1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Esk Characters'

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jan 15, 2010.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Agree 100% Ian and apologies if you got the impression I was trying to glorify snatching, that was far from my intent.

Not saying I would change anything in my past either though but nowadays I get far more pleasure from legitimate means of angling rather than using monofilament mesh, and I also get a great deal of pleasure from just glimpsing these magnificent migratory fish on their journeys upriver.
    I do take offence to the money men though. The ones on the big estates that look down their noses at local anglers and decide we are not allowed on their beats because we are too common.
    It is my opinion that anyone prepared to pay for a licence to fish for WILD migratory fish should be given that choice no matter their background and this should apply to ALL rivers that hold such a head of fish.

2. bucko

bucko New Member

I didn't think that for one moment Alan.

As I said- it sometimes just worries me that if we 'are seen' to condone illegal activity it could bite us on the arse.
    I mean- a major issue amongst salmon and sea trout fishers is the nets at sea but those chaps operate within the law and as such the glorification of poaching (lets call it what it is) makes it easier for them and the powers that be to dismiss our points of view.

I don't doubt for a moment that all contributors on here are law abiding and license paying anglers (these days) but this site is so prominent on the internet and search engines that it really pays to watch what we say sometimes or at least view it with impartiality.

Personally, I would like to see most rivers operated by an amalgamation of angling clubs who supply quality and plentiful fishing at a reasonable yearly price- and I honestly think that would bring a lot of what is left of the 'snatchers' within 'the rules'.

I just don't like to see us as anglers shoot ourselves in the foot and give the riparian owners, landowners and estates another reason to ignore our common goals.

3. foo

Yep agree with that totally mate, Especially the amalgamation. However I feel it will never happen,sadly.
    Another point just worth mentioning in the spirit of the thread is the quality of the seatrout fishing that is available locally. The small becks at skinny,staiths and salty all have a very good run of trout and the occasional salmon from around now and for the rest of summer into late autumn. It is all available on a standard migratory fish licence.
    Every time there is the slightest bit of fresh down all these little becks will get a run of fish and some of these runs are very large numbers.

4. foo

Sorry buddy but gotta disagree with this bit. I go along with a lot of what you say but I have personal friends, some on this forum, who do not have a dishonest bone in their bodies.

5. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The record for the Sea Trout caught by Roy was officially granted, and stood for (i think) 2 years.

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Just shows what is possible , and from the esk too .
    Just slightly off track but are you allowed to use the shrimp on the ssk ? . its a method ive had a dabble at this season not on the esk but i plan to have a go on the esk when the salmon are in the pools ....
    i wonder if many if any managed to get in on that bit of water the river just had and how far they got up . or if there has been salmon in any of the pools on previous rises....

7. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice pic of a young roy there

8. bulltrout

and ive witnessed people who would lead you to believe their whiter than white take foulhooked fish in the past aswell so i agree with you skunkhead no bodys perfect

9. TonyC

TonyC New Member

In the late 70's I was with Roy and several others including a bailif below Ruswarp road bridge at the caravan site one evening when Roy took an even bigger sea trout on a spinner we all estimated it at well over 25lb - it was hooked just beind the gill plate and the bailiff, who watched the whole process, said it had to go back as it was foul hooked - no idea how that happened at all :whistle: :whistle: but the bailiff couldn't spot it !

Roy taught me a massive amount on that river and put me onto my first big sea trout, showed me the mark and said keep spinning there until you catch it - took about 10 minutes and then I thought I was off water skiing.

He had forgotten most of what we all knew - what a character.

10. bulltrout

11. bulltrout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqReU0Vp6DQ
    Go on Roy, 52 seconds in.

12. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have heard storys about that man........ fair enough if ya good enuff to have the system chasing its tail let em....... anyone heard of the fish that snapped 2 80lb class rods the son in law of the lad who was with roy told me the story ....... if all the infomation is correct. .... that had to be a record fish
    apparently it shown itself and they were under no illusion it was a salmon.......

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

13. bulltrout

Perry, about 20 years ago I witnessed a salmon snap two 35lb lines it came up through the pig stye rapids and was hooked it never altered course or speed but could not be stopped, twice it was hooked and twice it snapped the lines. big big fish. for the size of the river it dosent half get some monster fish running it ive seen salmon well over 30lbs on the esk and seatrout well into the 20lbs and that's no exaggeration , I was once told off some old fellas that used to net salmon back in the 60's and 70's of fish up 50lbs caught in the harbour

14. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes monster fish if it did that to two lines.bet you wouldn't of minded landing that brute. ....its one thing I have never done is fish the river got to much on with my sea angling at the minute.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2