1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. richardfoleher

richardfoleher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

So, I bought a spinning rod in summer to start my venture in to fishing. Had some fun with it and always caught something, even if only a couple of crabs.

As experienced on Saturday, with winter setting in, the wind picking up and the waves a lot bigger, it was pointed out to me by a member on here who ventured along the pier for a spot of fishing himself, that my gear was no good for rougher seas or windier conditions.

I soon realised what he meant as I watched him cast out a good 50-60 yards or so and things stayed where he put them.

So, what do you recommend I should get next?

I don't have buckets of cash so I'm looking for functional, even 3rd 4th or 5th hand goods to start me off, and as funds permit, move up from there. I'm guessing, rod, reels, weights, hooks, and anything els you can think of.

If you have old gear because you've upgraded, then let me know if you're willing to pass/sell it on :)

Rich

2. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

see if you can pick up at 2nd hand Ron Thompson Axellerator for around £40 best beginner rods going, doesnt move in the wind, got a nice strong tip on for when fishing the rough stuff,

3. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mate I have a 13ft Shakespeare rod in the shed that won't be used by me, was given it recently and I will get no use out of it. Isn't worth selling, but is more than capable of catching fish. Will be more than fine off the piers or beaches, struggle in the rocks but if your just getting into it, I doubt you will be venturing onto them. I'll quite happily offer you a rod to get you started, but won't be down Teesside way for about 2 weeks or so. All I ask is that if you don't carry on using it, you pass it on to someone who will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

4. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That was me on pier mate I could see you were struggling just a bit ::) if you do get kitted up and come back I only live 2 min away from there I could pop down and show u how to get set up and bait up with beachcaster

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

5. richardfoleher

Great stuff, I'll drop you a pm with my details and if you just give me a shout when you're heading that way I'll come and meet you, I live in York so not too far away.

6. richardfoleher

ah appreciate that, I suppose we all learnt at some point.

Did you go back that night? If so you didn't happen to see my knife down there did you? I think I knocked it off my tool box while I was struggling with that 22lb cod ;) It was silver with black grips.

cheers and see you there next time

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

No m8 never saw no knife bud and no problem with helping out everyone has to start somewhere m8 6oz breakaway weight's with 5/0 or 6/0 hooks if you google on how to make pulley rigs ect thats a good start

8. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I don't know who you are, but you are proper class.
    :)

9. E.F.C. FOREVER

If u find it difficult to meet and you are oassing through whitby u could drop it off with me and I could pass it on for you and thats a proper nice gesture bud well done u do nice thibgs and nice things happen :)

10. scaleback

scaleback Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

with fishermen around like this it makes me so proud to be a fisherman. what a gteat gesture from you lads top blokes

11. E.F.C. FOREVER

thats what forum about helping improving peoples skills ect. And I have had that much info out of this forum its only right to put a bit back

12. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great attitude that,can't believe somebody giving something away in this day & age,lovely gesture n brilliant to hear people helping out.We all started somewhere,remember it doesn't cost anything to ask & most peeps r only willing to help/offer advice.
    Good luck & best wishes ;)

13. richardfoleher

It is genuinely appreciated. Thanks

14. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Pm sent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

15. marinews

marinews Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one.....

16. marinews

marinews Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one......

17. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done that man !! The only bit of advice I can offer you is keep your rigs simple buy the best second hand fixed spool reel you can afford ,gumtree very good eBay too expensive and fixed spool reels are generally cheaper and easier to get used to than multiplier fill your spool to the lip of your spool and always use a 50/60lb shock leader,I'm sure if anyone is fishing it doesn't hurt to watch what they are doing May pick up the basics, Good luck!

18. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

some good advice here
    try redcar boot sale always cheapies on offer