1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Edible Crabs For Bait ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by 16979arkle, Sep 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 16979arkle

16979arkle Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi has anyone got any edible peelers available cheers

2. Charliepat

Charliepat Blenny

Re: edibles

Hi mate.
    That really is a question that should not be asked on the forum!!
    Find somebody who MAY, sell you some crab for cart instead!

3. JohnSLocker

JohnSLocker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: edibles

To clarify as to why not to ask that question. Edible crabs are subject to a minimum landing size of 130mm across the back. Also there is a byelaw that "Prohibits the use of edible crab as a bait source within the Authority’s jurisdiction but permits the use of cooked crab offal as bait." So you are best sticking with other peelers - or like was said, go for cart. ;)

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

John, Something Ive never understood, whats the difference between Cart and a legals size edible crab peeler. Both are Edible Crabs and niether are cooked ?

5. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

im glad you asked that, wondered myself :-\ maybe cart is under the same category? :-[

6. robq

robq Rockling

According to legislation the crab " offal" has to be cooked to be permitted for use as bait ???

From what I understand its to stop potters from smashing crabs to rebait pots and save on bait costs

I suppose you could tell any fisheries officer that your cart has been cooked very slightly during preparation ;D

I noticed on a poster from a match up north that all edible carb baits, cart or peeler were banned as its the law !

7. Baramundi Bob

The next IFCA up the coast has different legislation in place. Dont know what it says but I know ours is unique to NEIFCA, And allows the use of cooked offal. I also know the fishing clubs up there set different rules to ones down here. Many of them have also banned whites which are legal.

But if you can tell a fisheries officer you slightly cooked your crab, how come you cant tell him you slightly cooked your legal size peeler ? Your still using the same part of the crab.

8. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

crab tartare ;)

9. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Congratulations on being very amusing. I liked that line a lot.
    :)

10. glassback

glassback Blenny

there,s only seaham club up north that allows edibles or cart
    for bait .
    all the others have banned it .
    soft or peeler crab was used as bait for lobsters thats why it was
    banned to stop potters useing them

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

Jeremy told me last week he'd either had a newsletter or heard on the grapevine that the use of edible is going to be banned from use totally be it cart or edible.

Law or not I still firmly believe if you bought legal sized live crab from a licensed supplier there isn't a court in the land would convict you, who the hell has the right to tell you what you can and can't do with legally bought crab..

12. Baramundi Bob

Be interesting to see it tested out in a court.

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The whole thing is laughable the only reason the sea fisheries are concerned about useing edible crabs for bait is if it is being used in a bait band in crab pott its to stop fishermen smashing small crabs up to use as lobster bait now if you buy a legal sized crab and wanted to use it for anything except baiting a crab pott whats the problem .

paul.

14. glassback

glassback Blenny

i think your right mart i dont think there would be out they could do if bought leagaly ,but they would definately try

15. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

don't know if its a true fact but id been told earlier that due to the glut

of edibles most potters from the Whitby / scarboro areas were only keeping the big claws

and that the carts were going up to Scotland for whelk bait .

if that was the case, whats wrong with sourcing cart for bait.

16. Baramundi Bob

I wouldnt believe all you read unless it comes from the horses mouth. Last I heard, from a direct conversation with The Chief Fisheries Officer was he would not be making any effort to prosecute anglers using the edible crab byelaw. Unless I hear differently direct from NEIFCA I wont be listening to gossip and hearsay.

17. smokey

smokey Rockling

Not sure who's told you that but there is no glut of crab in Scarborough, quite the opposite in fact.
    What crab there has been is crap quality as well,they haven't hardened up properly all year.

Just to make it clear, the shellfish buyers might be clawing the crab but certainly not the fisherman as its against the law,similar to only having the tails of lobsters.

Glenn, be very carefully who you trust from the fisheries that's all I'll say on the subject.

18. Baramundi Bob

I have witnesses and its minuted. I will ask him again though given that this matter has arisen. Makes no odds to me as I dont winter fish these days and my summer fishing is done with plastics. My car has never smelt so fresh ;)

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Using an undersized crab is one thing but I cannot see how they can implement a law which states you cannot use a crab that has been landed and bought legally for anything other than fishing bait. Off hand, I cant think of anything else that falls into such a catagory.
    if clubs wish to do this its up to them and the rule must be adhered to.
    this has been a grey area for years and the fact that it hadnt been given clarity, to me, suggests that they dont know themselves and prefer to let sleeping dogs lie!

20. 16979arkle

16979arkle Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

where I fish your not supposed to use bye law and I don't use in my club matchs but if I go pleasure fishing or off with paul I will use it