1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esk Hydro- A Potential Threat To Esk Migratories?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Feb 19, 2012.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

I must admit- When I hear of changes to what is a fragile river environment it gives me concerns about what effects it may have on its fish stocks.
    Having read of adverse effects on fish stocks on rivers where hydro schemes have been installed this really does worry me (and I gather those that own fishing share these concerns).
    Will Esk's increasingly at risk salmon and sea trout stocks be affected by it?
    http://www.eskvalleyenergy.org.uk/

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Astounding silence here- and I thought there a few with plenty to say about this river :sad:

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ian surely if they had any brain cells in there heads they would of looked into all this . Altho you would think they would of looked into the effects of installing the barrage aswell . but didnt . :yes:

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well , we have all herd of what has ,and is happening to the stocks of tees fish,
    maybee if you all sing from the same hymn sheet you can have an influence on things :suspious:

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

What do you mean Harry ?

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well Dav, i have seen some topics on the freshwater section break out into a slanging match,
    when some one doesn,t agree with some one ellse,

come to think of it it happens in the sea section as well, :laugh:
    but realy i wish you lads all the best in your efforts to get the best result for all :yes:

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ar i see were your coming from Harry , i maybe shouldnt of mentioned " the tees barrage " Ooops there i go again lol. :cheesy: i was just using that as a example . :yes:
    So lochbois no more barrage in this topic :laugh: :laugh:
    Thanks Harry
    Have you been doing much like harry ?

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Not much at all Dav, just waiting for the summer visit to Arbroath mate then my bassing up the mull,

aaahhhhh bring on the sun :cool:

10. bucko

bucko New Member

But we haven't really have we- I haven't seen any stats published that can determine if its seal predation, downstream migration, poaching, pollution or other factors that have led to 'poor runs'.
    As for singing from the 'same hymn sheet'- I'm sure we all want the same things but to try and force the same things down peoples throats time after time with no evidence or data to back it up simply makes it look laughable and people will ignore it.
    With regard to the 'slanging matches'- It doesn't take Columbo to see that the more heated topics involved p**ching and the dreaded 'TB'.

Anyway- have a read of this for starters:
    http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=496&sectionTitle=Fight+the+Hydropower!

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah its only around the corner now harry , cant wait till its on us proper .
    Thats bad crack that like ian . shocking infact . :surprise:

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Just read the report regarding TB by cefas, from your link,
    seems there is a lot to blame the TB for . :yes:

lets hope you can stop the same thing happening in the Esk, :sad:

13. bucko

bucko New Member

I'm not sure whether tagging fish is the most accurate way to come to a conclusion- Read back through this forum and you'll find a post about fish that were stunned, tagged then lifted over Sleights Weir previous to there being a fish pass.
    A lot of them turned up in Whitby Harbour dead or in poor shape.

So, while I'm not knocking those trying to find solutions- putting fish that have had their health and agility impaired into a 'hornets nest' of seals isn't the most exact science in my opinion.

Getting back to the issue of Hydro my concerns are with regard to downstream migration of smolts and the fact that the whole hydro issue is seen to be 100% positive.
    It may be in some places but I see this as being the thin end of the wedge where it will end up being placed in areas where it can be of detriment to fish stocks.

Also, to be frank- I hate weirs! The Victorians have a lot to answer for in their quests for manicured banks and boating areas so I think we should be getting rid of them rather than finding alternate uses for them.

14. rupert

rupert Blenny

I had no idea these Archimedes Screws damaged fish like this.

I have been looking at data relating to a similar scheme, just down the road from me at Howsham Mill, on the middle reaches of the River Derwent.

The report indicates no damage to fish caused by passage through the screw. It also is a bit of an eye opener as to species which have been caught at the outflow to the screw.

Have a read here; http://www.fishtek.co.uk/files/report4.pdf

I was prepared to sit on the fence, until I saw pictures of those mutilated perch. Looks like I’ll have to get off it and be much more prepared to question the potential damage these things cause from now on.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Ian.

