1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emmotland Pond 2

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by mike_t, Apr 5, 2013.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I have been chomping at the bit to get out for a while but the past three trips had been canceled due to the lakes been frozen or flooded. The temperatures were forecast to be only just above freezing but it needed to go.
    I opted to fish pond 2. The fish are not as big as the other ponds but there are more in there. I had the lake to myself so peg 5 give the most scope of water so I dropped into there.
    I fish Mainlines Cell on one rod in silt at the bottom of the bar with about half a kilo of chopped boolies and response pellets. Second rod put out on Emmotlands baits Nutty Jaffa, with a few loose offerings. And the third on particle with plastic corn on as bait. One into the gully and the particle onto a hard patch over the far side.
    The forecast was right but the wind chill made it really cold. But within two hours I had my first take, which lead to nothing. Shortening the hook length down a bit so next time they would hopefully get nailed. Back out with another half kilo of bait and then I realised I had left my bait at home so I had only enough for one more trip out. And sure enough another run on the cell, striking but nothing on the end again. So different rig on with a snow man set up. And out with the last of the bait.
    Through the night it was freezing a light frost over the bivy but nothing too harsh. But not a bite through the night.
    Next day recast the rods, sparked up the kettle and the cell rod pulled tight and stopped. With I had been done Again or the was a fish with a trailing lead. And now the bait was gone and resulted in no more bites.
    The next night there was a hard frost the margins froze up the bivy was covered in frost and the dogs water was a solid block of ice. The fishing was very hard but I put it downo still been too cold the fish were not fully on the mooch.
    My peg I was in looking across to peg 2.

[​IMG]

My particle rig, checked in the margin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sweet corn I will be trying out this year
    [​IMG]

And a few snaps of other pegs, peg 4A to the right of 5, not a lot of water to go at very close to 5
    [​IMG]

Peg 4 with 3a across the lake. A nice bit of water to go at, a bay to your right and plenty of weed and pads in the summer.
    [​IMG]

Going back in a few week hopefully the carp will play ball and will have a few smiling at the camera.
    Cheers for reading, Mike

2. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Nice report - thanks for posting it.
    Hard luck with the missed fish.