1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Esk Characters'

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jan 15, 2010.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Going back say five or so years, when you could almost rely on the October rains on Esk you would generally see the same lads about. Unfortunatley a few dry Octobers mean I haven't seen them at all. There used to be 'George' who I think was from Thornaby- he would always fish Lealholm and sometimes stay at the Board Inn, Dave from Bridlington (I think) who was one of the first people I saw using a rapala on there and I forget the name of the lad but he worked for Yorkshire Water and lived over Goathland way.
    And, one thing that is puzzling me is what was the name of the lad who always fished Sleights with a black and white gundog type by his side?

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The lad who worked for Yorkshire water was called Pete and the lad with the gun dog sounds like Derek Purves. What amazed me about Derek was the ease he could put fish on the bank. One day I hooked a lot more than him but landed one. I think I saw him hook 6 and land 6 with no effort what soever.

One character that everyone knew on the river, including the bailiffs, was Roy Townsend who passed away a couple of years ago. I reckon he would know more about the river than the collective knowledge of all who now fish it.

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Thats them mate, spot on with both names. Haven't seen either of them for a couple of years though. As for RT, who could forget THAT sea trout- I can still remember the picture in Angling Times. What a fish!

4. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Derek still fishes the Esk but spends alot more time on the river Tyne nowadays, alot of the regular Esk lads are fishing further afield now as there is some good value fishing to be had on some of the bigger northeast rivers. As for Roy a Legend on the Esk, taught me a thing or two :wink:

5. bulltrout

Here is a picture of the legendary Roy Townsend and his record breaking Seatrout
    [​IMG]

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Nice one. Thanks for putting that up. What a bruiser of a fish.
    I've been wanting to see another picture of that for years.

7. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

How much did that weigh ?

8. bucko

bucko New Member

If I remember correctly about 27lb Dan.

You'd not miss that if it was going up the beck!

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

That is a beauty Ian, stunning fish. It must be biggest than the current UK record then.

10. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

thats damos uncle

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I saw the Esk in about 1969 when U.D.N killed a lot of Esk fish. I would have been about 13-14 and got the train there.
    There was some really big fish lying covered in white fungy on the river bed at Glazedale.
    Sight that will stick in my mind.PB

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Steve whats the story with the trout. Was he allowed to claim the record? also how much does the fish weigh.

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats some fish that like.....I always thought the record was from the eswk and was around 21lb ish ....?

14. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

What a nice fish

15. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

now thats a seatrout.... i have never seen a sea trout that big.. biggest i have seen was 17lb out of the river wear at shincliffe
    cheers
    Paul

16. bulltrout

Roy held the british record at the time with that seatrout it weighed 20lb 2oz but the current record stands at 28lb 5oz from the river Test in 1992.

17. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Thats a helluva a trout in anyones language. Just one thing though,and no disrespect intended, but how can a snatched fish be eligible as a record ?

18. bucko

bucko New Member

It can't Al- but that wasn't for want of trying in this instance.

19. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

aha thats the impression I had from memory mate. I have also seen Roy and others in action in my dim and distant past.

20. bucko

bucko New Member

Personally, I am aware that a few folk on here have 'colourful' pasts when it comes to migratories.
    But, with all due respect I don't think the glorification of illegal fish taking does us as anglers any good.

For us to be seen to support or condone such methods gives the higher powers more reasons to ignore us when we ask for better conservation measures, more fishing access or relaxation of close seasons and methods.

I realise that this comment will not be to everyone's liking but we have to think of the bigger picture and the potential consequences of sharing such information in such a prominent place.

Yes, to people of a certain age there is a degree of romanticism attached to tales of poachers- but it does rub the noses of law abiding anglers in it a little.

I am in no way disputing peoples rivercraft and knowledge here- and think they are things that should be shared, skills that need passing on before they vanish.

As I said- this is just my opinion and I've never been one to shove it down peoples throats- I just ask of people to consider the bigger picture.