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

I remember when i read the proposals to the Tees Barrage, there was lots of talk about migratory fish protection, but in the end it was just a smoke screen as they had one intent, and that was to build the barrage and slalom at all costs.

16. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Hydro scheme on the Esk MUST BE A BAD thing, it will never be cost effective or even green.
    It has already been proven in Sweden where now they are taking them all out.
    Also the National Parks are the biggest stake holder yet are the people who are ment to be looking after the Esk.
    It also has been established that the Hydro,s damage fish and stop fish running up stream
    Where is there any sence in it?

17. bucko

bucko New Member

While on a very different river system from Esk, this is an interesting film.
    http://waterfeature1.blogspot.com/p/films.html

Couldn't agree more Chris- there are some crackpot ideas in the valley of late.
    Thank God the 'Harbour Weir' seems to have been shelved too (Ridiculous an idea as it was).

I see that 'Fishtek' were also involved in the controversial Dart and Dove schemes.

http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.com/2011/10/where-fish-are.html

http://www.bakewellgreen.co.uk/news.html

The scale of this problem is massive, with potentially every river being damaged by it.
    And, if I'm honest- the fact surveys were commissioned for Castleton Mill, Danby Mill, Sleights Weir, Ruswarp Weir, Egton Bridge Weir and Thomason Foss leads me to think that once one is in place the floodgates (if you'll pardon the pun) are open for several of these damaging projects throughout the system.

More interesting reading here:

http://www.salmon-trout.org/hydropower_fish_passage.asp

18. bucko

bucko New Member

I have just done a bit of searching and found these quotes from Colin Mather, the Chairman of Esk Energy.
    Just my opinion of course but it sounds like they had the EA over a barrel!!! :scared:

"At a more local level," Colin continues, "the Environment Agency people again were not cooperative. But when we reminded them that, in fact, it is part of the brief of the Agency to support hydropower they changed their tune too, especially since we were able to reassure the that we were not harming fish."

The turbine is situated next to the fish pass because fish swimming upstream automatically look for the fastest flow, and this is also where one wants to situate the turbine.

“We also had to negotiate hard to extract as much water as we could. We will be using 4m³ per second. The Environment Agency wanted to use less water, but we said 'you have more than the minimum amount of flow you need for the fish, why not let us have more?' and eventually they saw sense in our argument."

19. rupert

rupert Blenny

The thing is about a lot of these 'green' projects is the greenest thing about them is the attitude of the general public who haven't considered the true impact these things have.

For example the full scale 200 - 220m high wind turbines take the equivalent of 8 years of their energy production, just to meet the energy costs in manufacturing them. If there were no Feed in Tarrifs (FITS), or Renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCS) i.e subsidies, these things wouldn't, or couldn't be built, as they are simply not commercially viable without this subsidy. Some farmers and landowners are keen to have them on their land, as they yield rents of around £25,000 per turbine per annum, plus the developer gets their share of subsidy and power generation on top.

And who pays that subsidy? Every one of us. The power companies increase their tariff to us, so they have money to pay back into these Government 'green' schemes. That's one of the reasons all our utility bills have escalated in recent times.

I'm all for supporting the ethos of green energy, but when you start to look deeper into the financials of these wind or water power generators, plus the negative impact on wild and waterlife, it all looks anything but green.

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The Esk Hydro power hasnt been built yet .
    From what i see on forums and in the media the Yorkshire Esk is a shadow of its former days even though it is being stocked with Keilder fish.
    Water abstraction ,farming methods, seal predation at sea, cormorants,nets .
    Why dont more Esk fishermen campaign about them.
    I campaigned on my local river ,you wont hear me mention it on this thread.
    I have gone back to writeing to the people in power by pen and paper like i did for eight years. Its simply not worth the hassle that i have had in the three years i have been on line. :hurt:.Now i am :happy: to leave it to the expert.