1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essential Clothing And Other Items For Winter Rock Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Winter Cod Fishing - A List Of Useful Topics Here.

One for the newbies out there as Im beginning to realise some of you guys arent really fully kitted out for life on the rocks. Can our more experienced members offer some guidance on what Items of clothing and other things would be considered essential for winter rock fishing.

I will start with studded waders, preferably chest waders (neoprene, breathable or rubber) and a bloody good headlight. Some would say go for breathables and boots for the added ankle support.

Heres a pic of the general attire of the local rock angler. red overalls are a must for Kilpatrick's

[​IMG]

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ll second the support in wading boots. With the problems I now have with my ankle after bustin it I end up in a lot of pain when using oceans etc. Doc has told me its due to the strain on the areas that aid balance and support being damaged and weak,. But in wading boots I have no problems even after a full day rockhopping....... So wading boots get my vote.

Another impirtant bit of kit is a good rucksack that sits right and evenly distributes the weight. I use an Imax 55 l rucksack but I ve removed the shoulder yolk before fitting an alloy rucksack frame then refitting the shoulder harness. That way the drame stops the bag sagging but I get the confort of the padded harness. Also the frame acts as a rod stand when on cliff marks and gives various poinrs to firmly attach rod to when descending ropes. Search eBay for karrimor framed rucksacks, I picked an as New one up for £13 and ditched the bag :)

Hands free to enable good use of rope access, seen a lad couple of weeks ago slide down roll up on his backside because he couldn t hold the ropes! Looked like a recipe for a disaster, yet a little prep he could have come down with his hands on the ropes and his feet firmly planted....... Even small get downs like cloughton you wouldn t want fall off!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

3. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

thermal base layer, balaclava and hat. i bought some seal skins socks and gloves theyre great. its essential to keep warm when fishing.

i have breathables and some vass studded wellies this year.

travel as light as possible i take a dozen leads each session, pre-tied rigs, a bait bucket n flask. tripod is optional but comes in handy on the scaur good headlamp and spare with spare batteries

4. MR_CHAD

MR_CHAD Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great bit of info Guys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

6. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I use breathable waders with a decent pair of boots gives plenty of support, a decent pair of thermals and few layers. I have a powerful headlamp and an led spare and spare batteries. You may have enough power for your session but chance of braking your lamp.
    Let someone know where your going and when your going to be back and what t do if you don't return.

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

It's quite common to slip and damage the tip ring on your rod, or catch it as you climb up and down cliffs, so I always carry 2 spares with a lighter and glue in a sealed tub - I got caught out in a big match a while ago, never again

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

A good rock climbing helmet too is essential, particular if your anywhere near them clowns in the Whitby Bass Club

9. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Don't think it has been mentioned, fully charged mobile phone. When fishing alone have my normal phone and a cheap £20 job double sealed in plastic bags in my rucksack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

10. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Always carry my phone in waterproof case, from bettaware for a few quid. Well worth having

11. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

saw a guy with a ex army poncho ,
    i was in full waterproof gear but wind and rain find ways in and ended up wet ,the guy with the poncho just pulled it from his bag ,unwrapped it and stuck it over his head ,press studs down the sides let him get his arms out ,he was a lot dryer than i was he just put his back to the wind and rain and that was it,
    neverless to say i tracked one down from an army surplus in leeds and it will be in my bag as it weighs nowt ,will still wear my waterproof gear but if the rain gets bad the poncho will be coming out. just make sure you get a ripstop one not the pound shop variety.

frank.

12. bow1

bow1 Rockling

all vety relevant remarks.

not essential yet but in a few weeks.id recimmend fingerless neoprene gloves.hands and gloves can be soaking but warm and toasty

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

13. TonyC

TonyC New Member

I use a 30 litre waterproof back pack by " Overboard" really good, might try and fit to a frame now after reading the other posts.

14. Baramundi Bob

15. Baramundi Bob

8)

Whats the Issue with the Algies this time ?

16. Baramundi Bob

Theres been a couple of times I wished Id done that. Not a bad idea at all. Once the fishing was thick and fast at goldsborough. Tip ring went. Game over.

17. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I just tryed my new breatherble s out other day very very impressed. ..... only problem is felt soled on the boots :-/ I slipped twice on weed they werent my first choice of boot but come with the waders I found them fine on the rocks....... can anyone recommend the best studs to get and also the best wat to apply them to felt soles ??? If not which wading boot for thr money ??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

18. Baramundi Bob

get wading boots Perry. People are wearing those Vass wellies with stoods and drilling holes in the bottom to let water out. Screw in stoods in my opinion are almost as deadly as felt soles.

19. Baramundi Bob

Anyone reading this should note the importance of studs for shore fishing. If you wear normal soles your gonna be on your ar$e all night which could end in a serious injury, cracked ribs, broken arms etc.

20. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

very true what glenns saying as I slipped in the bloody daylight twice luckly just a bit of bruised pride and no breakages cheers for advice glen lawsey did mention that to me before shall look into some.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2