1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esthwaite Grand Slam Report

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Sambo, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Yesterday Myself, Matty and Scotty headed to Cumbria for the annual Esthwaite Grand Slam kayak match. The day started at 4.50am :surprise: then off to pick Scotty up for the 120 mile trip, arrived at Esthwaite for 8.15am with matty already there waiting. We arrived to the lake being like a mill pond, lovely and calm with a few Trout topping. Really is a stunning place:

[​IMG]

Match was from 10am-5am and with a shotgun start we were off, we knew fishing was going to be hard work as the lake hadn't been doing much over the last few weeks but when fishing in such nice surroundings you really can't complain about the fishing. Got to say we all fished hard, I tried all my favourite spots but no sign of Pike at all. One or two Trout were coming out so I guess a switch to Trout fishing was in order. I paddled over to a shallow bay which I hoped would produce a Trout and it wasn't to long before I was into a fish.

A short but spirited fight later and this lovely wee Trout graced the net:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately despite my best efforts that was the only fish I had but it was enough to win me a little prize, a little success for Team 1st Wet & Wild :cheesy:

[​IMG]

Everyone really struggled yesterday but a few had some success, match was won with a Pike & Trout, second place Perch & Trout and 3rd with a nice Trout. A big thank you to Andrew for organise such a great match and thank you to everyone for the great banter, twas a good laugh. Shame Ken & Fiona couldn't make it but Ken put his back out :hurt:

A few more photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

cracking report and pics mate. that camera has got some serious zoom on it :whistle:

twas a tough day but nice to be out in such amazing surroundings. topped off by a KFC boneless banquet on the way home :yes:

3. andym

andym Rockling

Well done Sam :yes: :yes: :yes: I would of expected you to throw such a prize winning fish back though :whistle: :whistle: youve changed lol :cheesy:

4. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Excellent pics, looked gorgeous out there, wish I was there

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Looks like a cracking day out lads.
    I forgot that its brown trout only there now- I bet that will pay dividends in future years with some real clonkers getting fat on the perch fry.

6. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Any ideas on the number of pike caught fellas, I'm fishing on the 27th with the pike anglers club fished it twice before, but blanked on both occasions :angry: :angry:

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Not many Pike showing at all bud, I tried pretty much all day without a knock. One jack was caught 10ft down in 35ft of water so perhaps they are higher up the water column at the mo.

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

You must be fishing on your own are you Mat,Wayne said he's going on the 28th :evil: :evil: :evil:

9. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Cheers Andy you could of had a quiet word :ugly: :ugly: