be excellent.

Sorry for the date change but if it means we get a much better turnout then it's worth it.

Thanks,
    Sam

6. mike_t

Nice one Sam, more chance I will be able to make it in August. If there is anything you need a hand with just give me a shout

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one, cheers Mike :happy: At the moment everything is sorted, I'm trying my best to keep things simple so I avoid getting stressed :hurt: If it gets to much I'll pass it all on to you :cheesy:

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great news. pretty sure I'l be there, plus will help out in any way I can mate

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Looking at the sunrise/sunset times for that weekend, if you are really keen your match will be just over 21hrs long! More of an endurance match! I suspect everyone will be having a few pitstops/breaks throughout the match :happy:

Well the prize table has got rolling with the nice people at the Kayak Fishing Shack kindly offering to send over some Yo-Zuri lures, not bad considering I didn't even ask! Thanks guys :cool: :cheesy:

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Prizes have starting coming in for the Esthwaite match, Kayak Fishing Shack kindly sent over a few nice lures and kayak stickers (which are very much appreciated) :cool:

[​IMG]

Thank Al, top man :cool: :yes:

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent news!! Galaxy Kayaks http://www.galaxykayaks.co.uk/ have kindly donated a new for 2013 Galaxy Kayaks Cruz Fishing Kayak for the top prize at this year's Esthwaite Grand Slam Kayak Match! The super stealthy 'Desert Storm Camo' kayak is perfect for freshwater kayak fishing and makes a great 1st prize for this match. A BIG thank you to Galaxy Kayaks for their support!

All the credit must go to Phil Roberts (Philpot) for sorting this, thanks very much Phil. The kayak plus the other prizes we have lined up it looks like we'll have a nice little prize table :happy: :yes:

[​IMG]

12. mike_t

Excellent news Sam, I am really looking forward to this, be treating myself to a new lure rod as I snapped my last one
    Dust all my pike lures off too. Is there minimum isize limits for the lures??

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

No min limit Mike :happy:

14. mike_t

Alright Sam, I got the nod to come, the family all coming too, not fishing, but just looking if there is any campsites you know of near by.

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Mike :happy:

Nearest campsites are at Hawkshead which is just under 2 mile away.

http://www.hawkshead-croft.com/

http://www.hawksheadhall-campsite.com/?Hawkshead_Hall_Camp_Site (looks to be the cheaper of the two)

Well located as Ambleside isn't far away.

Other than that there is a campsite at Coniston

16. mike_t

Which site are you stopping on Sam??

Got work sorted so I am off just going to book up

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Now Mike,

I'll be staying at the free camping by the lake :happy: I would of suggested the same if your family weren't joining you but I think they would prefer a proper campsite :yes: The Hawkshead sites are less than 2 miles down the road which isn't bad bud.

18. mike_t

Not long now, group of us going to The Croft, I will kip lake side with you boys Saturday night.
    Is it stocked with trout or are they wildies, be tying a load of flies up one evening.

Really looking forward to it

19. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Not 100% sure tbh Mike, I know they stocked some Brownies last year though not sure about this year. I expect they do as there is a 4 bag limit. Look forward to seeing you there, set to be a top weekend.

Keith's Sports in Saltburn by the Sea have kindly donated a Leeda spinning rod as a prize for the Esthwaite Kayak Grand Slam :) Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

[​IMG]

Not long now, 2 weeks this Saturday! :cheesy:

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

It's stocked with brownies , in fact it was stocked last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2