1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esk Hydro- A Potential Threat To Esk Migratories?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Feb 19, 2012.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

If you'd read the links you would see that its already happening- and not just on Esk.
    The EA seem unable to object due to their obligations and with the likes of the National Park and local councils backing such projects to meet 'green targets' I feel 'campaigning' would be futile.

"More Esk fisherman'- thats a joke, there's probably less than 100 rods who fish it regularly every year.

As for the Kielder stocking not working- you need to get your facts from elsewhere. The salmon run isn't too shoddy at all- however the sea trout run is certainly in decline.

2. coasty

coasty New Member

3. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Couldn't agree more with your post Bucko.

The more i see what is happening with regards to applications for this green eco Archimedes screws, the more i think it's just a scam. There are applications for these to be fitted on just about every weir-dam on every river, the companies concerned get X amount of thousands of pounds of the government just to do a feasibility study to see if it's worth fitting one to said location.
    Makes you wonder if they really want to actually fit these contraptions or just collect the money for looking into it and ticking the green eco boxes to satisfy the European government.

4. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Less than a hundred regular rods.
    How many rods fish in the free streches?.
    I wonder how many poachers fish the Esk regularly.
    The ones i talk to seem to find the fish, and tell me that Danby FC Waters are affordable.
    Does anyone know if they have a full membership?

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Had to edit this as it feels you are trying to discredit this thread.
    Yes, about a hundred REGULAR rods I reckon.
    Who are these Esk anglers you know?
    Tell us their names- some of us will probably know them.
    And if they are poachers, don't tell us tell the EA and we can get this thread back on track as it was going so well.
    As for Danby- if they knew anything about the club they'd know it doesn't run with a specific membership number.

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Tell you what Bucko, it dont look good :surprise: just checked some of the links again,
    26000 sites looked at in england and wales,

with 5000 at a high probability of being developed ,
    now i aint no maths expert , but surely that must be most of the rivers in the bloody country, :suspious:

me thinks your all doomed to just take it on the chin :wounded:

7. bucko

bucko New Member

You are spot on Harry- its the biggest threat to the nations rivers I've seen in my lifetime.
    And that, as you rightly point out is because there really seems to be nothing we can do about it.
    These 'green' organisations can ride roughshod over the river users, the EA and anyone else that objects.
    They know every loophole, they know all the legislation and they certainly know how to use them.
    Have you seen the 'artists impression' of the proposed installation at Ruswarp? What an eyesore!
    Its interesting to note that the 'team' behind the Esk project could all benefit from it financially due to their professions.
    Saving the planet at cost to the river and profit to them.

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Not seen any artist impresions is there a link.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

http://www.whitbyeskenergy.org.uk/

Look at the image at the top- it changes in a kind of 'Before and after' way.

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Seems like everything is signed and delivered with this Esk Hydro System well on the way.
    Are you or any other esk fishers going to try and get this alternative energy scource stopped ?. Maybe you should ask the angling trust to help you in your fight .
    I joined the angling trust so that i could talk about what the affects four similar screws to your one Esk screw would have on migratory fish on my local river.
    At the time of writeing the screws are not even working yet again so hopefully any spring fish on my local river wont be injured.
    Seems to me that they are improveing these turbines when they talk about fish friendly screws.
    Hartlepool Power Station used to have a filter bed and my friend used to find Bass ,Salmon,Sea-Trout,ect when the filter beds were cleared.Sadly my friend is no longer with us, else he may have been of help you on the affects of turbines on migratory fish.

11. bucko

bucko New Member

Peter- read back through everything on this thread and you'll see that a) This is a national plan, not just for Esk and b) Angling Trust are already involved on a national basis.
    Still waiting to hear who these Esk anglers/poachers you know that 'Seem to find the fish' are :whistle:

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Hello Bucko, I first fished the Yorkshire Esk as a school boy and the river had U.D.N very badly. I ve never seen anything like it since.
    I then had a Free ticket to fish Danby waters for ten years because i worked with Mr Thompson the farmer from Longnewton who,s land had the course fishing lakes at Elton near the Sutton Arms. In ten years i must have used the ticket half a dozen times.
    I then worked with a lad whos farm is at Danby in Eskdale he used to comeinto work every day telling me stories about the poaching in the Esk and its smaller becks.
    The last story i heard was about heavy catches of coloured fish .
    The club baliff i fish with on the Wear has told me that i need to report any poaching on rivers when it is happening so that the E/A baliffs can get the evidence to get a prosicution.If you get a petition for the removel of the Esk Hydro system i will sign.And with the links on twitter and facebook i would think i will get more than the 300+ i got for the A.C.A now the Angling trust campaign had on my local river.

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Not proposing Dan- Happening it seems!

15. lochbois

lochbois Guest

My friend who has followed the thread with intrest thinks that we should invest our moneis into the Hydro System because when the other Barrage is built on the Esk and the people with their small boats move into the marina Whitby could be like Hartlepool just up North.
    That could be why the East Pier is now closed tthe public, one never knows.

16. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

the east pier isnt currently closed. they are putting in storm gates as a temporary measure during stormy conditions

17. bucko

bucko New Member

Fair enough Peter- buy some shares then.
    And the 'other barrage' isn't happening so just send a cheque to me- payable to "Bucko's Rockstar Lifestyle Fund".
    Minimum donation £500.

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I see what you meen, not a pretty sight is it , :ugly:

19. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

So if Esk Valley want green energy, what would be the best opinion? hydro schemes that doesn't seem best for fish, wind turbines but people wouldn't appreciate looking at them? probably best to get the old coal mines up and running again :cheesy:

20. bucko

bucko New Member

Its a tough one Sam- But these schemes do seem to discourage migrating fish.
    I would like to know how many Ruswarp/Sleights/Whitby people have bought shares in this scheme to get a better idea of local opinion.
    Secondly, why aren't the reservoirs originally built for industry top of the list for hydro schemes?