1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esk Hydro- A Potential Threat To Esk Migratories?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

My local river has four massive screws so that canoesists can train for the 2012 olympics.
    They are very noisey when in operation will the Esk Hydro turbines be of a similar design when in place?

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

One of the link vids shows a mini hydro which doesnt look good at all , its alot small in diameter than the barrage ones , thats if you can call them the same thing , if salmon are suposed to run up the screws god knows how they are suposed to fo it without damage , the distance between the fins is nothing , them hydro ones look abit worse . i

3. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Esk is stocked with fry from Esk salmon and is slowly recovering from the bad old days, the last 3 dry summers have not helped.There some cormerant cull licences on the Esk and some people are infact trying to help the Esk. If you can help in any way please do PM me.
    This Hydro scheme could be a nail in the coffin

4. bucko

bucko New Member

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

From what i have seen ever since this thread was put up i cant see the power companys doing a u-turn . From what i see of these Fish Friendly Turbines,there words not mine we are loseing far more Bass ,sea-trout,salmon ect to the ever increasing seal populution around our coasts and esturies.
    The same argument is happening with Wind Farms and the giant windmills ,with people saying migrateing birds are under threat from the turbines blades.
    Alternative energy has to come from somewhere and so does jobs and investment. a few fish lost in a turbine wont change their minds.

6. bucko

bucko New Member

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Peter, the turbines haven't been built yet.
    I think the worry is more that they will discourage fish to run rather than mangle them- fish tend to shy away from noise and vibration.
    As for the job creation- it looks to me like only a handful of firms will undertake the construction of such projects so the long term job creation will be a total of zero.
    But please lets not turn this into a seal thread- that is a completely different issue- though it might not be when the turbine makes Esk fish hang about in the estuary.

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

Alternative Energy? :laugh: :laugh: Its loons who fall for such words is one reason why these turbines get built in the first place. As far as i'm concerned energy is just energy, no matter how its produced. That's why we should be using commonsense, and build a few nuclear power stations.

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Looks like your doomed Lads, give em an inch and they will take the river :yes:
    as was pointed out earlier,

look at all the wind turbines on our horizons , you cant travel more than a couple of miles without seeing them ,

what a blot on the landscape :ugly:

and the river turbines will be no different , cewing up your precious salmon and sea trout,
    allso the course fish :angry:

10. GARP

GARP Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've just sat and read this whole thread, very sad indeed, as a boy I remember fishing the free Estuary stretch of the River Naver on the North Coast of Scotland and being awestruck by the sheer numbers of Salmon and the shoals of Sea trout moving upstream. That was nearly 30 years ago and the decline in fish stocks was well underway.

With the combined effects of disease, high seas overfishing, migratory obstacles, abstraction, acid rain, redds destruction and now these crack-pot green energy schemes I fear the poor fish are doomed.

The most astounding facts to me are the low yields of energy involved, common sense alone tells me they are unlikely to recover their initial build costs for a very long time. In the meantime god knows what damage is done to the fragile river ecology.

When will we ever learn to leave alone, as far as fighting it I fear we would be wasting our energy since the whole thing smacks of political collusion

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We found out that the salmon travelled to Greenland to feed so we followed them and scooped them up still doing it.
    They put motors on boats about 100 years ago thats where the Cod stocks went.
    Man needs feeding and the foods running out .
    And i am not a scientists i read all about this from books from my local libray.
    We had coal , jobs and comunities until maggie thatcher got into power,now her kids are takeing over and they are giveing is wind power,tidal power,hydro power,ect ,ect.
    If you seriously want to do something aboit it i suggest you start writeing to MPs and the media.

12. bucko

bucko New Member

Plenty of truths there Garp- thanks for replying.

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I wish i could travel back in time to the days when we had watermills on Billingam Beck ect and Windmills powering the flour mills where their was no stream I would have loved to have heared the local gossip in the Ale House and the effects these mills were haveing on the fish in the streams.
    Let There Be Light and look what we have :laugh:.

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Who would buy shares in a scheme that is openly known to be an experiment ("Test bed case") and one where those backing the scheme know that the risk of detriment to stocks has been OFFICIALLY judged as 'Medium to high'???

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Have a look at 6.2 on this document.
    http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/uploads/publication/11890.pdf

An experiment for sure- green credentials my backside!

And the document stating that the risk of an adverse impact on fish behaviour is medium to high

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/uploads/publication/12375.pdf

16. bucko

bucko New Member

17. lochbois

lochbois Guest

From what i am reading about this potential disaster on the Esk i seems as though the E/A is sitting back and letting this happen .
    Let the subject drop and nothing will get done.
    I will say it again, more of us have got to get our conservation heads on if we are going to save our north east rivers.
    You have got to start lobbying the MPs , E/A ect.
    Whitby or should i say Scarbrough council cant look after the Piers and Harbour so i cant see them bothering to look after this hydro scheme and privite componies just want to look after the share holders.Looks like you have got a fight on your hands Bucko . :scare:

18. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Take a look at the whiby Gazzete there is a good letter in it about the BAD scheme.
    Good to see people being active about this

19. bucko

bucko New Member

I had a look at the site today- what a mess they have made.
    Some VERY old trees have been chopped down- it looks like a bombsite and the fish pass looks very exposed.

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

You have the chance to get your comments and thoughts on this Esk Hydro system and the affect it will have on our already endangered fishes in the Whitby Gazette.
    We need to get our thoughts out to the general public .
    The East and West Pier were discussed in the Whitby Gazette and it seems like something is eventually happening with their repairs.
    Say nothing and we will just lose everything.