1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eastenders (again)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Went on another foray north yesterday to fish the Eastenders sweepstake open with Andy Barmby and Kelpster. We went to Marsden to have a look and were greeted with an almost unfishable sea. After much deliberation and driving around we decided to fish around the Ranges area hoping that the sea would fall away a bit as it ebbed, well it didn,t! It was tough fishing to say the least but I managed to get 2 cod biggest 5lb 10oz which won me the match. The second cod got third place and combined won the heaviest bag.Andy and Mark seemed to be getting troubled by weed for most of the match and never caught.There was only about 5 cod weighed in, the others being caught from the lee of the piers. I had 4 bites all slack liners which I normally don,t strike at but the 2 I did caught the fish, but given the amount of slack 2 of them gave me I had no option. Small baits and distance were order of the day.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done Ray sounds like another great day. interesting that you don't like to strike slack liners, is there any reason for that ?

Do you think when the sea is really heavy anglers who can cast a good line seem to fair much better. I've seen Mr I'anson fish the north bats and pull fish out when I wouldn't dream of casting in there as it's far too heavy. He seems to get beyond the white water which is where the fish a feeding..

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

No doubt about it Glen, if you can just get behind the last big breaking wave the rewards can be great, if not it can be a lost cause.You can just imagine the cod working that area picking up food struggling in the surge. I would say most of my best bags have been caught in conditions that I would consider being on the verge of unfishable and from various locations ie- Boulby,Hawsker,Ravenscar,Hayburn,and Bempton. Some people still don,t believe that I caught them there.

4. Baramundi Bob

I've seen it a few times Ray. I've watched the likes of Mr Westmoorland (the strangest caster I ever saw - but its so effective), CPS, Andy Crowe and MWW in action. On certain days if you cant get that distance your not in the race.

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

If anyone out there Glen thinks they don,t have to cast far to catch fish,and in many cases they don,t, stand them next to those you,ve mentioned above with a good sea on in open water and watch them get their butts kicked. Distance isn,t everything but its an important string to have in your bow.

6. mww

mww Rockling

:eek: Not sure I should be listed in such esteemed casting company as that....!!!

Are you after something? ;D

7. Peeping John

Peeping John Blenny

There you go Glenn you've heard it from a God, I told you to keep up the practice.Give me a ring or e-mail and we'll get you sorted. Looks like there will be some casting comps on at Redcar this year so something to aim for. We might even get Kelpster out of retirement ;)

8. Baramundi Bob

was gonna suggest we have a get together at Kirkleatham when the clocks change. See if we can get Tim and Acko along. Mind I would be embarrassed if they saw my casting.

Are you up for it John???

9. Paul grover

Paul grover Guest

I have talked to Bob (Arc) about going to Kirky field with Tim Its on the cards just need to set a date. I just got a new reel a Penn super mag Im dying to give that a try out.
    If you have any idea of a date we could do it let me know and We will see if Tims up for it.
    Look forward to it. Acko

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

I can cast me self ,maybe not the distance i think im getting ,but if theres lessons going ,i might pop along like just to see if im doing out wrong ...

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

That,s the spirit lads, it will open new doors for you, some of them may be the ones at the hospital entrance but it will still be worth it. :)

12. cps

cps Rockling

not sure i'm in the same league since i broke the elbow

13. Baramundi Bob

How does Mr Westmooreland get so much distance out of that cast ? Its not a pendulem or anything, just a really strange flick. Doesn't Smokey fish with Paul a bit ?

14. cps

cps Rockling

brute force and ignorance , and a rod thats no good for fishing unless you need to chuck as far as you can, bit like one of mine 8 oz leads befor it bends

15. Baramundi Bob

Yeah. No good to a weekling like me. I'm convinced I would never be a great caster. Killer says its all timing but I look at the better catsers and most are big f*****s

16. Paul grover

Paul grover Guest

No mate I thought that until I met Bob Arc and he showed me how to cast. I was casting twice as far with half the effort in the first session. If any of them lads ever offer to show you some casting snap their hands of Glenn. Youll be amazed I was I was smiling for a week and so was everyone Ive seen go along.
    It is definately technique and timing m8 Give it a go.
    And cheers Bob for introducing me to casting. Its great fun too and theyre a great bunch of lads.
    You dont know what your missing.

17. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

ok paul as you know i'm up for it.the better half is off every other weekend so we should be able to sort something out shortly.

18. Baramundi Bob

I've been taught by one of the best Paul, went for quite some time. I did improve significantly but to get the types of distances you really require can take years.

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

Its not all to do with size Glenn,timing is crucial as is technique,lighter lines like 20-25lb with a leader helps a lot where possible to use.It still amazes me when i watch wessie cast,with him its all tip speed that creates his power,he was telling me the not so long ago hes taught a young lad to cast the same way in his club,and hes already achieving massive distances.Small baits clipped down until they hit the water help a great deal too with heavier leads.

20. Baramundi Bob

It would be hard to describe wessies cast to anyone who hasn't seen it. Correct me if I'm wrong smokey but the rod never appears to come above chest height and sweeps round and then there is an almighty flick at the end of the cast. Out of all the casts Ive seen his would be best suited to some of the places we fish.

It would be interesting to know what these guys can achieve on a field and who has the edge on the casting front. I wonder what the guys who use this forum think???

Ive seen Andy Crowe in action and with a big bait he still casts a mile and then one day at Long hole a couple of years ago (smokey was there) and I saw Wessie and Andy crowe fishing the same mark and think Wessie had the edge although my eyes may have been decieving me. Certainly wessie was the only 1 into fish out of 15 or so anglers, but that could have been his bait. I stuck to my usual 40 yard plop and caught a huge stumpy fish of about 4 pounds. I didn't bother going to the weigh in only to learn later that it would have been top 5. Ive never seen Ramrod fish but I understand he wacks it out to as does cps and mww.

The best cast I ever saw on a field was peeping John and he can hit distances of over 250 yards. He is mentioned in this topic about casting:

http://myfishcasting.org/casting_forum/viewtopic.php?t=2196&sid=8692984436f9e2d0b7c246f90dfe61fd

Just out of interest smokey have you ever measured your cast over grass ?