1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EAST SCOTLAND COD FISHING TRIP

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Oct 18, 2008.

1. IanB

IanB Blenny

What a brilliant report Gary & Al, its a credit to you gents :yes:

2. baza

baza New Member

a report like that doesnt alf wet your appetite. ive only had one weekend in that area a few years ago now, seeing that i dont think it will be too long before im back. brilliant work fellas

3. mike_

mike_ New Member

Excellent report gary :happy: I have always fancied a few days up there but never had the confidence of just heading up there and not knowing what to expect :confused: but after reading your report with all the good info i am defiantly going to give it a go :yes:

well done gary al and his mate

mike

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

Thanks Mike and like i said before if anyone is going up just drop me or big cliff a PM and i will look at the tides forcast and try and point you in the right direction to try to get among the fish, i know what you mean about going up blind and not knowing were to start, Al first fished that area 12yrs back and i went about 9 years ago but since then we try to get up a few times a year and build up a bit more information.

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one boys, i wish i had time in life to go do the things you boys do,, top angling as always gary and big al.

6. Captain_Kev

Captain_Kev Blenny

Great fish, pics and report mate :yes:

Looks really good up there, sound of you to point out a few marks too :happy:

7. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Big Cliff,
    Great posts, very informative.

This is my first winter fishing for cod in the Arbroath area, despite the fact I live just down the road in Dundee. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and have learned a lot about the cod fishing to be had around this coastline.

Thanks to your posts, I have had a few cod this winter. In one session I had 5 fish all in the 2-3lb range from a mark listed in your posts. I have also had the frustration of loosing good fish in the surf when trying to land the bigger fish. Such is life, I'll get a good fish next year.

However, a couple of questions: Most of the fish caught I have returned, but on different occasions have kept a 3 for the pot. One fish was nice and clean, the other two were absolutely riddled with worms (I believe they are known as cod worms). Have you found that any of the marks listed provide clean fish on a routine basis? I was quite disgusted with the number of parasites found on my 2.5-3lb codling. Is this normal, are the larger fish prone to such massive infestations?

Is the cod fishing now finished for the winter season - not even a knock on the last two trips, but the water was very flat and clear.

Hope you can advise.

Regards,

David

8. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads cracking report, what a stunning place. well done on fish

9. Chris j

Chris j Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

one of the best posts ive read ..well done

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi TangleJock,

GJW, BIg Cliff and Maxie seem to know a fair bit about that piece of coastline so they will better answer your questions. But something I can say is that red cod are renowned for worms. Im not sure if you get many tidal WHITER FISH WHERE YOU ARE, BUT IF you can select the whiter looking cod from your catches you stand a better chance of getting a nice fish to eat.

Did you also read Garrys post on summer fishing ?? I understand you have some excellent marks right on your doorstep

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-for-summer-cod

Welcome to the forum by the way, I hope you stick around and tell us about your catches.

11. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Many thanks for the warm welcome to the forum and for the tips. I will certainly look out for the pale fish. In fact, I had already noticed a great deal of variation in the colour, but had assumed that the darker fish (more strongly marked) were the healthier ones. Sounds like it’s the other way round!

Thanks also for the link, again full of good information – will certainly be back to the forum.

I took up cod fishing this winter as my 11-year old son had expressed an interest in sea fishing. I took him to one of the well-fished spots up by Arbroath that is listed in the posts. After 10 minutes he had landed a tiny 8oz codling, you could hear his whoops of delight all along the waterfront much to the amusement of the adjacent seasoned veterans. About an hour later he landed a 3lb codling, lots of cheers from the guys fishing close by – it made my son’s day. But that 8oz fish said it all, a big cheesey grin over his face –leaping and yelling round the beach– my son is now firmly hooked!

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Welcome to the forum David, Like Glenn mentioned the darker coloured fish and red fish tend to have more parasites in there skin, than the fresh cleaner coloured fish..

I am really glad you and your son are now firmly hooked on sea fishing, its important to introduce youngsters and try to keep them intrested, there is a lot more distractions now, with x'box's, playstaions etc, so its not easy to keep up there intrest when its cold and wet and the fish aint biteing, so best avoid times when conditions are not great, like you mentioned it can be really hard work at this time of the year trying to locate fish in flat calm and clear conditions.

Keep us posted on your fishing trips David and if you want to join me Big Cliff and co, when we come up next you will be very welcome, we will be stopping at Inverkieller in June for a week, please feel free to PM me or Al, ( big cliff ).

Tightlines

Gary

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I will second what gjw has said you would be very welcome to come and join us gary hadnt quite got the date right its july 11 that we are up in gods country, its on the cards to get cod 12 months of the year, once may comes round the fishing will improve , just make sure you have peeler
    crab for the best results , the red cod usually carry more worms that the fresh run cod , theres a few places that fresh run fish tend to show
    one is rumness at the north end, theres a large rock formation which looks like a submarine, you get tide run on that mark if you can get a bait
    a good distance out into the run fresh run fish are usually present, auchmithie on the south side of the harbour of the rocks produces quite a
    few fresh run cod as well as some kelpies, ethie haven cod are mainly red fish, ive eaten plenty of fish that have had worms, ive just picked them out and cut away any of the badly effected flesh , hoping to see you in the summer

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!